Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 47 Plymouth disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MWWADE, Jun 12, 2016.

1. MWWADE

MWWADE

I would like to replace my stock 47 rearend with a later model rearend with disc brakes. I would also like for the stock rims to fit the new rearend. Then I would like to install disc on the front of the car. Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. porky55

porky55

Explorer or jeep rear end should be in the ball park. Both offer disc brakes. Scarebird is where I got my front kit

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 53 hemi

53 hemi

4. MWWADE

MWWADE

Porky, will the stock rims clear the disc?

5. raff23089

raff23089

6. your stock rims won't clear the calipers, my daily is a 98 grand cherokee and i would go with the explorer rear end since the dana 35 is junk in my opinion.

7. MWWADE

MWWADE

Will the stock rims fit on the explorers?

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you have 15" stock rims, they may clear the disc calipers (front and rear) if they are spaced out a 1/4". The issue is disc brake wheels have a dish built into them where the wheel mounts to the hub, and the stock wheels are flat there. You need the extra space to clear the calipers. The original wheels fit both the front rotors and the Explorer 8.8 disc rotors when there are not calipers mounted.
    If you have 14" wheels, they will not clear the rotors or the calipers. If you are running radial tires on those 40s wheels, the wheels are probably flexing when you turn! The basically flat centers are not up to the grip of today's radial tires. Then, if you use disc brake wheels, your hub caps might not fit. Despite the challenges, the disc brake upgrade is worth the effort. Gene

9. Jeepnjay

Jeepnjay