Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old automobila is cool but safety took a back seat.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 14, 2016.

1. I remember standing up in the seat next to by dad in the early 50's and him throwing his dig right arm across my chest if he had to hit the brakes,later on when my sister came along my dad started thinking about safety and added seat belts.

Since my sister was too young to strap in he bought a over the seat child seat,and she rode many a mile playing with the steering wheel and mashing that darn beep horn.

These things certainly were not safe but considering the time they were convenient for the driver..

Did you or any of your siblings ride in one of these?HRP

6caaa6ae9f5e43af3f77d7331f557c92.jpg

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember those well-also the arm across the passenger. I still do it from time to time-habit I guess. Wife looks at me like I'm nuts!!

3. ...so this is what the HAMB has come to...lol

4. I sat on my dad's lap and held onto the steering wheel of our brand new '46 Pontiac.

5. I remember laying on the package tray in the back window-later on my Dad bought station wagons-lots of room to play there-my little brother just sat on my mom's lap in the front seat or layed in a small sitter in the middle of the front bench seat-nothing was strapped down...

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Nope, This is where it started for many:D Not me though I would have been one of the back dash riders myself, I do remember playing with hotwheels in the back dash area while rolling down the road as a kid:D

LOU WELLS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. No,but a commentary & discussion on just how we got to where we are,it will be interesting until someone goes to the front office crying foul. HRP

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I see these from time to time in back seats at car shows etc. Im not sure they were ever meant for a safety device as much as they were for a kid to have a place to sit up and enjoy the ride, luckily tho I think those evolved into the modern day safety car seat we have today.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. No safety seat in my childhood, but I remember riding on the back seat of my Mom's black '56 Ford Sunliner convertible when we got rear-ended at a traffic light by an Armour meat delivery truck. I got slammed into the back of the passenger-side seat and got my bell rang pretty good! Totaled the car and left me with bruises. Car was replaced with a tan & white '58 Sunliner that wasn't nearly as pretty as the '56. Still have a soft spot for '56 Sunliners.

Jim

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    302GMC, HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  10. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Didn't have the child seat but remember riding standing up in the back seat holding on to the cord that ran across the back of the front seat.

HOTRODPRIMER and Texas Webb like this.
  11. Pete

Pete

Yup.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. image.jpeg
    They are traditional...Norm says so!

13. Norman used one. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. 2935ford

2935ford

Back in the day.......the old man hit the brakes and both my brother and I in the back seat flew forward fortunately not out through the windshield! :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I'm in my late 30's so it's a bit before my time, I remember actual car seats growing up. I do however remember our family dog riding in the car or even in the back of our truck. Now today that is even frowned upon and this is what is expected of us: ;)

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. As a kid in the 50's I remember riding it the bed of pickups more than in the cab. HRP

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I remember just sitting in the passenger seat of Mom's old Galaxie convertible or Pop's El Camino and riding in the back of several old F-100's in my youth.

It was a simpler time that I am glad that I got to be a part of.

18. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I did the same thing of my uncle's '40 Ford coupe! I guess that is where my love for them first began.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I'm to young.....

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. We had this '51 Ford when I was a young lad (shown here before and after a spray bomb paint job). It had 08152016.jpg a hole rusted through in the back floorboard and my Dad never liked to stop on a trip if I had to pee. All I can say is, I'm glad the car wasn't lowered!:eek::D

21. I'm too young for pre-child seat years... I remember being on the verge of outgrowing my child seat, and I feared getting my thighs bit by the centre buckle that connected the chest restraints to the front bottom of the seat.

That being said, I also grew up in farming country, and spent a good deal of time riding around in the bed of pickup trucks, standing on the tongue of the wagons when the tractor was pulling, or riding on top of a fully loaded hay wagon. In hindsight, being 20+ feet up in the air, riding on the wagon wasn't the safest, but it was the most comfortable way to travel.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. LongT

LongT

Now most of us old enough used that arm across when braking trick to "save" the girl riding there. Right!?!

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Remember riding in the back seat of my Dads 49 Chevy.Standing up all the way.Fun times for sure.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I remember my grandparents telling me about putting my infant father on the package tray of their 37 Chevy coupe and driving back and forth between LA and Fresno. This was back in the good old suicide lane on the Grapevine.

I vaguely remember play in the backseat and floorboards of my parents 61 Chevy. Don't know what, if any kind of safety seat I had. I turned out just fine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

czuch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recall those seats very well and the arm coming across to "shield" me. How the hell did any of us survive ??

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    When my dad had his huge 49 Buick sedan, my brother and I always had tons of room to mess around in the back seat. The package tray was always the fun place to be. But, one day my mom bought us some ice cream Popsicles and we were going down the road. The Popsicle started melting so I was told to hold it outside of the window. Which I did. I must have stepped on the door latch or something as the next thing I knew the door opened and I was swinging out of the main part of the car hanging on with both elbows over the window sill. My dad was only going about 15mph, but now my brother was yelling at my dad to stop. They were all yelling at me to drop the Popsicle...no way... Finally, the car came to a stop and I jumped down. The popsicle was saved and I was happy, oblivious to what had just happened. Nowadays. the rear door has a safety latch to keep things like this from happening...Technology is good. But, so was that cold popsicle...
    Jnaki

czuch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Kinda like shovin' in the clutch on an automatic years aftr u stopped driving a stick ?

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Never adjust your manual seat adjustment while in motion with your foot touching the brake pedal either:D

Thor1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. That will leave a mark! HRP

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my mom actually did that once when she had to rent a car while hers was in the shop. she couldn't get the car to move and came and got me to have a look. she had been driving a stick shift for so long she was trying to take off with her foot on the brake.

czuch, LOU WELLS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.