Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Vintage style sprint car build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by big jee, Jul 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. big jee

big jee

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's my sprint car made from mostly model a parts I had laying around .The body and chassis are hand made by me from pictures off the net .I built it to generate a bit of cash to finish another project but once i got to this stage I couldn't part with it. Model b ford engine will look sweet in it.

Pat and Texas Webb like this.
  2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Kudos!!! Very nicely done!! Have you thought about posting it on the Sprint car thread? you should!!

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Very very nice!!! Totally understand not wanting to get rid of it.

4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

5. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Very nice. Would sure like to see some construction photos.
    Pete

6. Cool! I'm trying to build one currently as well. I also would love to see any construction shots if you have them?!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - ya done good

8. I have all the parts and pieces to do one also.
    Some build pics would be great!

9. Raptor

Raptor
    from Louisiana

That looks great. Im wanting to build one also

10. big jee

big jee

image.jpg image.jpg I am happy to share what I've done so far .Over the week I'll pull it apart and go over it taking pictures.The first thing I did was find a plan from way back which gave me a rough guideline.I googled vintage sprintcar plans and got this .I will post more soon

11. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great build!!

12. Those are the K-8 plans by Ray Kuhns, originally published with other car plans in periodicals, and compiled in book form by the AARA back in the early 80's. I drove one made from these plans back then, and it would scoot.

13. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Excellent work! I look forward to construction shots as well.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

These K8 car plans and an article were submitted to Ray Kuns for his "Automobile Racing" series of publications by Walter Klausler who at that time was the Auto Shop instructor at North High School in Minneapolis, MN. They appeared in the 5th edition on pages 30-35 which was published in 1939. Kuns started the series in 1930 and did the last edition, #6 in 1947.

Klausler's students built these cars during the 30's in the school shop to learn auto mechanics and to not do outside work that would take income away from professional garages during the depression. Some of the cars were sold to racers such as Russ Lee and Billy Snyder. Walt also owned a number of them and used them in the lesser IMCA fair races he promoted during his summers, hiring drivers to make up his field of 10-12 cars. Races at that time might consist of time trials, two 6 lap heat races with half the cars in each, a 4 lap trophy dash for the 4 fastest cars and a 10 or 12 lap feature for all cars, with a thrill show intermission like an airplane crash into a building, a parachute jump, a wing walker, or a motorcycle crashing through a burning building.

I worked with Walt and was very close to him until his death and wrote a 5 page biography of him in the mid '90's that was published in an IMCA Oldtimers newsletter the year he was our honoree of the year.

15. big jee

big jee