Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1964 Impala brake pedal return spring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Does anyone have a pic of where the pedal return spring attaches? I have it on but I'm almost positive it's not in the right spot

2. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

No one? Not even advice?

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

How about a picture of what you have.

4. bigpokie

bigpokie

I just went out and looked at mine. Mine is a Manuel so it may be different. But the return spring in around the pivot point inside the bracket. I tried to get a pic but either I couldn't get it focused on the spring or just could see it.

5. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Inside the push rod bracket? I have mine hooked there, I'm curious as to where the opposite end hooks to. Only thing I found close was hooking to back of hvac controls.

6. bigpokie

bigpokie

Haha ! You need a shop manual supplement. This is the second time this book has helped in the last 3 hours !

Attached Files:

7. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

My spring looks nothing like that. Just a typical extension spring similar to a throttle return spring on a carb. Going to have to further inspect, is it possible cuz mine is automatic that it's different? And I'm ordering my manual. I have to.

8. bigpokie

bigpokie

That, I'm not sure about. You'll be glad you got it.

9. The springs are the same manual or automatic. Yours is gone and someone tried to rig a screen door type spring.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  10. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Ok. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the help

11. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Anyone have a suggestion to get a replacement?

12. There are basically two springs in your clutch system, one under the car that holds the throwoutcarm and actuator rod in tension, and the one that wraps around the clutch and brake pivot under the dash. The first is a wound spring about 6 or 7 inches long and about a half inch in diameter through the middle half. The spring under the dasi wound 4 or 5 times with about an inch inside diameter and a tab on each end.

Google and eBay is your friend - use them. Search for 1964 Chevrolet clutch pedal return spring. You will find a lot of info to familiarize with what your parts should look like. Look for exploded diagrams and pictures.

The spring under the car will be readily available. The one under the dash may be a bit harder to find and you may end up having to fabricate brackets or something to use a different type of spring there.

Your car is 52 years old, some parts will be difficult to find. That is your assignment , not ours. Someone might have one but I wouldn't count on that to solve he problem.

Good luck.

13. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I have an automatic so no clutch pedal. I seen what it is supposed to look like, didn't know if anyone is producing them. Any leads will help.

14. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

You are the man. Thank you. On its way!