Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Ford Galaxy Fast Back...Saved from the crusher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teched, Jun 15, 2016.

1. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Hello, I just picked up a 1963.5 Galaxy XL for $375.00. The car is pretty solid for upstate NY. It was last on the road in Virginia in 1988, so it hasn't seen the salty roads. Anyway... It had a 390 in it, but some one pulled it out. The Transmission is there and it looks to be a C6. I did some research and found that C6 didn't come out until 66, but this tranny looks to have the bell housing integrated with the tranny while the MX/FX had a separate Bell. I have a 352 I plan on putting in and I need a torque converter. Does any one know what one fits?

Attached Files:

2. Nice save.Got a couple of pictures? Thanks Bruce.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Could very well be a C6. Relatively easy swap. In fact, I don't think Ford ever used a different auto with an integral bell behind FE's.

4. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

More Picts

Attached Files:

mctim64, mcyunger, Barn Find and 2 others like this.

5. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Tranny picts

Attached Files:

6. Moondog13

Moondog13

7. atch

atch

That thing is waaaaaay beyond my skill and patience level. But I loved them when they were new and still do. I wish you the very best with it.

8. One of my favorite Fords! That's going to make a sweet ride. Doesn't even look close to crusher material...particularly by eastern standards.

OahuEli likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! Congrats on the save. Well worth the $$$.

10. 504640

Your great score makes me reminisce about my old 63.5. It was black, red vinyl interior and was powered by a 289 with a 3 speed OD, shifted from the floor. I wonder if it was destined for the crusher.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Agree, great save. Can't help on the converter.
    If it were my project, get it running, go thru the brakes, electrical and just get everything working, paint as I took stuff apart. Do panel repair once it's running and just throw a touch of flattener in single stage and blend the paint in, buff the rest of the paint. Clean the interior and decide if you wanna just paint the floor and throw a cover on the seat, or buy carpets and seat covers.
    Basically keep it running and driving the whole time, just tear down little areas then go back together.

12. belair

belair

One of the few Fords from the 60's I want. Good luck with it.

13. squirrel

squirrel

czuch likes this.
  14. Kinda makes you think whats wrong with people that want to send a car like that to the crusher?????Bruce.

OahuEli likes this.
  15. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

The guy I got it from is a Chevy guy. When he was young he had a Chevys and got "womped" by a 427 4 speed Galaxy. About 20 years ago he was able to buy a 427 4speed Galaxy and did not like it. He thought his Chevy was faster. This car was the parts car for the 427. He sold the 427 car and the buyer did not want the parts car...so it sat in his backyard for "years". He had his neighbor put it on CL for $1500 no takers, price dropped a couple of times and I saw it for $500, which got my attention. A little negotiating and $375 she was mine. I have a couple of other projects going right now, but my plan is to clean up the mouse poop/pee, get it running and driving and then work on the body. Its not too bad, The floors are solid, frame is excellent, trunk is rusty. The glass is good and I think I have all the trim. The steering box is screwed up(just spins and grinds) I had to cut the brakes drums off it to make it roll up on my trailer. I have trany shop right next door to where I work, I may stop and see if they can ID the tranny and point in the direction of a converter. Its been a long time since I have been on here, so long it removed all my previous posts. But you guys are as helpful as you were years ago. Rock On! -Ed

16. Travis T

Travis T

Ford had some different transmissions in the 60s. Mom's 67 Galaxie has a "medium duty cast iron" transmission behind the 390. That is how you have to specify it to buy parts.

17. squirrel

squirrel

This one looks like a C6, although a few more pictures would clarify it. Also the C6 will have the C6AP.... casting numbers on many of the parts, that's a pretty sure way to tell what it is! also the pan is square with a rectangle cut out of one corner, it's pretty distinctive and no other Ford transmission pan is shaped like that.

18. 1930 A

1930 A

You need a convertor for a 352/360/390. It will have a pilot about an inch or a little bigger which fits in the crank.

19. 53 ford

53 ford

There is a data plate in the driver door jam under the latch. Should be a transmission code there. C code= Ford-O-Matic. G code=HD Cruise-O-Matic.

20. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I have a feeling that the door tag and the VIN tag may have been replaced. The rivets are too big and the VIN tag looks to be brazed on. My tranny pan does have the dog leg in it. Also has the round plate on the passenger side. None of the FX MX FMX trannies I have seen have that.

Attached Files:

21. My first new car was a 63 Galaxy 500 conv., 390 4 speed. Glad you saved it.

22. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I think the round cover that you can barely make out is the Servo Cover??? It has a star like web casting.

23. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, that's the servo cover.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hah! New York rust in the trunk? Mine has CALIF rust in the trunk (trunk only, sat under some trees in the '70s)

Mine's white, 'Custom', like yours. (bench seat, roll up windows)
    I was building my 406 to go in it, but that one goes in my '54 Ford Coupe.
    Look for a 390, the 352s have a low compression height. 390 will get that 4,000 lb. beauty into traffic swiftly, and you'll love it.

Go 352 and you'll 'get like your Chevy guy...'

OahuEli likes this.
  25. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I have a 360. It ran but smoked like chimney. Rods and mains were good, I might throw a set of rings in her and drop it in. Was my original thought when I got the car. Don't want to put a lot into it. Don't know anything about the driveline, just a cheep way to see what I got. My buddy has a 4 door 62 down in the junkyard. She is really rusted baddddd. Will the steering box fit on the 63.5? Added some more picts. Check out he headliner, One rip in the seam.

Attached Files:

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  26. Great save and I'ma Chevy/ Stude man!!!

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Be still my heart! One of my favorite Fords! My Uncle had a 63.5 just like that, red, red interior, but his was a 390 3 speed on the column. Had duals with Thrush mufflers, to a kid growing up, it was THE ticket! Loved that car, rode many a mile in it. When they started having kids, they decided they needed a family car, so they bought a 73 Torino 4 door and sold the 63.5 to my Uncle's brother. He kept it a few years, then sold it to his brother in law, who kept it a short while and sold it also, and I lost track of it. The last owner was also my brother in law for a time, that's how I know as much about where it went as I do. It wasn't sold to anybody local, and he couldn't remember where they were from. I would love to get my hands back on it. It got hit in the front in the early 70's, and my Uncle bought a 63.5 that had been rear ended for the front clip. He also swapped out the engine from the rear ended car, a 427 two 4 barrel! It was a four speed car with buckets, I tried to talk him into swapping interiors, but he didn't like it because it was black, saying it would be too hot. So the 427 was hooked up to the 3 speed, the red bench interior stayed put. A sleeper for sure!

Cooon likes this.
  28. williebill

williebill

Love those cars, plus the 64. One of the cars that ruined me as a small child, the black one my neighbor bought new, put loud pipes on, and used to bark the tires going into 2nd when he drove by. I was 10-11 years old, and thought that car was cool as hell. Still do. Great save.

29. squirrel

squirrel

Hollanders says it fits. Unless the 62 has power steering.

interesting, the dash layout is pretty much exactly the same as my 59 edsel.

30. X2! Had a friend back in the '60's-'70's who mysteriously loved 352's in his Galaxies/Custom 300's. However, he did not like my brother's 283 Chev's blowing his doors off. Do think 390 if this old gal is a keeper.