Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y-Block exhaust Lincoln vs Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derthor, Jul 21, 2016.

1. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

Hi guys, some questions to the Y-Block gurus. Are there difference between the Ford and the Lincoln exhaust flanges? I want to build a new exhaust system with two lines under my 54 Lincoln Capri or better say I don´t want the crossoverpipe at my engine. Can I use Ford headers or does anyone have dxf files from the header flanges, that I can laser cut them and build my owen once.

2. town sedan

town sedan

The Lincoln is physically larger than the Ford Y-Block. I've seen where some have modified small block Chevy headers to fit the Ford header flange. Maybe something similar could be done with the Lincoln? Anyway not sure if there is a source for ready made Lincoln header flanges. Someone will know. Good luck.
    -Dave

3. Bigger heavy duty Ford Y block trucks have the unique exhaust manifolds you need. If you have factory installed power steering in your Lincoln then prepare for a world of hurt when it comes to trying to fit different manifolds.
    If cornernfool is still on the HAMB maybe he can lend you additional input.

Chris Pellerin likes this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you can find a pair of '56-'57 Lincoln exhaust manifolds they will fit, & be able to use most of the '56-'57 exhaust system to go to the rear. Some mods are required, of course, but this is a good basis to start from. I used the same idea on a '53 back in the '60's & almost no-one noticed the swap under the hood(it makes the Lincoln motor look almost like it's Y-block Ford cousin, the way the exhaust manifolds fit & look.) They really help the performance, especially if you've done any "mods" to the motor.(especially if you've swapped in a '56-'57 368"!!) LOL! Also the manifolds & system from a '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, as it's the same motor.

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

These guys have header flanges for your Lincoln Y-Block. They may also be HAMB Alliance Vendors too!

http://www.victoryheaderflanges.com/flanges_fordlincoln279.html

I would look at the ram horn style manifolds used on 332 and 302 Lincoln Y-Blocks in the MD and HD Ford trucks from the mid and late '50s, that 2many alluded too. Although, that may be difficult to find in Germany.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Easy way to tell the Lincoln parts from Ford is the Lincoln bolts aren't in a straight line, and Fords are.

7. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

thank you all for your help, I think I´ll make a dxf file based on the original manifolds and laser cut them to build my own cause I want to cahnge the steering, too ;-)

8. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Thorsten,
    I have a NOS set of vintage Belond headers for my '54 sitting in the workshop that wait to be installed, so if you need any measurements or photos of them let me know...

9. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

Hey Helge, that sounds good, I´llcontact you if I need it ;-) THX for your offer

10. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

building or better say drawing my new exhaust flanges :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RICH B likes this.
  11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Nice drawing. Here is one of mine. Reworked from a very inexpensive pair I bought off of the demon auction site. I thought they were fine but a little to bulky. There is a Lincoln Y block forum here. Not much on there. Some pictures of how to modify a 390 Blowshield to fit. Other more useful ideas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016