Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi racerx.Looking better every time I open the thread.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els and racer-x like this.
  2. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

Looks awesome!!

3. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Ah yeah.... that's is looking mean and green. :D

-W

4. loudbang

loudbang

Wow that is one mean lean green machine. That was for the USMC :rolleyes:

5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looks good brian what's it looking like for meltdown you think your gonna make it still looks like a lot of work to go but then again you guys have pulled off a heck of a build in a very short time

6. We are trying. Saturday i told jim i want it there. Even if its not complete it will be there. This is the list of things that still need to be done.
    Mounts for the radiator and battery.
    Mount the water pump and connect lines
    Finish tin and powder coat
    Mount steering box.
    Mount moon tank
    Finish plumbing mech inj.
    Mount the grille
    Mount head lights
    Attatch panard bar
    Install hand brake
    Mount fire bottles
    Mount air bottles
    Mount seats
    Install doors
    Install parachute handle
    Adjust the front end

I can do half of this list in a weekend. We are getting close.

els, Dog_Patch, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Keep up the good work hope to see you at the meltdown

8. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Nice work.look forward to seeing it at the meltdowns

9. to all of the hambers stop by and say high.

els, Chucky, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. If you want to play with a blown nitro hemi you better be willing to work on it. Lots of work. So to make that between round maintainence easier i have been getting my tool tray put together. This tray goes on top of the injector. Jim bent angles in some aluminium for me. These bolt to the bottom of the tray and keep it from sliding off. I added a hemi spark plug tube to the front to hold the t- handled spark plug wrench. Magnetic strips were added to hold assorted tools. I drilled holes for the blower restraint pins these pins get pulled so the covers can come off. I added more spark plug holes so i have eight per side. four new plugs and four old plugs I added holes for the feeler gauges and a old pushrod to check for tdc while checking lash. Self adhesive felt was put on the bottom so the injector wont get scratched. All of the parts and tools to service the top end will go in the tray eventually. special tools that can check spring pressure and a inch pound torque wrench for screw adjuster nuts and blower nuts along with a torqing plug wrench. a spark plug viewing tool and spare pushrods and screws go in it also. a bottle of lube for the valve train comes in handy sitting in there. I used a similiar one on the 65. I also got the fuel tank filler all set up. The connecting tube has a fitting welded on it for the number 8 vent with a tip valve. When the tank got shortened i lost the place that had the bung for the vent. This will work just fine. 20160628_215752.jpg 20160628_215838.jpg 20160628_162416.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    els, kiwijeff, Woogeroo and 3 others like this.
  11. Roadsir

Roadsir

Gettin' close when you make a punch list and a tool tray. This has been impressive to watch. I hope to see it run!

els and loudbang like this.
  12. The wildest street-strip coupe on the planet. Just outstanding to say the least ! I can not take my eyes off of it, I envy you sir.:D:D

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  13. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Racer-X , how far from Can Tipping time ????
    Want to see Video, my A is a hand full with a 543 hp on street ,
    I spin time on vintage F/C site ,( lot's info & tune up their )
    I know you run with Fuel racers , I want to covert my blown Alterd to
    That TnT fuel , there Just no wrong with that Fuel ,
    ""ONLY WRIGHT !!!

els likes this.
  14. We are going to see if we can do it at the melt down. It will be close.

15. catdad49

catdad49

This is an awesome thread, lots of info to be shared & enjoyed. This thing is just flat out Beautiful (and Safe)! Please share the next chapter with us and most of all, Enjoy!!!

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi racerx.Looking better all the time.Have a question though.Was`nt green sort of a taboo
    color for race cars at one time?And why.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els likes this.
  17. Looks all business with the body back on. What is carrying the coolant to the front of the car and how is it routed ?

els likes this.
  18. swade 41 page 25 shows some pics of the parts used. the place were the pater pump was is now tapped for 12 an fittings. the cool water enters here just like originally. the hot water exits from the drivers side head. there is a cross over from head to head like original. the meiser elect pump is in the trunk. it flows 55 gallons. green was thought to be unlucky by the circle track crowd. im not a superstitious person. any color can be unlucky. black didn't work out well for earnheart and look how many black cars there are. thanks everyone for all of the recent positive comments. its been rough lately getting up at 5am and going to bed after 11pm. there is just not enough time in the day or evening. my new hydrometer should arrive today. I just need to get a fresh drum of methanol this weekend and im good to go.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    els and catdad49 like this.
  19. mutant55

mutant55

Brian,
    I see you have the good stuff in your tool tray, the LSM specialty tools are real nice stuff, Tim Smith is a friend of mine, we both race in the Super Stock class, are you using T&D rockers on the engine? Those are real nice too, Larry Tores is another good friend of our Super Stock group, he makes the rockers for Ray Barton and all the other Hemi guys. The car is coming out beautiful, keep up the great work!

els likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang getting close! Thought of you and snapped a photo when I came across this t bucket last week. Put together in the 60's and shoved into a corner of a building for the last 3 or 4 decades a local guy bought it and put it back on the street.
    image.jpeg

Torsion bars and a leaf spring, seems a little redundant but made me think of your hunt either way

els likes this.
  21. lsm makes great stuff. they are worth every penny paid. I make sure I stop in their booth at pri to see whats new. I buy the tools at that show because I get a great show special price. they don't want to have to load it up and bring it home. the cresant wrench they make is very cool. for the rockers I use missle rockers. they are sold through hot heads. the front end is interesting. I wonder what that's all about. the tortion bar looks fairly stout. it must ride very firm.

els likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll ask him about it the next time I see him, image doesn't know much about the car other than what I posted but I'm sure I could ask about how it rides etc

els likes this.
  23. Awesome progress! Thing looks awesome -

I called LSM looking for an on-head spring pressure checker for early Hemi and he said no one makes that. Maybe I asked the wrong question? @402BOSSMAN was even looking into fabricating something. So the one you have can check intake and exhaust springs on the head?

els and 402BOSSMAN like this.
  24. I bet those are friction shocks not torsion bars in the spreader, although it does seem redundant.
    Can't wait to see the Green Machine in person.

els and wingnutz like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's got a bar in the spreader I checked,

els likes this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe is a sway/stabiliser bar ? Could be necked down inside to small dia for not too much action...

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Now that makes the most since! I'll have to look next time I see it and pay more attention to the details. But that does sound the most likely idea

els likes this.
  28. dog patch yes it works. if you look close at the tool in the tray i use extra shims. the tool is designed to use them to get extra reach. i use misslle rockers and they are big. the tool comes with directions on how to adjust the shims to get the right reading. with the two different lengths on intake and exhaust you can adjust the tool for each one. it takes time to change it over so i don't do that. i use one setting for both. it reads accurate on the intake and off on the exhaust. that's ok i know what the inaccurate baseline reading is. its just a number. i just need to know if a spring is going away. with the blower checking the intakes the handle gets close to the case. i bought the handle that has a angle cut into. this should make it easier to check springs. i have a tool from wizards warehouse that allows me to change springs without removing the head. if you want a better pic of the tool i can get you one.

29. jerry

jerry

The pics of the body on the frame are pure sex!

Thanks for the ride!

jerry

30. What's this green beast going to weigh?

That's a9of stuff going in that little coupe!

els likes this.