Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. I don't think an upholsterer would care one way or another. Cutting strips and foam and then stitching it together is all just work. The thing that would be hard would be having to buy that many different colors of Zodiac vinyl, as I don't think too many shops would keep a whole lot of it in stock. It can be expensive and it adds up quick.

I second Sancho on that. I've read about this sectioned Econoline but it doesn't say anywhere that I've found why it was never completed. Does anybody know why Larry stopped construction? E

Moriarity and Sancho like this.
  2. From Rik's Custom Car Chronicle:
    "It was 1965, and both Larry and Bill DeCarr got really busy doing other work. Bill with working on more profitable Foreign Sports Cars, and larry with doing more and more single color paint jobs, and preparing the LA Sports Arena show where he would show an insane number of cars painted by him. So the pick up truck was abandoned and although initially Larry did plan to finish it, in never came to that. Eventually Larry sold the remains and he never saw it again. Although Larry was not sure, he thought it ended up being crushed. So sad."

http://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/larry-watson-c-painter/larry-watson-space-age-pick-up/

probike17 and OG lil E like this.
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

Looking at all those ovals against all those angles, maybe they concluded that it just wasn't working out!

Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  4. Moriarity and Sancho like this.
  5. Not to side track the thread from the great and well researched format you have going OG, but I got the whole set of videos in from Doug and I've been watching them this week while the fam is out of town. One of the many cars that I wonder what happened to is the '57 Mercury Ranchero that I have seen so far in the '84 and '85 Spectacular videos. Man....I'm nuts over that car!!

OG lil E likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I wonder if it is the same one that was owned up until just a few years ago by @40panel348 ???

7. This one?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

T-roaster, drdave, 56longroof and 2 others like this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Duh, he said Merc, not Edsel.... sorry

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  10. ^ I was trying to word that in a polite way. ;)

11. That blue one I would have to guess is the same one. How many can there be, plus it's done up as a mile custom. When was that pic taken Sancho, any idea? I'd have to say though, while the blue and white is pretty, I'd have to vote for the yellow with green scallop version from the '85 video.

I do like that Edsel one, too, Mark. I keep trying to convince Floyd Dutton he needs to let me have his black one. Something about their kids laying claim or some such lame story keeps him telling me no. LOL

Sancho, OG lil E and Moriarity like this.
  12. Don't worry about "sidetracking", Doc. Anything to keep the thread moving along is fine with me. The '85 video is my favorite of the ones I have, although choosing a favorite is really tough. I ordered the '84 video from Doug, but it hasn't arrived yet. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

The Merc-ero you're talking about belonged to Gary Minor. In the beginning of the '85 video when it starts at Jon Gullett's place and the '55 Ford rolls in, Jon mentions they'd better get to the host hotel to meet Gary Minor.
    If you watch the video closely, there are a few times the camera catches it, and you can see it says "Minor Miracles" on the tailgate.
    If I get to the Leadsled this year, (which it looks like it might happen), I'd like to ask Gary about it. I've tried to talk to him in years past at the Leadsled, but he is kinda gruff and unapproachable, so maybe one of you other guys can get him to open up about it.
    Although, rumor has it that he may not be attending the Leadsled this year. After going to every one for 35 straight years, he is unhappy due to the way the show has changed and may not be back. I hope he changes his mind, but I guess I can understand his decision..........E

Too Tall, Moriarity, drdave and 3 others like this.
  13. If you search some of the old Hot Rod Mags,,Jack Simon of Dallas built a 57 Merc Ranchero,black and silver..This was in about 1958 -1960...Jack Simon & Son Paint & Body,,,Jacks sons were in on the build..
    Fred and Tony,,

drdave likes this.
  14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a kool thread, I've enjoyed reading all of the post.,,,,, I'll ask Gary if he is in Salina. The big reason that he wasn't going to attend the Spectacular was the heat. They are use to 70 degrees and 113 was just way to hot for them to enjoy. This year it looks like 90 degrees will be the temperature so maybe he will change his mind.

drdave and OG lil E like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Does anyone have photos of a custom show car from back in the late 60's early 70's that had a bubble dome top and steered by a lever instead of a steering wheel?
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

16. Those photos are from carnut. Upon further digging, they are from the 1999 Merc/Deuce Reunion in Davenport. It has Illinois plates on it in the photos if that helps....

drdave and OG lil E like this.
  17. Jnaki, that could have been one of a few cars.
    Roth's Beatnik Bandit:
    [​IMG]

Starbird's Predicta:
    [​IMG]

CamaroGirl, T-roaster, drdave and 2 others like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Thanks for those photos, but it was not as famous as the Beatnik Bandit or any of Starbird's cars. It was in So Cal during the late 60's and I lost track around 74. It used to be popular in the show circuit then. If I remember correctly (sorry, crs) it had a lever for steering, not a typical wheel.
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

19. Do you remember any other details? Color?

The X-Sonic Corvette?
    [​IMG]

T-roaster and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I saw that photo online and thought the car was what I remembered. (as much as I could remember) But it also looked like that Predicta model. as far as color, light blue pearl? It could not have been that one as i saw it in So Cal. I took photos of the car and submitted to a car magazine, but they rejected it saying it was not to their liking or taste. So, I gave all of the photos to the owner. I have lost all contact with him since it was 1972 or 74 and I was starting to get out of the photo/journalism business. I drove the car around the photo shoot area and it certainly was a show car only. That car would be dangerous as a daily driver. Did I say that under the dome it was hotter than &^^%%?
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

drdave and Sancho like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This is an old thread but here's what I know about this custom.
    I remember seeing the Dean Bordner Ford many years ago when it was tangerine and featured in a car mag. Never thought I'd see it in person.
    My friend Dick Roberts briefly owned the Dean Bordner shoebox in 1996. Dick bought it from Larry Bogard (RIP) a car dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. Dick sold it to Ron Staples in FL. Ron did a great job of finishing the car and car and painted it black with the turquoise wheels. I took the 1st, 4th and 5th photos when Dick stopped by my house to show me the car right after he trailered it home from Bogard's shop. That's me in the last photo. The second photo shows Dick and his new find at his home.. The 3rd photo is of my friend Joe Trotta "checking out" the car. . At this time the interior was not done but it did have an original Crestliner steering wheel. I can't recall who did the flames, but I will ask Dick next time I see him. This car is no doubt one of the nicest sectioned shoeboxes EVER. It's great that Ron finished it and made it a "survivor". I know it was for sale a while back. Hope this history helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  22. E, I'll have to try to find you this weekend. I won't be anywhere near my car, so I may be hard to find, as I spend most of my time wandering around, taking pics and yacking. LOL. I am excited to see the weather forecast is calling for 90 or even a bit less. This being my first Salina trip, I was not looking forward to the 100+ heat, but was willing to take the chance since it looks like lots of cool stuff will be headed that way this year. :)

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  23. Thanks for chiming in 19Fordy. I love learning more about old customs and hearing the stories from the "good ol' days". Great pics, too. Take care! E

Moriarity and Sancho like this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Gary makes trips cross country in an old car all the time. He grew up on the east coast and returns at least once a year, if not more. He has attended the Custom Car Revival In Indy the last 3 years. Not to mention every Leadsled spectacular since day ONE. The heat is one reason for not attending, Plus he is getting OLD. His Knees are shot and it`s hard for him to walk. For those who don`t know, He lives in California. In the early days of KKOA, I could always spot Gary`s car. They were always customs ,in primer and from California. Years later I met him and told him that story. And rattled off some of the cars he had in the past. We`ve been friends since. His wife is always close by, enjoying the hobby with him.

25. 49toad

49toad

E, I shipped the DVD Mon. Please look me up in Saline. Doug

OG lil E likes this.
  26. Thanks Doug, it was here waiting for me when I got home today. See you in Salina! E

Moriarity likes this.
  27. Hey everybody! Please excuse my tardiness on the post this week. I've been super busy, worked some overtime as well as getting the daily ready for my run to Kansas this weekend. Also, for this week's car, information was a little hard to come by. So, without any further delay..........

What Ever Happened To..........? number 16.

193? Mopar "The Big Bopper"
    Owner: Guy Root
    Emporia, Kansas

The first time I ever saw this car was on the 1986 KKOA Leadsled Spectacular video. Loved it immediately. I've always thought the late 30's Mopar coupes were art-deco royalty. Unfortunately, many people didn't feel that way in the old days. Nowadays, everybody is looking for a ride that is a little bit different to turn into a kustom, but back then, everyone pretty much kept to the "mainstream" makes and models.
    That mentality really made this old Mopar a unique car at the shows. The yellow paint and crazy scallops definitely made it stand out from the rest as well. I also really like the frenched taillights, complete with '58 Mercury lenses. I don't know the old Mopar pre-war coupes very well, and I'm a little embarrassed that I can't say for sure what year and make it was. I'm guessing it's a '39 Dodge, but I could be way off. If any of you out there know for sure, please let me know so I can put it in the heading.
    The only video I found it on was the '86 Spectacular. I could have sworn that it was on a few other videos, but '86 was it. (I just received my copy of the '84 Spectacular--THANKS DOUG!, but I'm not watching it until after the Leadsled this weekend--it might be on there, not sure yet.)
    I found no magazine coverage of it in my collection, but I did find some great pictures of it on Rikster's site, courtesy of Scott Pavey and Dr. Dave. In my picture research, besides the '86 Leadsled, it looks like the car was at the '87 KKOA Hangin' Dice in the bright yellow. It was also at the '89 Hangin' Dice in a new color that looks like a metallic pinkish-burgundy. The last color looked nice, but the dummies and mirrors should have stayed chrome, the Fiestas should have stayed, as well as the skirts. This car is a natural taildragger, skirts are a must have.
    All in all a neat custom that seemed to vanish after the '89 season. It was too kool of a car to just disappear altogether. It has to be out there somewhere!
    Special thanks this week goes out to Rikster once again for his stellar site, and to Scott Pavey and our own Dr. Dave for the pictures. I'd also like to thank my good friend @PasoJohn for Mr. Root's name and home city and state. I had no information on this car whatsoever, and everyone's help made it a lot easier to share on this post.
    Until next week, keep cruisin'. See you in Salina..........E

ScottPaveyPhoto172-vi.jpg

ScottPaveyPhoto173-vi.jpg

KKOAArkansas87DrDave104-vi.jpg

KKOAArkansas87DrDave105-vi.jpg

Hangindicenats89_DrDave029-vi.jpg

ScottPaveyPhoto316-vi.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Moriarity, T-roaster, John B and 4 others like this.
  28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I believe Fred cut it up and the junk man hauled it off. Tony was doing welding certification for I-Car a few years ago, and he still had the Metropolitan .

29. Here's a rendering I did of Larry Watsons "Space Age Pickup" and how it might have look if completed...

watson3.jpg

30. Ouch, that hurts...........E

Moriarity likes this.