Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting an old 1948 chevy pickup hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Strohman, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Mark Strohman

Mark Strohman

I am currently working on a 2 piece hood for my 1948 Chevy pickup. I picked it up at spring Carlisle show and it was primed on the top and red paint on the inside. It has some small dings and imperfections that I am working on. So I started by sanding the sheen off with 320 grit paper. Then body filled he problem areas. My question now is should I prime over the whole thing with epoxy or go with a 2k primer? Will the epoxy primer hold to already painted surface that seems to be very sound? What will give the best rust protection and best final paint finish?

2. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

If you want the best possible finish you should strip it to bare metal and start over. It may look fine now but you don't want surprises later after you spent the money putting a nice paintjob on it. Who knows whats under that primer.

TagMan likes this.