Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Tod, please send me a PM with a guess on price if you can. Interested, depending on price :)

2. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Done.

Tod

3. Tod I like the Ohv idea....I'd like to get on the list for one. Let me know.

Will

4. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I don't really have a list yet. I'm putting out feelers to see if it is feasible. Sure, I can make the castings and machine them, but, can I find a rocker assembly, or do I have to make one? Where do I get valves and springs for it? I'm starting to look into all aspects of it right now. I have help in that area also. I just would like to be able to sell these things for around 3000-3500 USD. Right now, it is the cost of bolt-on parts (also valve guides) that are the unknown and keep my pricing uncertain. I know what a casting will cost. I know what it will take for me to machine one.

Tod

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know this may sound a little weird, but if you are willing to do that amount of work, wouldn't it be easier to set it up for modern valve guides and valve train parts, to make it more user friendly?

I bet you it would be less work for you to make a "rough" casting and fit it with say Chevy 152 or 181, Mercedes Diesel, Detroit Diesel or Volvo parts (available from VP autoparts, IPD or SAM, in USA).

Just an idea, to think about.

6. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

That's the idea. That's what is being looked into.

Tod

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Tod, could you please also add me to the list that you haven't started yet :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  8. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Poured the first aluminum block today. Couple of minor flaws but it will build and be fine.

Tod

9. Very Exciting. I think I'm going to need to get on the AL block waiting list.
    5 Main would be my first choice.

10. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

A 5 main is my next sample to cast.

Tod

Outback, CrazyUncleHarry and BCCHOPIT like this.
  11. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I started assembling the mold for the 5 main block.

Tod

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Out for a drive in 90 heat today .... All is still very well with the new head.

Dannerr and Outback like this.
  13. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

That is good to hear. I have 2 others on cars also. There are a few new ones to pick up at the foundry.

Tod

14. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

The latest castings are in the shop. More to follow. This is slow moving because I have so much to do and no worthwhile help. If my hands aren't on something, it doesn't get done. Very sad and irritating.

Tod

15. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Tod,
    You know the old saying, if you want it done right...do it yourself. Keep up the great work and thanks for the updates. Very exciting stuff.
    Martin

16. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I really hate to say anything, because you never know what can spoil things, but today Kevin Prus Jr. fit the cam (and pump/distributor drive) in the test build block I have at his shop. He is boring the cylinders for .030 over pistons (maybe .020). Then comes Babbitt and a crank to fit the gears. When valves are installed everything else should be just bolting on parts to get it ready for a test run and video of it running. Obviously, if it blows up, I will not post the video!!!

Tod

17. telekenfun

telekenfun

Babbitt! That's OK for the purists but aren't you going to set up some line-bored mains for insert bearings? That would be the basis for a strong running banger even with only 3 mains.
    In any case, and I believe I speak for everyone following you; that we truly appreciate all your efforts towards casting new bangers.
    Best Regards and Good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

That was exactly my reaction too.... BABBITT ! ? Huh? What have I missed here?

19. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

People can put in whatever mains they want. I am not going to finish machine blocks for specific builds. This first block is being built for one reason - to test run it. So, yes, Babbitt. Don't like it? I don't really care. It will be assembled using all used, but still good, parts. Everything is being donated, so it can be done with as little cost as possible. If that is so offensive to anyone, let me know, so I can put you on the list of those too taken aback by my choice of initial testing direction that you will not be needing a block. Good grief.

Tod

raven, BCCHOPIT, hotrodfil and 2 others like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

I don't need one of these blocks (I'm a V8 guy)' but I can't wait to see pics of this new block. Even pics of you assembling with all these old parts. The babbit process would be cool to see too.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't run an A-bone banger, nor do a plan to, but I applaud the work you do and try give some moral support, and when it's needed I give a small bump for more guys to see.

But I see your point of keeping the cost down, but I see the point in making the block beefy enough so it can be machine for Babbitt and Inserts.

Not that I got a vote to cast, but I would think that it will double you customer base if make a block that appeals to both Rodders, racers, restorers and non-machinists, so the guys that wants to stay Babbitt can do so, but the guys that wants to run pressurized oiling, inserts and counterweights on the crank.

Just my .2 cents, from a guy who applauds the possibility to please the most people with one stone, or how the old saying goes. And deeply respects the work you do and already have done

22. telekenfun

telekenfun

OK, now I understand, Your intention is to develop and cast bare castings that an individual can machine to their liking. I can imagine that providing machined blocks will drastically slow down delivery and make the entire project unviable.
    You still have my Best Regards, KB.

23. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

The only machining I will not be doing is what people want that puts the blocks beyond basic stock blocks. If people want inserts for the mains they will have to have that done. There is a larger market for Babbitt. I do have 2 shops near me that could probably handle the added machining for inserts if a customer wanted that from me. The idea, after building this first test engine, is to crank them out as quickly as possible, which will not be easy considering how difficult getting castings can be. To do this first test build there is no extra machining to do if we use Babbitt. Since my builder is donating his time, I will let him make the calls. We just want to have the first one fire up and run.

Tod

waxhead, Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I apologize if I my post sounded like a complaint, it certainly was not intended that way. My reaction was surprise. It seems like babbitt would be more time and more effort than inserts with no real benefit and much more difficult to repair if there were to be a problem. I understand that it is your project, not mine and that you are vastly more knowledgeable than I am in this area. Again, I was just surprised.

I too would like to see pictures of what is happening. Thanks for the thread and thanks for all your hard work and investment.

25. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that 4 bangers are under control, can flathead V8's be far behind? :D

26. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

If the market wanted them. I was looking at a 24 stud block at Prus Jr.'s shop just 20 minutes ago. I have tooling for a new V8 60 head almost finished and a 21 stud head model under way. But those are both back-burner projects. I am pushing to get my OHV model finished for my new Model A OHV head.

Tod

kidcampbell71, Dannerr and volvobrynk like this.
  27. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Turns out the test block will be using .060 over pistons. All that good used stuff is at the shop already.

Tod

28. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Forget about it. It is more a matter of what is available for free/at hand stuff, than knowledge. To do a test build I am taking what I can get to get the first one running. We need to do this to see what bugs crop up, and what changes might be needed on my end.

Tod

Dannerr likes this.
  29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

You are doing an amazing job Tod

30. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

Great job,i read all your posts and i think its awesome.
    too bad i don't need a block.