Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi rocker shaft collar locks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by A.A.Additude, Aug 8, 2016.

1. A.A.Additude

A.A.Additude
    from NE Kansas

Anyone using the collar locks on their rockers? Ive been getting some noise from them i believe. Is it common for them to clatter a little bit? I set them at .020 clearance and just now gunna try .015 as per instructions. I read somewhere that the original springs kept tension on assembly and kept this from happening. Mr TRwaters can chime in lol. The noise scared me and i just put 50 miles on this engine. Just seein if other people might hear this too? Thanks for any reply[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would venture to say that the collars are not the cause of the noise. Are you getting it on both heads?
    I do have a spring washer kit that can be used between the rocker arms and the collars, although I don't think it is necessary.
    If the collars do appear to be the cause of your noise, email me and we can arrange a return and full refund.

270dodge likes this.
  3. from the picture you posted the push rods appear to not be close to centered in the head. the exhaust on the far left side really shows the offset. do the pushrods show any spots were they might be hitting the head? its not uncommon to need to open up the pushrod holes.

4. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

The springs give the rockers more opportunity to "center" themselves. I used the lock collars on my racing hemi 's but don't think I would use them on a driver. Just sayin...

5. A.A.Additude

A.A.Additude
    from NE Kansas

Yea i had them somewhat loose in the photo, they center pretty good, i checked all that. Im goin to try to isolate the noise, may not be it, i needed to readjust valves anywhoo couldve been the source...Its ok Tom, thanks for the input. I appreciate your offer.. These rockers that you built work excellent! I may put springs back in someday. Ill give an update soon thanks guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app