Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey That red A roadster was mine back in the 60's I took that pictureo_O

2. Jeeez! Mayhem a go go.
    Just curious if anyone recognizes the strip in the above pic of Gary Coe's Gunfighter, ain;t Woodburn. Maybe Madras? Can't place it . It looks desert to me.

3. GeeRam

GeeRam

Doyle Gammell working on the windscreen frame, with his Dad, Roy, in baseball cap leaning into the engine bay.

loudbang likes this.
  4. dsa69

dsa69

Post 114061 looks like the North Bedford Midway, Westbound on the PA Turnpike

5. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

would that be the Doyle Gammell that did the chop on a 32 3 window

6. GeeRam

GeeRam

Indeed it is.

loudbang likes this.
  7. UGH! I don't even want to know!

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, that didn't end well.

9. JJK

JJK

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dagmars and a 17-18" tutone steering wheel.. I'll bet it's a Beauville..... It's got it all

11. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

it's in the b/g of the 13th, front-on, too ...

12. hudson48

hudson48

There is something strange about this picture. The station wagon in the lower left looks out of proportion to the Cadillac beside it and strange that the rusty stuff is on top of "coloured" stuff.

13. Well, it is a Rambler wagon which is smaller than most and that '55 or so Cadillac is a much larger car.

14. raymay

raymay

Proof that logging into that new Pokémon game on your phone can be dangerous.

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Maybe Yakima ?

16. "Well anyways, like I was saying Mr. Johnson, I stopped to ask for directions when this here fella flew over my head with wild horses, and THAT is why your car smells like a barnyard."

17. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

that is one very Bitchen 32 for I belive Bruce Meyers has it now

18. Apparently the driver plowed into it at full speed. :(

19. 41 C28

41 C28

Looks like one of the old Howard Johnsons on the Pennsylvania Turn Pike.

20. wutnxt

wutnxt

I too like to examine the Oregon photos. Thanks Maggie.

RedlandMaggie likes this.
  21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

22. loudbang

loudbang

bunch of corvettes today

1961, 1959, 1958 Tres Corvettes”. Ken says the picture was taken in front of Hall’s Arco in South Pasadena, California.

61 59 58 Tres Corvettes”.jpg

bunch of Vettes at the track

bnch of vettes at the races.jpg

Cedar Rapids Corvette Club taken in the year of their founding, circa 1963.

Cedar Rapids Corvette Club taken in the year of their founding, circa 1963..jpg

Corvette Hall of Famer Betty Skelton and the 1956 Daytona Corvette Pace Car.

Betty was an amazing woman whose accomplishments were many. A noted pilot with altitude records and aerobatic championships in the ’40s and early ’50s, Betty went to work for GM’s advertising agency Campbell-Ewald in 1956 where she became a spokesperson at autoshows. But don’t call her a booth girl because this girl was a racer at heart.

1956 was a busy year for Betty. She would team up with Zora Arkus-Duntov and racer John Fitch to drive the 1956 Corvettes during Daytona’s NASCAR Speed Week trials and she averaged 137 mph during her flying mile test despite a major headwind.

For the 1956 NASCAR race at Daytona, GM Design Chief and father of the Corvette Harley Earl designed this special 1956 Corvette pace car for Betty to drive.

see email lady driver.jpg

Motor Trend was lucky to score three 1958 Corvettes which are shown here at Buttonwillow Raceway with the MT crew getting ready to put the car through its paces.

The introduction of the 1958 was met with mixed reviews from the press and public. The clean, simple lines of the previous year model, 1957, were completely changed. It was a sign of the times when chrome was the styling trend of the day. Some people loved the “glitz” while others complained the Corvette body styling was a disaster.

Performance was excellent with the 290 hp Corvette turning the ¼ mile in 15.6 seconds, and the 0-60 mph was completed in 6.9 seconds. Top speed was reported to be in excess of 120 mph. The Corvette performance was compared to the Jaguar, Porsche and Ferrari (so what’s new?!), which were selling in the $10,000 range, approximately three times that of the Corvette. Magazine test results were excellent, as was the performance record on the racecar circuit.

see email motor trend.jpg

Tangier Shriners picking up their identical 1965 Corvette Sting Ray Convertibles in St. Louis, then the current home of the Corvette factory.

The Omaha Tangier Shriners Corvette Club was one of the more interesting Corvette clubs in the country in the sixties. The club was made up of 13 members and every year they would purchase a fleet of brand new, identical Corvettes that would be used in parades and other precision driving events to draw attention to their philanthropic efforts for their Children’s Burn Hospitals.

The Corvettes were all COPOs (central office production orders) ordered through Anderson Chevrolet in Wahoo, Nebraska. This picture shows the 1963 troupe picking up their Corvettes in downtown St. Louis and you can see the great Arch still under construction in the background.

see email shriners.jpg

Cute kids .......................NOW GET OFF MY VETTE!!!

Kids on dads vette.jpg

National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) visiting the Corvette assembly plant in St. Louis on June 24, 1961.

The National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) was founded in 1959 to promote interest in Corvette ownership, operation and knowledge about Corvettes across the country. Today, they are one of the largest national groups which represents over 270 individual Corvette clubs and thousands of active members across the country.

see email vette factory.jpg

Sorry Vette dudes
    Sorry dudes.jpg

Unknown vette sales lot

unknown vette sales lot.jpg

Vette on the beach

Vette at the beach.jpg

Sonny you know you almost hit me!!

Vintage vette and old lady.jpg

Beam me up Scotty

Vintage William shatner 1963 split qwindow.jpg

Thread Status: