Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration (((((((( Friday Art Show, 08/19/2016 ))))))))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryC., Aug 19, 2016.

1. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

Thanks Ron, sorry I didn't notice the mention before. We all start somewhere, in the beginning all I had was a pencil and sketchbook and just walked around sketching stuff. Where I am now is just an eight year evolution from that.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

nah 009.JPG Saw a old closed down gas station in the country last week. I figured somebody may want it for a background. I wish I knew more about blending photos into a scene but I spend too much time in front of a computer as it s.

3. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Cool capture .....I may try to use it with a hot rod image.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. cmarcus

cmarcus

Been playing with some older photos, trying to "age" my digital photos a bit. More coming...
    SEAWEED FLAMES.jpg PONCHO HOOD.jpg

Stogy, Randy Routt, Spoggie and 13 others like this.
  5. I tried to add color to a couple of the sketches I did this morning, plus a few finishing touches. Now I didn't say , 004.jpg that it is an improvement . lol Thanks for another great week of F.A.S.

kiwijeff, ct1932ford, Spoggie and 8 others like this.
  6. One more of the Challenger 2 with the old paint scheme. 005.jpg

7. Ron,...thanks for the compliments, much appreciated,...I just love old abandoned cars & trucks and junkyards, ...they're easier to draw than really nice cars and seem to have much more character.
    ...you're not bad yourself, I'm impressed with lots of your stuff.
    ...most difficult part of drawing on wood is finding clear, knot-free wood without spending for quality lumber,...sometimes I can hide the knots or darker wood streaks in the scene... I use a Flair pen and Sharpie markers, lead pencils and sometimes colored pencils....when done, I clear with 2 coats of satin varnish. I turned to wood as I wanted something more durable and permanent than paper. Thanks again to every one for the "likes"
    . fas 306.jpg fas 334.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    b-bop, Muttley, kiwijeff and 22 others like this.
  8. KCsledz

KCsledz

Here is my art for the week. Currently working on casting these Frankenstein rings. This one was a first attempt. Lots to learn but almost there. Brass didn't flow hot enough. Should be able to give it another try in a week or two.

[​IMG]

SAM3 Customs, Jet96, themoose and 8 others like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I used to spend a lot of money for the best art supplies. They were always worth less when I was done with them.:(

57 Corvette ~ Bob and Davkin like this.
  10. harley rider

harley rider

hey rusty I really like your drawings on wood. I am no artist, I am a woodworker though. do you prefer the pine? have you ever tried other less knotty smooth grained woods like poplar or maple? I know it costs less. what do you get for these I would like to have one?

11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

You folks do awesome work & make my day!

Pete

12. I'm with Bob, Randy, I think I wanna use this for a background. Great shot my friend.

57 Corvette ~ Bob likes this.
  13. Harley Rider,..thanks for the comments,...I use mostly Pine, sometimes others like Basswood, etc....Pine seems cheapest around here locally.
    ...sent you a PM...

14. flathead from SoCal open house '15 FAS 19 Aug 16.jpg

15. Jeez... page 4? Great show guys! I was gone all day yesterday and had to get my FAS fix this morning. Here's a little bump. :)

16. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Very talented work guys. Rusty 1 I really like your work. How much you get for those?

17. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Still the best with my Saturday morning coffee!

Devin

18. GaryC.

GaryC.

Thanks for the "likes" on my old car ads. It's very appreciated!
    I noticed a couple abandoned gas station photos and thought I'd post one I shot several years ago.
    Have a great weekend everyone. gas station grayscale.png

Animal, Spoggie, oldsjoe and 5 others like this.
  19. chevydave,...most any of those posted would be $45-65 .00 range plus shipping.

20. sololobo

sololobo

nice show kids, nice Bonneville bike Gary Morris/2nd chance

Spoggie likes this.
  21. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Got a pic of a old Chevy dealership in Edwards, Ms. Been closed a long time in anyone wants to use this, ok with me june 17 019.JPG june 17 014.JPG june 17 017.JPG Also a pic of a 64 Comet hiding in Kudzu. Kudzu is not a town in Illinois. Also a picture of a two lane highway with a steel bridge

Jigger and 57 Corvette ~ Bob like this.
  22. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

23. Just some things around my shop to look at when I get boared IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3564.JPG IMG_3565.JPG IMG_3566.JPG IMG_3567.JPG IMG_3568.JPG

24. I really dig your drawings but take this as advice given from someone who fixes old master paintings for museums all day, Sharpies are a terrible art medium from a longevity stand point. They fade horribly fast, something we call "fugitive". Stick with pencils if you can, get a full set with a deep range and you can still get good deep blacks. Not a knock but if you want it to outlive you, Sharpies are not the way to go. Also be careful what varnish you choose many yellow pretty fast with exposure to UV. The spray can Fixative for pastels sold at art stores is usually a product called Acryloid B-72 (it wont be on the label like that as it is usually an industrial secret what is in the can) and that is a good one to use. It is a synthetic that does not yellow and can be taken off in xylene if need be and can be surface cleaned for dirt without spoiling.

Jigger likes this.
  25. Muttley

Muttley

That's a '65. :( Someone needs to rescue that car.

26. Great advice. I’d definitely look into pens using archival ink (like india) as they are color fast. I’ve used Crystal clear with UV protection on drawings and it has done well to preserve both paper and medium longevity. Clear as can be and available in gloss, satin and flat. Satin is nice!

27. Lady's Hair spray works well for pencil drawings,... just don't load it up with it ...A little go's a long way

28. ..thanks all for the advice,...I've used Sharpies(and others like them) for over 25+ years, and many of my friends have my "boards" that still look ok if not displayed in the direct sunlight.
    ...I may try some of the pens/ink suggested to see how they work,...have tried some in the past but the ink gets sucked into the soft grain of Pine ...which makes a fuzzy line.
    ...the Crystal clear varnish sounds interesting,..is it spray or brush on?
    ...I've used nothing but oil base Minwax satin varnish for years, which is brushed on.
    ...I appreciate the interest and suggestions;...it's nice you guys are trying to preserve my 'doodles'
    ...how the heck did Michaelangelo know what kind of paints to use?
    ...maybe more of you guys need to buy my stuff now before it fades away;...at these prices if they last 10-20 years they are still a bargain.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016