Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering options for 30 model A with sbc.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hot Rod 50, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

So is an F-1 box and column feasable with an sbc/ ram horn exhaust or should I look into a corvair box.

With the corvair I can stay with traditional steer correct? Highboy coupe with three inch dropped axle.

Thanks

Dustin

2. amadeus

amadeus

Plenty of room! Have built a couple with f1 columns .
    Plan accordingly and you should have zero issues.
    I will try and dig up some pics for you but I'm sure someone will chime in before that.

3. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Awesome. Thanks man.

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I used a steering box and column from a '62 VW bus. They come with a nifty bracket that is easy to attach to the frame. All you have to do is ream out the pitman arm to the correct taper.

5. synchro7

synchro7

6. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Wow that's a good idea. I'll have to research that a little. I have VW parts laying around but they're ghia stuff. Not sure if they used the same box or not. I kinda doubt it.

Thanks guys

7. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Yeah, I think the box you use is 55-67 VW type II.

8. I used a 62 bus in my 31 tudor.

10. youngsspeed

youngsspeed

I used a F1 box modified to work with the VW mount. it was easy. I like how it puts drag link level with the radius rod. 034.JPG

11. verde742

verde742

When I tried to use Volks Bus it would not turn far enuff each way, Frustrated me.

12. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Stay with the F1.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Try using a steering box from a 1960's Dodge pickup. Nobody seems to know about this one and it is readily available. Dodge was the last of the big 3 that kept a straight front axle until 1971. It mounts pretty much the same as the F1 with the added bonus of a splined shaft for the steering column. The only down side I see to it is that the pitman arm has a large tapered hole and the standard early Ford tie rod end doesn't fit. I ended up using a tie rod end from a 1954 Plymouth which has the same 11/16th " thread as Ford.

brett4christ likes this.
  14. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Awesome. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info guys.

15. Need a Longer pitman arm or shorter steering arms. Either one increases turning travel and steering effort.

16. The F1 works fine with a small block, I actually prefer first gen F-100 but the F1 works fine.

You can also use an aluminum MOPAR box if you are shooting got the 60s look as well as a reversed corvair and stay with side steer. If you want to go cross steer the vair box doesn't need to be reversed. I prefer a side steer myself it is just simpler.

The SBC is easy to work with steering wise unless you go nuts and mount yours like the one in this A sedan. Then things get a little trickier. LOL

mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif
    front3quarter.jpeg

Keep it simple and everything will be fine. ;)

17. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

If I might be so bold to butt in!! Why not use cross steer like you referred to? Seems like the old F1 or the f100. Are a choice of many but the cross steer seems like a good fit but what the hell do I know.. Let the Fire begin!! You might have more lee way with cross steer.

18. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

I do want to stay traditional steer. Thanks for the info beaner.

19. I am not a big fan of the side steer, but it's up to you.

20. my best recollection for my tudor with 327 and rams horns, built in 1963 was to use a '56 F100 and the same hole as original steering.
    [​IMG]