Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage L.A. Roadster Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Is anyone going to the L.A. Roadster Show and Swap Meet this weekend? I'm trying to decide to go or not. I haven't been there for a couple of years because I don't want to pay $10 for parking and another $20 at the entry gate. When I do go, I usually find something decent that I can use and try to justify the $20 entry fee. I might go.

If you are from out town and are going, try to bring your own food and drinks. The food vendors are very expensive. $11 for a burger only. $6 for a fountain drink. I think a beer is around $9? It's all fairgrounds food vendors. There is a McDonald's just down the road. A Denny's or two near by and a Norm's a few short miles away off of the I-10.

Be careful if you go out on the town. I suggest the beach areas. Easy to get to on the packed freeways. Be careful with our packed freeways. Too many drivers who do not pay attention or care about the other drivers. Drive defensively, here.

Disneyland is not worth the hassle or the price of $100 per adult!

Anyone else have suggestions other than telling me to shut up?

Anyway, I've rambled on too much. I'm bored.....Enjoy your stay!

Here is a list of hotels in the area. I pulled this from the LARS ad.

Many hotels in the area are offering special rates for our guests. Check with the following hotels:

• Sheraton Fairplex
      (headquarters hotel)
      601 West McKinley Avenue Pomona, CA
      (909) 622-2220
      Visit their website at:
      www.fairplex.com/fp/
      accommodations/
      sheraton_fairplex.aspx

• Doubletree by Hilton
      Claremont
      (909) 626-2411

• Sheraton
      Ontario Airport
      (909) 937-7458

• Hilton
      Ontario Airport
      (909) 980-0400

• Best Western
      Diamond Bar
      (909) 860-3700

• Ayres Suites
      Diamond Bar
      (909) 860-6290

• Aloft
      Ontario-Rancho Cucamonga
      (909) 484-2018

• Hilton Garden Inn
      Rancho Cucamonga
      (909) 481-1800

• Guesthouse Hotel & Suites
      Upland
      (909) 949-4800

• Hyatt Place
      Ontario Mills
      (888) 492-8847

• Embassy Suites
      Ontario Airport
      (909) 605-0281

• Marriott Courtyard
      Hacienda Heights
      (626) 965-1700

• Marriott Courtyard
      Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario
      (909) 481-6476

• Fairfield Inn & Suites
      by Marriott
      West Covina
      (626) 678-8988

• Holiday Inn
      West Covina
      (626) 966-8311

• Best Western
      Glendora
      (626) 335-2817

• Town Place Suites Marriott
      Rancho Cucamonga
      (909) 466-1100

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Supposed to be 104 on Sunday. Asphalt will be higher so dress accordingly and bring water.

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where is the best place to stay that is reasonably close to the show? A place that's safe to stay at in this area. I know we are way too late for this year , but nothing like planning ahead for next year !

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

plenty of places in San Dimas to stay - not too far from Fairplex. yep, expensive to go to but, see stuff that you will not see elsewhere. plenty of local shops, parts places, etc to check out for free.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Stay away from the Motel 6 during this event. Too many crooks looking for opportunity and hardly any security. The Marriot, Holiday Inn's and places like this are good. Like Jalopy Joker says, San Dimas is very near the Fairplex and they have a couple of nice hotels. San Dimas is also a nice little town.

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Stay away from the Motel 6 during this event. Too many crooks looking for opportunity and hardly any security. The Marriot, Holiday Inn's and places like this are good. Like Jalopy Joker says, San Dimas is very near the Fairplex and they have a couple of nice hotels. San Dimas is also a nice little town.

7. I have only missed about 3 LARS meets since 1960. Has it gotten pricey, yes, but what hasn't these days. I am about to be on my way to this year's show. Stop at Subway and pick up a sub, and bring an ice chest with your favorite beverage. Some of my best times, and best memories are from the LARS, and you can't put a price on that.

8. Best swap meet around, wish I was going

9. deucemac

deucemac

I remember when my wife and I first got married and she asked me what I wanted for Father's day. I said I want to go to the L A Roadsters meet. She then said there must be something that you REALLY want and I said, yes I REALLY want to go to the LA Roadsters meet! Every year she knows that she will be a hot rod widow for 2 days and I will be in hot rod Mecca. Like Dean, I can count on one hand how many I have missed, and yes prices always go up, crowds get bigger, I walk lots slower, BUT I am here to tell you all of it is worth it to be there again. My sons, daughter,and grand sons have and are growing up there and all are just as infected with it as I am. So complain all you want, just do it and enjoy another great show put on by the guys with red shirts and white pants. If you find an old fart that looks too much like Santa Claus sitting around a blue Deuce roadster with a hemi in it and sprint car tires on the back, please stop by and say hello and we can have a super time!

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Wonder who is going to get their roadster stolen this year?

poboyross likes this.
  11. WOW - that is one negative post LOL. Parking costs too much, entry fee too high, food too expensive, The freeways suck, Disneyland costs too much. Then the hotels Suck ............ That's a great way to find out who's going, by bagging on the event and things around it - TOO FUNNY :)

By the way this year "Father's" get in on Sunday for only $10.00

Hope you go and find a way to enjoy yourself - Like Dean says, it's one of the best events there is!

Cheers

Dean Lowe and Pewsplace like this.
  12. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I have never been and won't be going this year. However, my dad and I are working on a deuce roadster right now. I hope to have it ready for next year. I have always wanted to drive to the event, in a roadster, with my Dad. He's getting up there in age now but is still young at heart! Hoping for next year! Gotta seize the moment.

The post about wondering who's roadster will get stolen is scary!

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It is for informational purposes only. So what if I said something about prices. People need to know what they will be paying. It's not meant to be a negative post unless you make it that way and it looks like you did.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  14. One of the must go to swapmeets of the year for me.........Park inside walk all day (5:30am to 6ish). Can't wait!.

15. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

So what if it is expensive, they are not going to lower their prices ( by the way they say that about the rent of the grounds). How many shows are their to go to that are like LARS? Not many for sure. So one time a year treat yourself, you can't take it with you. If you are taking a rod then put your beer in a cooler and take it in, there you saved a bunch.

16. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I'll be there bright and early on Saturday morning, ready to spend a chunk of my hard earned cash on things that I don't need. :D

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope everyone has a Great Time, and lots of photos get posted here on the HAMB. We were there for the last two years and had a good time, don't remember what it cost or care. Thought it was funny that the locals bitched about the heat, I didn't pay attention to it just had a great time. My daughter got tickets for Pebble Beach in August as a Fathers day gift, another Bucket List item to check off. Ya think PB tickets are spendy? Tuesday night I could have walked to town and sat in the Ridgefield Playhouse and listened to Jay Leno tell jokes that I'd soon forget and spent the same or more for so so seating. Bob

Flathead Dave likes this.
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I pulled this from the LARS ad.

Many hotels in the area are offering special rates for our guests. Check with the following hotels:

• Sheraton Fairplex
      (headquarters hotel)
      601 West McKinley Avenue Pomona, CA
      (909) 622-2220
      Visit their website at:
      www.fairplex.com/fp/
      accommodations/
      sheraton_fairplex.aspx

• Doubletree by Hilton
      Claremont
      (909) 626-2411

• Sheraton
      Ontario Airport
      (909) 937-7458

• Hilton
      Ontario Airport
      (909) 980-0400

• Best Western
      Diamond Bar
      (909) 860-3700

• Ayres Suites
      Diamond Bar
      (909) 860-6290

• Aloft
      Ontario-Rancho Cucamonga
      (909) 484-2018

• Hilton Garden Inn
      Rancho Cucamonga
      (909) 481-1800

• Guesthouse Hotel & Suites
      Upland
      (909) 949-4800

• Hyatt Place
      Ontario Mills
      (888) 492-8847

• Embassy Suites
      Ontario Airport
      (909) 605-0281

• Marriott Courtyard
      Hacienda Heights
      (626) 965-1700

• Marriott Courtyard
      Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario
      (909) 481-6476

• Fairfield Inn & Suites
      by Marriott
      West Covina
      (626) 678-8988

• Holiday Inn
      West Covina
      (626) 966-8311

• Best Western
      Glendora
      (626) 335-2817

• Town Place Suites Marriott
      Rancho Cucamonga
      (909) 466-1100

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Didn't the LARS members lose money big time several years ago because they didn't charge enough or something like that? Something in the ball park od $50,000 for the show and they had to come out of pocket for the grounds rental? I was told something along these lines. I just don't remember.

20. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I'll be there tomorrow and Saturday selling my 34 and some parts. Hopefully the heat doesn't scare people away. Last year sucked, it was like a ghost town by noon Saturday..

21. check out any Goodguys or NSRA events the price is the same or more.

This is actually like 3-4 shows in one.
    You have all the pre-shows
    the roadsters part of the show
    the classic car parking section
    the really nice finished car section
    the swapmeet.
    I'm going to be probably missing this one.

BTW last year they were cool with bringing a bike in when you drive your car in and you can get around the swap and classics parking quick.

However we locked out or bikes and walked the nice classics and roadster sections.

22. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Just a thought for us guys so far away a couple of years back the LARS Ca and Back to the 50s Mn were on consecutive weekends but unfortunately work got in the way and I had to pull out and missed out on the two events. If you are planning a trip and think you would like to do both of these check the dates for next year it could be a good thing.
    I did Back to the 50s last year but I'm waiting for both of these to be on different weekends so I can do the LARS also.Just a thought for us guys down here.

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I think they are a week apart next year. Be nice to do a road trip but it would mean 570mls a day to do it in 3 1/2 days , puffed before we get there and see nothing. Think it means a flight does it? The return of course we would relax and explore two lane roads , if infact the drive is doable.

24. we stayed at the Sheraton last year well worth the extra money to be right in the midst of all the action. We have vowed to go again soon

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

X2

26. 1 more day.........I've got the sunblock long sleeve shirt, beach hat, sun block and LOTS of water. Driving the Studebaker in.........and having lots of fun buying junk :).

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. Kiwi,keep the thread going if you do a road trip.
    I did a drive from Pomona,CA to Montana and back in about 2.5 days , it was a lot non stop driving, young and dumb.

28. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Hey Dan what time are you getting there? Can't wait to see the Stude, mine won't make it, as usual, see you there.

29. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

My wife is PAST-DUE with our 3rd child, looks like she's going to let it go any minute.....I had a free ticket from one of the ex-presidents of the LA Roadsters, go figure. If she'd had it early this week, I was going to go look for a 34 pickup bed, but alas.....obviously I'd rather be there for the birth.....I think? LOL.

I made a meme in honor of the show!

160und.jpg

30. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

For the price of entry and parking you gain access to parts not found on eBay or out of catalogs, that's why I go. There are only a few Super swap meets a year, this is one. You got to love it!
    Plus the hot rods are the best on earth, just another reason.