Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What unusual ways have you transported car parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. I took my 354 Hemi to the machine shop in my Subaru Outback:

engine 04.JPG

...and '32 Ford frame rails to OJ's shop on the wifey's minivan roof rack:

image rails on van roof.jpg

As motojournalist Peter Egan once said, "Fanatics don't ask how, they just do".

How 'bout you?

mgtstumpy, 3340, LOU WELLS and 5 others like this.
  2. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Transmission as carry on luggage from Detroit to San Antonio.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hauled a bantam chassis home in the back of a rabbit diesel pickup.

rt 063.jpg

4. Daniels Auto Repair

Daniels Auto Repair

A driveshaft for my old falcon to and from the machine shop on the back of my little gt 380 Suzuki...I wondered the whole way what is over width on a motorcycle?

5. I drove a 1959 Chevy dump truck 160 mile round trip to load up two 1931 Model A Victoria's,they were completely apart.

This is not the truck but it looks about the same. HRP

1959-chevy dumptruck.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. cfmvw

cfmvw

Lashed a 1958 VW sunroof clip to the top of my '95 Saturn SW2 once...rolled down the windows and ran the rope through them to tie it down, had to get into the car Duke of Hazzard style.

7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Brought a couple of ram horn y block exhausts in my luggage. Got home and found the TSA inspection notice pamphlets. I'm sure the TSA guy must have had one of those wtf moments.

Came home safe and sound.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Jet96, Just Gary and Speedys Garage like this.
  8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Brought home a complete Baby Hemi in the trunk of my 98 Honda Accord coupe. From Omaha to LaCrosse Wi.

Strapped a 41 DeSoto roof to the top of said Honda Accord . Roped through the windows. 20 miles of fun

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You said unusual, I had to get my 9" into my truck from the garage but we just had a big snow storm so I couldn't back the truck up to the garage. I shoveled a path to the truck and put it on this. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468628891.429645.jpg

LOU WELLS, j-jock, rg171352 and 3 others like this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I could tell you a few stories but have no pics so it didn't happen.

11. When I was stationed in the military in South Carolina I bought a complete extra 427 Ford engine to go in my 66 Fairlane so I hauled the whole thing home to Alabama in the trunk. I was surprised it fit, didn't handle half bad either.

12. Daniels Auto Repair

Daniels Auto Repair

I think I have its twin around here somewhere.

Dino64 likes this.
  13. Don,with all the bases in South Carolina,which one. HRP

14. I spent about 2 years at Shaw AFB in Sumter.
    South Carolina has been berry berry gud to me.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Amateurs! Just kidding. I'd bought a one piece fiberglass front end for a 56 Chevrolet, and had no way of getting it to where I stored the car I bought it for (I did't use the fiberglass front end, sold it for profit, and made a tilt steel one for it). So, I borrowed the 63 Chevy II Station Wagon I'd bought for my younger sister (194 six and 3-speed). I took the fiberglass front end and "draped" it over the rear of the Wagon "backwards". Tied it on real well, and made the 10 mile or so trip without a hitch. Got LOTS of looks along the way. I also used the Wagon to flat tow the 56 to the body shop to get it painted, as I did't have a hitch on my daily driver. Built a hitch a little later on so I could flat tow the 56 to the track. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. wsdad

wsdad

I flat towed a running, idling '62 Pontiac Tempest LeMans 10 hours from Texas to Arkansas. You can't disconnect the drive shaft on these cars to keep the automatic transmission from burning up because it's between the engine and transmission. Had to leave the engine running the whole trip so it would pump transmission fluid around.

17. upspirate

upspirate

Carried a transmission and bell in the pass seat of my tractor trailer

18. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

IMAG0442.jpg

4 wheels in a 64 imperial trunk? room to spare

19. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Thirty years ago I purchased an OEM radiator support in the factory box for my '71 Skylark ragtop. I picked it up at a Greyhound depot near my workplace in same car. I had to drop the top and wedge the box upright into the rear floorboard area. It stuck up quite a ways above the windshield. Had a few odd looks in the 30 mile ride home. Gas mileage was off a little that day. Sorry, no pictures. Didn't have any money left over for 35mm film.

kbgreen likes this.
  20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

At least you were smart enough to check that bag. I tried to carry on a 5 lb bronze, torpedo shaped bow light off a 1950s Chris Craft boat. TSA made me take it apart to see what was inside it. I'm lucky it came apart easily.

kbgreen likes this.
  21. I've carried V8 engines, Gearboxes and rear axles in the back of my Mercedes ML320

The car is called the "Dogmobile" as that's what it was purchased to transport.

22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I helped move my friend Mike's Poncho around. He moved from one garage to another. There is a complete 389 plus hydramatic in the beamer , plus tons of other stuff , and the Poncho was filled with all his tools, parts, racks, and an additional 389 shortblock...the Beamer pulled well but had two broken rear coil springs after the haul...
    I also managed two put 10 L78-15 tires in my 55 chevy plus Camping gear and luggage for two.

mgtstumpy, scotty t, 6inarow and 6 others like this.
  23. Hauled a complete-but-disassembled Ford FE to the machine shop in my CycleKamp trailer behind my XS11 Yamaha.... Admittedly, it took two trips. Between the weight and the lack of brakes on the trailer, it was a spooky ride... LOL.

Jet96 and Just Gary like this.
  24. The Kalaheo Kid

The Kalaheo Kid
    from Kauai, HI

Found a 1919 Dodge touring front body section (cowl to seat-back, plus driver's door and solid floor pan) at a junk shop ("Antiques") just outside Crater Lake, Oregon toward the end of a road trip in my off-topic '65 VW Squareback.
    Lashed it to the roof and made it home to the Bay Area without mishap, Dukes-ing it at rest stops and gas stations.

This was in 1975.

On a side note, found a same model passenger door laying in the mud at the Livermore, CA dump a couple months later. Only run over once by the bulldozer (!)...straightened out pretty good. It had hinges and latch mech. intact as well. Weird.

kbgreen, Jet96 and Just Gary like this.
  25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I put the top town to haul a 67 Mustang hood and on the way home ran the 66 Chrysler Newport up to 117 mph..

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was using my 39 Ford 1/2 ton to tow a trailer with jeep across Texas and when the 39 headlights stopped working, I turned on the Jeep lights

Jet96 likes this.
  27. clem

clem

I always use a car trailer that I built when I was young......
    Not unusual to me, but surely unusual to all the above posters. :)

chevy57dude likes this.
  28. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

This how I hauled a 32 frame and rear end from Indiana to Missouri through a snow storm. I also hauled a 32 3w rumble seat trunk lid as luggage on an airplane from Atlanta, Ga. to Missouri. PICT2802.JPG

OahuEli, mgtstumpy, KKrod and 3 others like this.
  29. Mom used to get so pissed when I dragged crap home as a kid. Junkyard up the street, I'd ride my bike past & sneak thru the fence to peek at the latest local wrecks. 1/2 buried in the mud was a chain and hook so heavy I could barely lift it. About 6' long and the hook the size of a grapefruit. Wrapped it around the frame of my bike and struggled to pedal home. My buddy has it now, plans are to weld it together and make his mailbox post from it.

C. John Stutzer and Jet96 like this.
  30. Chevyfordman - That's some fancy hauling there. Corner braces and all. Mitered cuts and regulation straps...

rg171352 likes this.