Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Accident in 1960 Pontiac-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2bubbas, May 22, 2016.

1. Had a fender bender yesterday- would like to say it was someone's fault but mine- I stopped at stop sign and pulled forward not yielding to on coming traffic- that is what the Police decided and the way it was written up- someone said the car pulled out of drive just before corner- it happened so fast- my first crash ever- Police first wanted to say I had run the sign- no ticket given-

Pontiac hurt but not dead- no photos taken yet- looks to me like a bumper- grill- hood and drivers fender plus odds and ends-

First responders loaded both wife and I into ambulance but we both refused the ride and said we would seek our own medicial treatment- We have bumps and bruises- finding more with each passing hour- I injured my left ankle- hit my ribs on steering wheel- wife hurt right arm and has seat belt bruises- the 60 had aftermarket seat belts and they did their job- x-rays show no breaks- but deep bruising-

Could have been much worse-

2. Glad there were no serious injuries.

6inarow likes this.
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could have been worse x2!
    Glad you are ok so far. The Pontiac sheetmetal is fixible, the downside is it won´t heal on its own:)Good you are here to tell the story. Does your car have lap belts or 3 point belts?

4. Just lap belts-

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If your gonna have a wreck, best to be in a heavy car like a 60 Pontiac. Those must weigh five thousand pounds. I bought one in the early 70's just for the rearend, as I was building a 62 Nova drag car. This incident happened a couple of days after removing the rearend from the Pontiac. It had been sitting on jackstands(cheap ones), on asphalt in the hot summer sun and I had not seen that some of the jackstands' legs had been slowly sinking into the asphalt.
    Long story short, that car fell over completely crushing those stamped steel jackstands and I had just been planning on getting under it to remove something else.

6. Glad you and your lady are gonna be ok. Dang if there wasn't a '6o Poncho in the classifieds this am. Don't kick yourself in the ass too much, you're human!

7. Glad you and the misses are O.K. Bruce.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Glad you're basically ok.
    Gotta watch out for those ambulances. Take the ride and you may find yourself with a bill for $1,000+ ambulance ride that your insurance company may balk at if it wasn't "medically necessary".

9. Hope that you both are feeling better soon. You'll get the car fixed soon enough.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am very happy to learn that you are not hurt badly.

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Been there. glad no one was seriously hurt. Hope your insurance Co. will act quickly on the repairs. Things will get back to normal. I drove my Chevy for over 20 years until some knuckle head rear ended me in the rain last year.

12. I was the knucklehead in this accident- surely the other driver thinks so-

13. Hagerty Appraiser not that familiar with 1960 Pontiac- I drove it to Black River Custom and they got the hood open and will work with Hagerty's Appraiser-

14. Ouch.... But it could have been worse. This also illustrates one of the problems with old cars; no crumple zone. If you'd been in something late model, the whole front end would probably be trash but your injury would probably be scalded jewels from spilling your hot coffee in your lap...

At least you're both OK.

15. If you are in a "no fault" state, always take the ambulance ride. This is what the instructor at my driver's safety course says. Best to get checked out and those aches and pains show up hours and days later. In NY with my 2011 accident, I was covered for $50k in personal injury treatment and I spent every dime. My newest policy I'm covered for $100k.

16. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

That looked worse than mine last year. Glad you are fine. The car will get fixed.

17. Finding parts has been tough- have found most but would like a better hood and driver's fender- hood I've found has dent in leading edge and fender not much better than the wrecked one- so still searching-

Wife is pretty much recovered- all her bruises gone- I had some additional x-rays taken and still found no broken bones- didn't think it could hurt this badly and not be something broken- was in a half cast but now walking on it- told it might hurt walking and would swell again by end of day- it does but getting better each day now-

18. Clevername

Clevername

I have a 60 Impala, I have been meaning to make some kind of slip steering column. I may elevate that task on the old list.

19. Glad you guys are on the mend and you're chasing parts. One doctor told me about car accidents, you don't get all of the pain all at once, you get it in steps. And I believe it, living proof.

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Back in the 60's . we'd have hooked up that fender to the "kansas jack" & pulled it out & straightened it .. hood's a dead duck.
    dave

21. 100_0537.JPG
    Repaired but for fitting the hood- maybe in a week or so- I did it here at home- was work but I enjoyed it for the most part-

6inarow, tb33anda3rd, bobwop and 3 others like this.
  22. is that the pontiac used in one of those how to paint your car books? it looks like the one at the back of the book showing how to wet sand/buff out a hood. just curious

23. Glad its all coming back together.Bruce.

DFH-GMC likes this.
  24. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

25. Looking good. HRP

26. not to my knowledge-

27. replied to PM-

28. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Glad to see all is back and looking good!

29. 60 and bob.jpg
    Repairs finished and been back on road a couple months- was able to match color pretty good-