Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who makes a good chrome polish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 4, 2016.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just found the original small hubcaps for my 55 Ford that have been laying in the attic of the garage for about 16 years and trying to clean them up,the turtle wax chrome polish does ok if its not too bad but kind of weak if the chrome needs much attention. There used to be small bottles of chrome polish that I can not remember the name that was great that I think was the same as the Atlas brand sold at the Sohio gas stations but those days are over so who makes a good chrome polish that is readily available. The caps are chromed steel and not stainless.

2. Speedway's Purple Metal Polish is the best I have found by far. It made an old set of '56 Ford dog dish hub caps look practically new. I was amazed. I use it on ceramic coated headers and aluminum, too.

3. I used to find stuff at swap meets..I think it was a German product. Now I just use a combo of the blue stuff at oreilys, wadding cloth, and Meguires metal polish to do the trick

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think that chrome polish was Westleys but all I find from them is whitewall cleaner.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

6. Take a piece of aluminum foil, about a 3 x 3 piece, and ball it up. Have a dish of water with you and dunk the ball of foil in it and start polishing, keep the ball of foil wet. If there are tiny rust pits, instead of water use a product like OSPHO instead of water. You'll be surprised.

7. alittle1

alittle1

Did a bumper on my '53 Ford which had fly-specks of rust on it with aluminum foil and Coke (phosphoric acid). Cleaned up really nice, try it!

8. I've always had good results with Simichrome & Wenol polish. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

think the german-sounding polish is flitz. i've always used dupont chrome polish...

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I like Mother's

11. Muttley

Muttley

Me too, but their kids are usually a PITA.

12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

13. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Wont ospho cause the chrome to peel? It contains Phosphoric acid.Id try vinegar first.