Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Austin people help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jul 1, 2016.

1. So a very good friend of mine is in the middle of turning this all aluminum bread van into a mobile coffee van. So some jerk backed into it and caused this large dent. Who can do the aluminum repair. No body work has to be metal finished. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467405354.254050.jpg

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

will insurance cover it?

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

Ford garage, because of their aluminum pickups?

4. It is not insured since they are working on it and it was parked out front of his house. Ford body shops cannot work on this due to the restriction of the Ford certification process for the tools you have to use on the new trucks. What I need is a good metal man who makes panels. If they lived close to me, the shop I work at would do it in a second.

5. Try Mercurycharlie in Austin , if he's not interested he can tell you who . Looks not to bad . Drill out rivets around headlight ring then try and push it out . If that doesn't work make a new panel and re rivet it in .

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

What about the insurance on the jerk that backed into it? Or was it a hit and run?

I'm with Flea in that it may be cheaper to drill the damaged panel off, use it as a template and fab/install a replacement panel.

One more option may be to find someone in the aircraft field. A decent S&S (surface and structure) mechanic could knock that out no problem.

Are there any WWII aircraft preservation/enthusiast groups or museums in the area? Most of them are volunteers with aircraft work experience and have well equipped shops. They might do the work in 'exchange' for a donation to their group.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. JoyFlea do you know how to contact him? Hot Rod Ta Hell it was a hit and run no witnesses.

8. It's listed as Mercury Charlie , 9914 hwy. w , Austin , tx 78736
    512-331-6500 . If you can't find some one in Austin give me a call , I'm 400 mile west but doesn't look that hard of a job . 432-364 -2479 . Good luck , Blue

9. Also contact Ryan , he knows everyone in the hill country area and lives somewhere around Dripping Springs .

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The CAF has a wing in San Marcos. http://www.cafcentex.com/

11. Did that and thank you for the info. I will let you know what we can come up with

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no expert by any means but that doesn't look any worse than some of the damage that they fix on vintage Airstream trailers. Maybe someone who works on those may be able to help.

13. Bringing it back to the top for the weekend people.

14. Anyone else have ideas for Austin area?

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Extraordinary Metalshaping
    512-698-6841

JOYFLEA and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Talk to any one of the multiple Big Rig repair shops in the Austin area. Most (if not all) Semi's are riveted aluminum construction.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

20. Thank you all I think we can get them taken care of now.