Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HF sand blasting cabinet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I picked up a floor model "as is" floor model type sand blasting cabinet from Princess Auto, CDN version of HF. It was only partially assembled and it had a couple of parts missing but I still got a VERY good deal on it. However, I do have a question; there is a plug for the vent on the back wall behind the baffle. So is the hole ,about 4" in diameter supposed to be open or closed with the plug? Thanks.

2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Vacuum cleaner or dust reclaimer hole I'm guessing

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yup, vacuum cleaner hole.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

There is a smaller 2" hole on the left hand wall for the vacuum hose. That is why I am confused. Any other comments?

5. Mine had the big hole on the back as well. I just plugged it with a pvc plug and drilled a few holes in it to let it vent a little and not make such a mess out the back, and then used an old shop vac on the small hole on the side. Works great. I would recommend ditching the stupid light that it comes with and wire up an exterior flood light on it. Really lights it up inside.

lothiandon1940 and Andy like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks, I won't be installing the light, going with three mini halogens. I have the plug for the big hole but it is curious why it is designed this way. So you say you kinda have to have a few small vent holes in the cap to make the unit operate properly? Definitely using a vac with a water trap out through the small side hole.

7. I tried it just plugged without the small hols and it worked but no great. Putting the small holes in the plug kinda helped make a draft to draw the dust twords the vac side and clears the air much better.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No Plug..There is an inner air deflector to keep any grit from bouncing out or you can plumb the vacuum exhaust in at that hole for closed circuit but it will get hot in cabinet, I don't think there is a need..

56premiere likes this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well thanks for the ideas/explanations. Not quite ready to run it yet but will try with and with ought plug. I will drill holes if required. Kinda weird that that plugs came for both the smaller hole on the left side of the cabinet as well as the back side where the larger hole is located.

10. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I run mine without the plug, if you put it in the vacuum cleaner will pull the gloves off. I junked the H/F gloves and bought a good set at Granger.

11. Marken

Marken

Keep the big hole open. If you don't, it will not let any air into the cabinet and the vac will not perform well. Mine actually sucked one of the walls in and made a dent.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

LOL...

13. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

The manual for my HF blaster is online here -
    http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68893.pdf

They don't really Identify the baffled port on the back wall except as a "vent port" item 36 (page 19) , and warn on page 7 " Note: Do not use Vent Port (36) in the back of the Blast Cabinet for Dust Collection."

I'll try to remember to look at the blaster the next time I'm at the shop. Dust collection requires an "in" and an "out". Having the shop vac/dust collector suck on a closed cabinet won't pull much dust out.

At first I let the shop vac inhale right on dust port 22.
    All the media, not just dust, was going right into the shop vac pretty quick.
    I put a pvc elbow and pipe on dust port 22 on the inside of the cabinet to make a vertical stand pipe , and slow the dust vac down with a variable speed control.

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So so I guess t he two plugs, one for each hole are if you are not using a vac system. Good tips on the stand pipe, I was going to make a baffle similar to the one already there. I will also use a variable speed control on the vac if needed. Thanks all.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would speculate the plugs were for shipping purposes, to keep the unit clean and potential critters out.

Ray

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The plugs were not installed when I got the unit. Some parts were missing. I already had some sand blasting quality gloves and picked up the glove flange from TP tools. So far I have less than a hundred CDN invested. I'll cut the window out of some acrylic sheet I have and then try it out. Thanks for all the help.

17. Large hole is for inlet air, and the small hole for vacuum hose

Hnstray likes this.