Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need Advice Getting Paid From Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goboy33, Jun 10, 2016.

1. goboy33

goboy33
    from Florida

Has anyone shipped a part to Australia? Looking for the best method to use for getting paid prior to shipping. Money Order, Bank Check, Paypal, Other? I want to recommend the best option to the buyer in Australia but I don't want to be responsible for any conversion fees. I want to be paid in U.S. dollars. Prefer to incur no fees at all but with Paypal I believe the seller pays the fees.
    Could use some recommendations from anyone who has experience with this. Thanks!

2. alchemy

alchemy

When I sell parts to Australia I get paid by PayPal, through my brother's account. I think if you have the buyer sent it "friends and family" there won't be fees, and they should sent it in US dollars.

I always ship out of the country via USPS and the package has never been lost. There is no tracking once it leaves the US, but I've been lucky so far. Insure your shipment just in case.

3. you can still use paypal even if you dont have an account with them. You can run your credit card through paypal for payment. If the seller decides to screw you, you should be able to get your money back from paypal.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there is eBay Australia so, maybe check with eBay / PayPal - should be getting better replies from those that do USA - Australia business a lot

5. I don't know how much money is involved so I am probably way off base. Last parts I sent I got paid with a money order and it came through to me in US dollars. I don't know how that worked but it was not Australian in Australian currency. its difficult when the exchange rate changes almost hourly.

I think that for the safety of both parties that Pay pal is a good avenue, you just have to add whatever cost is incurred or eat it one of the other.

6. Squablow

Squablow

I've shipped hundreds of packages to Australia and I always got paid by Paypal. Have never had an issue. Yes, you can send it as a "gift" to get around fees but if Paypal catches on they can suspend your account for that. If you don't do much selling that's probably no big deal but for me my Paypal account standing is critical and it's like 2.75% or something like that. If the guy needs to send you $200 have him tack on $5 and Paypal it.

That's what I do anyway. If we're talking big bucks here (like over a grand or something) then you want to do a bank wire transfer. Go to your bank, open up a new account, give your buyer the account number, have them wire it to you in US dollars, then withdraw and close the account. There's a fee for that too I think but it's well worth it for peace of mind.

7. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Warning: if you use "gift" or "friends and family" there is NO protection on claims if something happens in transit.

Wire is best. Check with the bank and ask them for the fee associated with a wire and have them added into the amount you reqest.

8. I don't deal with a *big city bank anymore. At my bank when I want to do a wire transfer they just assign me a different number and when the cash come in they credit my normal account with it.no charge..

*I know that there is a better term than that.

9. midroad

midroad

I'm an Aussie and have bought a lot from the US. Paypal is the safest for both you and the buyer. Yes, there are charges at your end but you can add them to the bill.
    You will have to work out the exchange if you are selling direct but if on ebay or craigslist that will be done for you.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Likewise another Ozzie, I've been buying form across the ditch for many many years without issue and using PayPal all the time through E-Bay. I also have both Ozzie and US shipping addresses to expedite my purchases and sales. With US address I can consolidate multiple purchases, ship them locally and individually and then only send one parcel here. Saves on time and $$$$. I've never had an issue except where some US based sellers don't want the hassle of shipping internationally and having to fill in a Customs declaration. I'll then ship to my US address if I really want it or just pass.
    Money orders are worse than snail mail as they take forever, bank cheques are worse and take longer to clear. I'd suggest sending a request via PayPal in $USD and he'll receive it in $AUD. There are some fees however they are inevitable.

11. skipperman

skipperman

Bank wire transfer ..... PERIOD !!! I ship cars/parts all over the planet regularly ... SAFEST WAY !!

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I like bank (wire) transfers for large expensive items but not for my smaller purchases, bank fees are too expensive down here from my experience when sent internationally. Have a friend that imports cars down here, he has a US bank account that he wires money to from down under on an 'As needs' basis to minimise his overall fees.

13. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Just don't accept alternative forms of payment...
    I received a Dingo in lieu of cash, for parts I sold, and the Dingo Ate My Baby!

Seriously. PayPal or Wire Transfer from Bank to Bank.

14. 5window

5window

Oh, "paid" from Australia. I thought you said ...well never mind. :)