Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc Brakes on a Solid Front Axle Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatty, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I got my frame for my Model A yesterday. Many many thanks to Restorit he is the man!!!! Anyways it has no front brakes setup on it. Just spindles and they are chevy 5 lug. I have whats left of a 78 Nova and it has discs. Now I have spent the last 3 1/2 hours online searching for how too's on puting those brakes onto this axle. Nothing has come up every search engine has been used. I also had coworkers sitting around me run searches of their own.

I am wondering if any of you guys has done this and can give me advice and info on how its done. If all else fails I will guestimate and give it a go. Its just this is the ability for my future machine to stop we are talking about a crappy looking dash can be forgiven no brakes and a sharp curve well.....

Once again thanks to Restorit:D

2. Try speedway motors.They have all kinds of brake adapters.They have a very nice web site with lots of hotrod parts.Its one of my favorates.:cool:

3. brandon

brandon

what are the spindles off of........(old ford , old chevy , econoline, hudson ....???) brandon

4. Good question I am a idiot for not knowing I will post up some pics of them soon.

5. Man I didn't know that post still existed. I copied the info on rotors for my project when you first posted it. It has saved me a ton of trial and error.

You da man bro.

Fatty drop Tom a note. he knows what spindles you got I guartantee it.

OH are you the one that beat me to the old dragster chassis?:p

6. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Excellent post, C9.

I'm curious to know if the Chrysler rotors are 10 1/2" also. I have the Camaro setup with the 4 3/4 b.c. on the front and a 8 3/4 rear end with the 4 1/2 bolt circle. Assuming that the Chrysler rotors have the 4 1/2 bolt circle also, what would it take to mount these rotors on my existing setup? \

If anyone has experience with this let me know. I checked for a website for magnum but no dice.

7. Yes I got the dragster chassis!!!!:D Next week is build time well starting of build time. I got a week off to babysit my criminal ass little brother. I am stuck out in the middle of nowhere so what better than build a Model A and drink alot of beer!!!!!

8. I don't know the diameter of the ChryCo rotor, but . . . it appears that they are probably 10 1/2" since they're capable of being used with the Camaro rotor.
    The Camaro calipers sit in the same place (height-wise) whether using the Chryco or Camaro rotors.
    That due to the same bracket is used in either case.

Good thing to keep in mind though, I have FoMoCo/ChryCo bolt pattern on the back and GM on the front with my 31.

There is some ChryCo 4 1/4" patterned stuff out there, but more than likely the rotors mentioned in the article are 4 1/2" since they're used in the full size cars.

9. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Thanks for the link 51fordfan. Saved it in my favorites.

Sounds like I just need to get the bearing adapters and new rotors and I should be in business.

10. The spindles are 46-48 Ford. They have been re drilled to take Chevy 5 4 3/4 wheels.