Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Necked pictures---cars you perverts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 16, 2016.

1. I was talking to a guy via the conversation feature and we were discussing sandblasting verses stripping the paint using chemicals.

So I got to thinking what do you guys do? HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did it all with sanders & wire brushes. sand, chemicals, etc can leave residue that may affect the final product.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. chemical strip then sand blast
    detailed stuff gets dipped like louvered hood sides
    80-180 grit on a DA, cleaned, then primed with epoxy or a dtm poly
    101_4577_zps655f09be[1].jpg

28TUDOR and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I'm sure that's true IF you don't take every precaution by using every tool available for removing the residue,including sand and spend a lot of time with prep work before painting.

The final results speak for itself, the wagon looks as good 4 years later as when it was painted,except the few rock chips from all the miles the car has seen. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    neverdun, Gotgas, Texas Webb and 3 others like this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sand blast vs chemical vs mechanical? I've been wondering too while I tediously strip the inside of my '40 Willys pickup cab with sandpaper and stripping wheels (what a pain).
    I had my '32 5w sandblasted years ago without any ill affects but sand came out of the nooks and crannies for quite a while despite my liberal application of the air hose. We painted it black lacquer after chopping it and filling the roof. My buddy had his Model A coupe dipped around the same time and this time, moisture seemed to appear from time to time as he prepped it for paint - made me nervous that the paint might not stick or that the areas you can't get paint on might rust, but he parted with it right after it was reassembled so we didn't get to see any long term affects.
    The last few cars I stripped, the outside was all done mechanically, but I wasn't looking for perfection on the interior surfaces so I just made sure it was protected and didn't too worry about areas that don't show.
    I guess there are plusses and minuses to each process.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. 32owner

32owner

the wagon looks great to me. a lot of guys using water blast now seems to work well. had a 51 truck bed done and you have to primer within a couple days or rust will appear even with the additives they add to the water.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 1956 buick 021.jpg D.A.ed her all down to metal. I have used strippers and they are messy and like you said can be still hiding when your painting. Bruce.

slack and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. If I knew there were enough takers, I'd build a tank large enough to full immerse a body shell, use electrolysis, and offer it as a service.

I've done a fair bit of experimenting with it, and I'm impressed. Rust, paint, grease - all go bye-bye, and no warping or loss of good metal.

HOTRODPRIMER and thirtytwo like this.
  9. I have tried every method and I like sand blasting the best for results and speed. You just have to be careful not to warp something if you are working with thin metal. And its one hot, nasty method. But I like the results the best. I prefer chemicals on Corvettes, I don't think sandblasting would work too well on the plastic...:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I used strippers, sandpaper, stripping discs and a little sandblasting on this one. First, let me say I have no idea what this car was painted with, but it was soft enough to gum up sandpaper yet took at least 3 applications of aircraft stripper to get it off. All I have is a little spot blaster, so that didn't last long. Next I moved to the chemical stripper. It was messy and took at least 2 -3 coats to get down to bare metal. There was also a ton of filler on it too and the stripper just made a mess out of that. So I resorted to stripping discs and sandpaper to finish the job. Although dusty as hell that worked the best for me. Sandblasting worked good as well, I just needed a much bigger blaster and a better place to do it.

[​IMG]
    This was the pile of filler from the driver's door. They just used 1/4" of filler to align it with the fender instead of loosening a few bolts.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've done it a few times with various cars with excellent results. The skill of the blaster is the key in not putting heat in to deform the panels
    body blast2.jpg body blast1.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 55willys

55willys

A friend used a company that comes to your site and uses crushed glass in water to blast parts. It works quite well and there is no dust. The operator still needs to know what he is doing as you can warp panels with the high pressure water if you shoot straight on. after blasting they rinse with a phosphate solution to prevent rust.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. I have seen this advertised locally on Craigslist. How expensive is this process?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. LOL I still use a DA and lean on it. :D :D

My experience with sand blasting is that metal warp is optional. if you use some common sense and don't get it too hot then sand or media blasting (soda blasting is popular here) you are golden. if you are a dip shit ten chemical stripping is a good idea but only if you can read the instructions in one of about 3 different languages. Chemical stripping is also probably a better idea if you don't live where you can make a dusty mess.

I actually have done all 3; DA, sand blast and chemical stripping. Each has its pitfalls.

Now for a quick story, a man I worked with was going to build a show winning '56 Chebby. Which he did by the way. he took the body to be blasted and came home with pretty much a roof. After the blaster leaned hard on every panel of the car it was destroyed and needed to be replaced. I think that the only reason that the roof remained intact was tat he wasn't tall enough to really get after it. LOL Maybe that was a good thing. The car was stunning when it was done.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. 55willys

55willys

I think he said it was about $1000 for an entire Pontiac Ventura

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have used sandblasting, chemical stripper, DA and hand sanding, Which I used depended on the the time of year/weather conditions and type of surface.For my coupe project the body was done at home with silca sand while I took the frame to commercial blaster that used clean blast ( Black) heavy grit media. I used stripper on the hood (didn't want to risk warping it) All methods have their benefits and problems.

Chemicals are least favorite as the fumes are extremely hazardous to old lungs that have been exposed to too many chemicals over the last 66 years.

This is timely for me as Don and I will sandblasting his Merc in my driveway again today .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am fortunate to have a sandblaster here locally that can handle any job from thin to thick, and is very careful with delicate, floppy, sheet metal parts. IMG_5951.JPG IMG_5961.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER, Gotgas and timwhit like this.
  18. i am in the sand/media blast camp.
    DSCF3897.JPG DSCF3859.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

six pics 005.jpg six pics 004 (640x512).jpg six pics 003 (640x512).jpg our pic`s 229.jpg And Then I decided to cut it up and turn it into a C400 Vicky our pic`s 011.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and mike bowling like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have the wife sandblast all my stuff.

21. Gotta be more opinions and photo's. HRP

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

My opinion...??? Certainly: "Necked"...??? Another abomination of the English language...perhaps Hot Rod Primer means "naked"...???

According to the dictionary, 'naked' means: bare, uncovered stripped, exposed.

'Necked' means having a neck of a kind specified (usually used in combination): a square-necked blouse.

My ex-wife was from Missouri, she always used the term "necked"...guess that's where it came from...

R-

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. I like neck-ed. Naked sounds to formal?????? OK, here goes. I used chemical stripper to get first couple of layers/paint colors off the cabrio. It had some tough primer on it! Then a bath in lacquer thinner and steel wool followed by a buff job with a 4" wire cup on my Milwaukee grinder. A lot of work but yielded good results.
    Imported Photos 00117.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I recently had my 57 Ranch Wagon sand blasted by using the Dustless method. The car turned out great with no warping of the metal. It also cost about the same as to what I was quoted to have it media blasted. Kennedy

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is what I'll send to the blaster, rest of the tin is far too nice to risk. Bob

upload_2016-6-20_15-48-12.png

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. SR100

SR100

I think he meant 'nekkid' as in 'nekkid as a jaybird'. Wouldn't be surprised if autocorrect changes that to 'necked'.

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I went the easy route, They (American Metal Cleaning - Portland) striped and de-rusted it. IMG_20140918_072009_152 (2).jpg unloading  (1).jpg 20140925_143437.jpeg
    I had the hard part blowing epoxy into all the seams, about 8 hours worth.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  28. Roger, I used the term necked in jest,although being born and raised in the South I have heard the word necked my entire life and I do know that naked is the correct spelling.

'Naked is when you don't have any clothes on,necked is when you don't have clothes on and your up to something" or "necked as a jaybird."

In the future be forewarned that from time to time I may post a thread using terms and words that are deemed, " abomination's of the English language" but only to reaffirm my Southern Heritage and my attempt a levity. HRP

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  29. Jiminy

Jiminy

I have also seen it spelt (the Southern version of spelled) nekkid. Jeff Foxworthy has done several routines about "how to talk southern" which is both amusing and educational when you are tryint (trying) to "listen Northern".

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

OK guys, my Midwestern up-bringing prompted my reply...and HRP, had I known it was in "jest", I wouldn't have given my opinion, but I've seen so many bastardized, butchered words on the HAMB it just irritates me...

Jiminy, I am aware there are many abominations of the English language in this country, even our U.S. English is an abomination of Britain's English language.

One guy even PM'd me and stated "I don't need to be correct in how I spell, I'm just a "gearhead"...!!! Uhm, OK, I guess...!!! I replied that the biggest "gearhead" of them all - Jay Leno, got a college education and KNEW how to spell. I have no idea if that sank in or not...!!!

R-

HOTRODPRIMER and Rolleiflex like this.