Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods We need a bigger garage....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Jul 17, 2016.

1. LBCD

LBCD

Took a trip to Temecula yesterday for a high school graduation party. Little did I know their neighbor across the street has one of the biggest garages I've ever seen. While walking up the street I spied a Huckster at the front of the garage...everything was locked up tight and I didnt want to be that guy looking through the gate.
    So I walk across the street to my friends house a say there is a huge garage across from him...he says yea...he will be coming by soon! Awesome! We get to talking and we go over to his garage and spend an hour talking cars...bikes...tools...etc
    Ted is his name and is a very cool guy![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, Squablow, clunker and 3 others like this.
  2. Cool.We all need a bigger garage!

3. No matter how big you make it, eventually it's not big enough- never big enough. The stuff expands and multiplies to completely fill the existing space.

stillrunners and Russ B like this.
  4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

My friends need better neighbors! Joe

lbcd likes this.

5. I went from this single car ~ dirt floor,no power except a extension cord from the house,tarp over the front in the winter,no tarp in the summer & wasp during the hot weather.

[​IMG]

To this ~ 30' x 40',insulated,well lit,heat & air and at that time I though it was huge,it didn't take long to realize if it was twice the size it still wouldn't be big enough !

[​IMG]

I guess I need a new photo of my shop,I don't own any of the cars in the photo anymore! :rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Barn Find, Jet96, Texas Webb and 2 others like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

and budget

lbcd likes this.
  7. LBCD

LBCD

The garage is 2 stories...the first floor is his shop where he builds his own desalination stations. He has been in the "water" business a long time... You enter around the back and down a slight embankment. Awesome set up!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in a 100+ year-old farmhouse when I got married, 50-years ago. It had a dirt cellar that was only 5' high. I built a chopper down there and had a hell of a lot of fun doing it, but I'm awful happy to have the workshop I have now. Starting out poor makes you appreciate what you've worked for and I'm glad I wasn't born rich - it's been a fun ride !
    [​IMG]

9. LBCD

LBCD

10. looking to say goodbye to my old dirt floors.....40 yrs of stuff in there....

11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

3000 square ft.,.....not big enough!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  12. I have a 30x60 and a 30x40 and both are filled up and still have a yard full of cars!

oldsjoe likes this.
  13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I was working in a gravel patch in the side yard for a long time. Until I built a 36x36 with 12' ceiling heat and air! One helluva step up! Had to leave that set up behind moved here to an old 3 car garage with broken up concrete floors and only 16'6" deep. Sucked but in time I was able to tear that down and put up my 30x40 not big enough but it will do. I'm not near as active in the garage as I used to be. Not by choice. Joe

14. I worked on my cars on a dirt driveway for a long time as a kid. Even in my stock car days, impossible to get a car inside my dad's 1.5 car garage. So it was outside under a tarp. Made the quantum leap to a 2.5 car garage 30 years ago, but the machine shop stuff sucks up a lot of space. I'd love to go out back about 10'-12' but dread the legalities that go with that. I'm far enough from neighbors so possible to pull it off.

lbcd likes this.
  15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dads new shop is just shy of 10k square feet. I think I could make it work... So jealous

oldsjoe and lbcd like this.
  16. Ha!!!
    I started with dads cram packed 2 car, no room to work so it was the driveway or garage porch. Moved into my own place with 2 car attached and I built a 30x30. That was nice for a while.

Moved and a 40x 40 huge dirt floor barn that stunk like horse shit. That really sucked.

Moved again and had a extra deep 2 car attached and a 20x60 out back. Too narrow and filled that to uselessness quickly.

Moved again and I Had a 24x40 with a 8x24 loft. It was big enough until It got Packed so full I had to spend 30 mins moving stuff around to do a little bit of anything and then 30 mins to put it all back. Every day.

So I got 30x100 X 20' high - 3000 square feet. I walked into that space and said to myself "maybe this is too big, good gravey what am I going to do with all this space." That lasted a while, then it got crowded so up went 600 sq feet of pallet racks. That extra 600 sq foot of shelving room really helped (3600 total now) for a while. Revamped the 30x20 existing loft and that extra 600 sf (4200 total now) helped too for a little while. Built a free span mezzanine 30x14 and that extra 420 really helped too (4620 total now) for a while. Next door space came available at a really great price so here comes another 2000 square feet, ( 6620 total now). That space got pallet racks for the start and those added 600 sq feet before I got started in there (7220 total now) it's all nice for the moment but there are times when breathing room, working room, fighting room get cramped.

Going bigger never ever stops ! Don't get on that crazy train. I bet if there were an empty Walmart that would get filled up quick enough.

oldsjoe and lbcd like this.
  17. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here's to progress!
    [​IMG]

lbcd and oldsjoe like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I built my shop, I told my wife there was room for her Impala.
    I didn't lie, there WAS room.

20160108_135441.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi, lbcd and oldsjoe like this.
  19. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Beats working outside.
    [​IMG]

31Vicky with a hemi and oldsjoe like this.