Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When initials become acronyms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Atwater Mike, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was about to have my pal Brian (sign painter extraordinaire) paint the name of my shop on the doors of my truck...
    Cool thing to do, as it draws prospective clients and can add links to one's golden chain of friendship! :p

The name is simple and to the point: Atwater Speed & Sport. But when Brian laid it out, he did it in the modern perspective of initials. Really neat, with the S's portrayed as 'lightning bolts'...(a little to 'Gestapo-ish' for me, but it was kinda cool...)

Bottom line: No matter HOW he depicted it, it looked like ASS. Er, sorry..."ASS"!
    Soooo.....back to the original plan: Spell it out! See, Brian? Toldja...

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  2. I'd spell it out. I think it looks more professional when a company has their full name on display, and I wouldn't related the second 'S' to 'Sport' personally.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Most dedicated rodders wouldn't. But I worked on Porsches since they were first arriving.
    I still also do 'sport car' repair and mod, so the name...

"Atwater Speed Shop" could also drop me in the same dilemma! Come to think about it...:D

wraymen likes this.
  4. LOL Ol' Man's were JCL, he would some times get a little upidy. On those days his brothers called him Jesus Christ out Lord.

Someone is going to be offended by that but what the heck you can't change history.

falcongeorge likes this.

5. belair

belair

Atwater Speed and Performance - now you can use snakes!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Best International Garage
    Atwater Speed Shop

Kind of long but I bet they don't forget it and every body loves um.;)

loudbang, blowby, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  7. To clarify, I don't have any issue with Atwater Speed & Sport. I think it's got a good ring to it. I just think it would look better if that's how it was lettered on the truck.

To me, personally, just putting A.S.S in some sort of style and font says "I paid by the letter". haha 'Atwater Speed & Sport' says this is my business, and I want you to know exactly what I am.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  8. Dude my initials are P.P. all my life I've been haunted by that....lol

loudbang, Thor1, Fedman and 2 others like this.
  9. Well, you could try and be like the "Cool" kids at Austin Speed Shop and embrace being known as ASS ;)

loudbang likes this.
  10. dan31

dan31

My company-Cedar Ridge Asphalt Paving. We decided to go with Cedar ridge asphalt services.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Well Mike, you could always add under your moniker;
    Home Of Legendary Engineering......
    :D

Nostrebor, wraymen, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  12. Scott

Scott

13. Better to be CRAS (short for Crass? ) than CRAP I guess

dan31 likes this.
  14. don't think you could use B.I.G.A.S.S. as that is the name of a company that manufactures huge ceiling fans.Saw one in a shop with 12 blades;each one 24 ft. long.
    Here is my stool that I use for painting aptly named the Acme Striping Stool. AcmeStool1.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My initials consists of 3 K's, try using those on anything that can be seen in public!
    KK

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  16. my uncle tells people he graduated from Southern Havana Institute of Technology.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:eek:
    That must be one "big ass shop".

18. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

Take a helluva motor to turn that thing, then ya gotta wonder "at what speed will it take off?"

loudbang likes this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see a problem with ASS at all.
    20160823_153601.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  20. I was working on an 18 wheeler show truck. The guy owns a bunch of tractor-trailers and the fan was in one building that had a huge pit for working underneath the trucks. I asked him about it and he mentioned that it is speed controlled and you have to be really careful increasing the speed because if you get it going too fast it shakes the whole building..It actually revolves pretty slowly but moves a bunch of air.It really works great in the cold weather keeping the heat down at floor level.

loudbang likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OK
    I have to here you say each fan blade is 24 feet long.

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The initials of my "given" name, are LSD. I was in high school 66-69, and when the kids found out my initials were LSD, my nickname became ACID for a while. I was as straight laced as they come, and here I'm being called ACID. Got lots of looks, and "what's that all about"? Thankfully it died out fairly quickly. Now, I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang, wraymen and falcongeorge like this.