Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 318 exhaust manifold fit 5.2 Magnum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joe (pa), Jun 7, 2016.

1. joe (pa)

joe (pa)
    from Central PA

Hey guys, looking for anyone with definite information on this. I have a 52 Plymouth that I installed a 5.2 Magnum out of a 95 Dakota and need extra clearance on the steering shaft side. I have it squeezed in and running but the engine/trans is too of center and I'm getting serious driveline vibrations. I need to center it more to the left and found a manifold off an old dart I'd like to use. I don't want any more parts sitting on my shelf so I'd like to know before purchasing and ripping this thing back apart. Thanks!

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

1: that drivetrain is waaaay to new for this forum

2: go to the parts store and compare exhaust manifold gaskets

3: I seriously doubt they bolt up

3. How off center are you? I'm no driveline expert but I don't think engine offset should cause a driveline vibration as long as it is square in the chassis and not at an angle. I would check to make sure the engine is sitting in there straight and then check your angles at the transmission tail shaft and the pinion to make sure they're correct.

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Except for the heads, I think that motor the same as a 318, sort of like Vortech heads for the Mopar crowd. (Could be wrong, never had one apart). I think the gasket comparison is the best idea.

5. daliant

daliant

It will fit as long as the exhaust manifold doesn't have the air injection ports. All production small block mopars have the same bolt pattern on the exhaust manifolds. I don't think the drive shaft vibration is coming from the engine being offset, check your pinion angle in relation to your tailshaft angle.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Centre line of engine / transmission must be parallel to centre line of vehicle, eg. 80's Mustangs and 70's Corvette, or you will have strange harmonics. As stated check the exhaust gaskets to see if early manifolds will fit and your pinion angles, angle of engine etc

7. Are the u-joints in phase?

8. I'm pretty dense on Mopars but here goes. Did the transmission come out of the same Dakota?
    I was going to swap a 360 in place of a 318 once and found out that the torque converter had a different balance factor between the 318 and the 360.

9. daliant

daliant

You'd be able to feel that by revving it in neutral as well as in gear driving down the road but yes 318 and 360 rotating assy's are balanced different and can cause problems because parts that don't belong together share the same bolt pattern.

10. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

I am confident Exhaust manifolds from a LA motor will fit magnum heads, I have both sets of heads in my shop so I can check to be sure and get back to you this on the weekend.

11. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I put a 360 out of a late 80s dodge van in my neighbors 318 powered truck,exhaust were near the same, but in mid 90s they had a sweeter looking exhaust manifold

12. joe (pa)

joe (pa)
    from Central PA

Thanks guys! I got the manifold and the gaskets and am going to try it tomorrow. My engine and trans were from the same truck but the driver manifold prevented me from keeping the engine straight from left to right. It also kept me from the frame "pocket" where the balancer sits in the front cross member which made the engine very high in the front. Crazy harmonics going on.... raised the back of the transmission and it made a big difference, but not right yet. I think once I can go left with the engine i can drop it down further. Also got a set of butchs motors mounts and trans crossmember

13. joe (pa)

joe (pa)
    from Central PA

Well just a quick update... the manifold fits... mostly, there is a small casting on the bottom of the head that interferes with the manifold down pipe. Nothing a small grinder couldn't take care of. I ground about a 1/16 off the head and it fit perfect. I also made a pocket at the front of the crossmember for the balancer to fit and that straightened out the whole driveline. Cruising smooth now! No more vibrations!

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Many Chrysler products over the years had engines offset to passenger side, as necessary for steering clearance. Chrysler engineers being just slightly more 'savvy' than the bakers' lot of enthusiasts, some offset designs would be acceptable in the most crucial circles.
    Consider the 'offset' Indy cars over the years. Andy Granatelli wrote 'paper' on the subject...

15. raff23089

raff23089

Would love to see some pics of your installation. I'm considering a 5.9 swap for my '50 Plymouth with an early Cuda drivers side exhaust manifold and mounts from Butch's.