Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 T-Bird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Recently picked up a '57 T-bird project - runs, drives, stops, but body is in primer with rough wheel well lips and needing rocker panels redone. Otherwise, fairly complete and rust free. Plans are to do a 60s-flavor hot rod on it -probably run Tork Thrust wheels in 16 or 17" and get some updates to the brakes & handling for now and go from there.

The front bumper has several areas that have surface rust and the whole thing needs to be rechromed. But it got me wondering if a '55-56 front bumper bolts on...I like the cleaner and simpler front bumper of the '55-56. I realize the parking lights would either disappear or have to be relocated into the fenders like the earlier years, but wondering more about brackets and the fit of the grille and trim. Because I think the grille area is larger on a '57...Anyway, any help anyone can provide is appreciated!

TIA!

Attached Files:

2. Can't help with your question, but can provide some inspiration.
    Here's my buddy's new car, although it's pretty stock. IMG_20160619_174836.jpg IMG_20160619_173821.jpg

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Don Francisco's best '57 ever. What are you going to use for a motor?
    I also remember a really nice clean silver '57 that was in a petersens engine swaps book around 1973. Car looked pretty much stock except for the aluminum slots...and the solid lifter BBC and Muncie...:):)

4. I know it's a '55, but what about Doane Spencer's T Bird?

5. Moondog13

Moondog13

Are 16" or 17" wheels traditional to the '60s?

6. R Pope

R Pope

A 351 Windsor would fit nicely.........T5 and an 8.8 rear.

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

At a minimum, it looks like you would have to modify the Front fenders or there would be a gap between the fender and the bumper.

I think '57 was the best looking bird.

8. need a 55-56 bumper
    filler

9. WOW!
    Congratulations! I've been looking for one for awhile.
    There's a pretty big Bird owners group in our neck of the woods. One of my best friends has a nice driver '57, I'll see if he might know.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - no to large diameter wheels.

11. 16 or 17"wheelswon'tgive you a '60s vibe. 14s is what was king in the '60s.

if you use the earlier bumper you will either need to use the earlier bumper irons or modify the ones that you have and as I recall they bumpers are not an exact fit but close enough for govt work.

12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a big fan of fiberglass reproductions, but these guys used to make a front bumper without the mounting bolts thru it. You have to fab your own brackets, but you get a smooth look. Paint or chrome. They had them on eBay for a while, but I'd give them a call.

http://regalroadsters.com

Most of the bird parts houses will have the patch panels, but I can't tell you what you'll need to change the 57 over to the earlier front panels.

You're limited to about a 27" tall tire on a bird, lower if you go wider. So anything over a 15" wheel is going to pretty out of place.

Go find some pictures of the Francisco 57 and Spnce's 55. Lots of good clues there.

13. BJR

BJR

The front fenders are the same for all 3 years, may need the 55 / 56 bumper filler between the bumper and grill.