Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's a 1961 Plymouth Savoy with a Fury front bumper overrider..

chriseakin and willy1947 like this.
  2. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

[​IMG]
    Just how many races has this car logged, anyway?

3. is that Don Lajoie?

chriseakin likes this.
  4. image.jpeg
    This pict . was taken on the river road in BBNP area . That's right down the road from my house . Great road .
    About 2 more miles is where they had the bottle of DOM in the movie Fandango.

chriseakin, willy1947 and Deepwater like this.
  5. [​IMG]
    Just too darn cute

chriseakin, Deepwater and Bomb like this.
  6. It's an infamous yellow Mopar taxi crab.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  7. scrubba

scrubba

One of the last "Exner " cars .....

8. If I may; I'm keenly interested in the 1953 Stude. I 've always known it was a "Loewy design". Researching a little bit, I find that the 1953 really was just a refinement of the 1952, that Exner in fact had once worked for Loewy and gotten fired (in 1944 I think), and after his time at Studebaker, he went on to Chrysler.

And through all of it, you can see (well at least I can) a repeated design theme, especially initially with that famous split grille (included in the Ghia) and on through his last days at Chrysler.

And after common to what I thought was an amazing discovery, it turns out others have also long known all tis and more, and have written tons of papers, articles and books on the guy.

Although Loewy I suppose can take credit as an original "Industrial Designer", he really had brass balls to let Studebaker credit him with the 53 Stude.

Exner was an extraordinarily talented man.

9. Southfork

Southfork

This is why you don't see too many '37 -39 Ford Coupes today. They got all used up in the 1950s!

10. [​IMG]

I see a lot of bull here.
    All kidding aside, this model is growing on me although it's taken me nearly 50 years. It's better than anything made these days.

11. I think it is Marv Harold;)

12. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

This is a good shot !May Son has some of the Harroun photo collection ....Kinda Cool stockcars (39).jpg Check out his Race # 32 way Cool

13. The Jetties Cafe in Port Isabel on South Padre Island, TX
    [​IMG]

nightmoves, willy1947 and Deepwater like this.
  14. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

No. You have this all mixed up. First of all, the '52 Studebaker was just a facelift again of the '47 design. It is that design that Exner did when working for Loewy's studio, That is the design Loewy wrongfully took credit for. Anger over this and other issues are why Exner left and went to Chrysler. Loewy's studio produced the '53 design but there is no evidence Exner did it as he was already at Chrysler by that time(49-63). Loewy was not above taking credit for other people's designs who were working for his studio. If you want to read about that, read the article that appeared in Collectible Automobile about the design team that was sequestered in Palm Springs to design the Avanti. It can probably be googled.
    I personally love Exner's work at Chrysler. The '61 Plymouth was not his final design at Chrysler as stated.

15. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

bozo at soldier field.jpg
    Chicago's legendary Bozo the Clown (aka Bob Bell) arriving at Soldier Field courtesy of the local Shriners, circa '62 or '63. Frame capture from recently discovered film footage.

16. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    This mechanic from days gone by had balls of steel from days gone by too!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pine Logging Company, Dinkey Creek, California

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.