Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Imperial Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonzo-1, Jun 6, 2016.

1. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

What size hemi should be in this car? Looks original and motor is tight.

Attached Files:

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's a '51-52 Imperial sedan. It would have had a 331ci Chrysler Hemi stock and that sure looks like one to me. The earlier engines had smaller ports and an extended bellhousing, which makes them somewhat less desirable than the later Chryslers. But they're all desirable in their own way and can be built to suit your needs. The car looks like it's wasting away, so grab the Hemi before it gets scrapped.

Hnstray and Dapostman like this.
  3. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Make sure you get the headlight bulbs. It has the Autolite Bullseye bulbs. They are hard to find and worth money even if they do not light up. That car must of been sitting a long time. Do a search on them.

Gotgas likes this.
  4. Looks to be a 1953 which would carry a 331 c.i. HEMI.

5. Good catch on the bulbs, I had one when my old bike was still 6V (back in the '70s) not only looked cool even to the uninformed but they seemed to make more light than the common off the shelf seal beam.

yes it should be a 331 and the extended bell is not a problem, a 727 still can be adapted (or what ever you want really these days).

1927graham likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you search for it you can also find the procedure for cutting off the extended bell and modifying the block.

7. There's zero need for that, none at all anymore.

8. I actually did that a time or two before it occurred to me that you could just extend the crank. :D

They used to get done both ways back when you couldn't just order the parts. I never saw it to be an issue, the long bell blocks were not as desirable but we used whatever we could get.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. I was told I was wrong about this. Yep....I am wrong. It is a 1951 or 1952 Imperial. It has a split windshield (which was pointed out to me) and the 1953 and 1954 had a curved, one-piece windshield. Thank you "Hnstray" for the lesson. I love to learn.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D A simple 'edit' would have handled that........

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The '53-54 Imperials also had a different rear door shape than the earlier cars, which is apparent in the first photo.

'51-52
    [​IMG]

'53-54
    [​IMG]

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^that is true for Chrysler and Desoto in those years as well.

Ray

13. I don't really like to edit after learning something. It sort of makes me look like I changed my original answer (which it would). As I said, I love to learn, so as long as I learn, I don't look sneaky. Does that make sense?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes.... I understand your point and generally agree.......though I have, on occasion, deleted a post after I learned I was in error about something :(. But more often, I 'fess up.

Ray

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm glad you guys got that out in the open. :D

LOU WELLS, Dog_Patch and Hnstray like this.
  16. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Whats a car like this worth. Interior is completely shredded. Car is complete but not restorable.

17. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

$1000 if there is anti-freeze in the cooling system - otherwise scrap price

18. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

I dont really think anyone is going to sell that car for the $100 scrap price.

19. The car in the original post is one of 21,711 built during it's two year (1951 and 1952) model span.

20. I run a '53 bored 1/8" over with 354 pistons in my '36 Willys coupe gasser clone. I have a pair of truck heads with the big valves and big ports I want to adapt to the engine when I get the chance. The truck heads don't have the water crossover ports like the 354/392 heads so look correct for the 331 but they do have water instead of exhaust heat crossover, heavy sodium filled valves that must be changed and a couple of weird bosses cast on the front that need to be cut off. Who ever claimed hot rodding was easy? Oh and the tranny Machine brand sold thru B&M trannys in the '60s to adapt the great Dual Range Hydramatic tot he long housing. It was my high school graduation present in '67.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Try this to determine specifics of what you have. According to them they were extended bell housings for that YOM?

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for posting. First time I recall hearing about a Hydramatic being adapted to a Chrysler.......but now that you mention it, it would be a "natural", as both Olds and Cadillac had extended bell blocks in those days. Maybe that's what many of the great old Hemi powered gasses were using in the period. :)

Ray

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The late '54 Hemi engines did away with the extended bell housing.

24. Here are some pictures of my tranny and adaptor.
    Drag Machine adaptor.jpg Tranny 2.jpg tranny adaptor.jpg

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^thanks for posting the pics. I gather their also was some sort of modification or adapter used to attach the Hydro fluid coupling to the Chrysler crankshaft.......??

Ray

26. I usually say I was wrong incase someone else saw it and decided to run with it.

But like you my friend I don't have a problem being wrong. Maybe its an age thing. :D

27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Back in 1967, I bought a 51-52 Chrysler Imperial from a friend whose dad owned the Chrysler garage in town. Two door hardtop with leather interior and power windows and a hemi engine. The car was so quite that you couldn't tell if the engine was running or not, but the tranny had a bad fluid leak and would take a quart a week. The thing I remember the most is the large round chrome gas tank filler cap on the drivers side that was spring loaded and controlled with a button on the dash. Back then attendant would come to your car and fill your tank. I would look out the side mirror and when he was just about to touch the cap, I would push the button and watch them jump back like it was going to bit them. I went into the service and when i got back from basic training I found the car gone and my dad said he gave it to the wrecking yard to get rid of it.

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^brings back memories....When I was in the service (Navy) in the early '60s, I bought a '53 New Yorker 2 door post from a shipmate. Typical of Korean era 'chrome', the car had some deteriorating trim, but the paint was still good and the interior immaculate.

Like you, I found the engine so smooth and quiet, you really couldn't be sure it was running at a stoplight....but it always was.....just well muffled and well damped. Great 'ol car. I later sold it to another shipmate who getting transferred off the ship just before we left for WESPAC. He could use it and I couldn't:D

Ray

29. 73RR

73RR

...when I left the states I put my older brother in charge of my 64 Polara and my 68 GTX...
    he managed to wreck both........we don't talk much these days.....

30. Fedman

Fedman

:( Not One............. But Two!
    I Would not be talking much either......... :confused: