Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New carb suggestions ? for my 1960 Chevy Biscayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Jun 5, 2016.

1. So I'm thinking of replacing the Holley on my 60 Chevy... Looking for suggestions on a replacement... Its a pretty well stock 350 sbc with headers good runner ... Looking to go with a electric choke style... What's a good carb these days and recommend CFM ? Thank you !

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

What type of Holley is on it? Pretty sure that Holley sells electric choke kits for their carbs. So, if it runs well with what you have, and it just needs an electric choke, buy a kit and convert it.

I did the opposite with my Holley by putting a manual choke kit on it.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check into Edelbrock 1406 - 600 cfm, elec choke

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1406 is also what I have been using. Seems to work great.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit MO8600. Remake of the Autolite. Inexpensive with no leaks. Good luck.

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Save your money and pump it twice and let it warm up! I have never been able to adjust the electric choke. But I am OLD

czuch likes this.
  7. looking at the 1406 600cfm... going to look at some online warehouses...

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Just changed my Son's mild build 350 to an Edelbrock 600...
    Great success...and easy to tune.

9. some reviews on the Summit web site regarding the 1406 carbs... looks like a lot of good about it .. only 7-8 bad transactions... one guy venting because is didn't come with booster fitting...

10. @rob-redm What are you using for an intake? Is the Holley adapted to a stock Q-Jet intake for example or you are using an intake that takes a square bore carb as opposed to a spread bore carb?

I think that a lot of what you decide depends on the intake as much as the rest of the motor.

i.rant likes this.
  11. it has a Edelbrock intake right now....need to take a look and see what model intake it is... I have forgot

12. I would think that you would want a bolt on carb and not one that requires an adapter. About 500-600 CFM is a fair starting place unless your intake us designed for more carb than that, a manifold cannot operate efficiently if you can't keep the plenum full of air. Edelbrock will have a suggested CFM target and it will be based in intake design.

If your intake is of spread bore design that will also effect your carb choice. Knowing which Holley you are running and if it is adapted or bolt on direct will help. A Holley single feed single pump 1850 for example is a square bore carb, if there is not adapter between the carb and intake then you probably want a square bore carb. A Holley 6210 is a common spread bore carb a common Q-Jet replacement carb. The primaries are smaller than the secondaries, if it is bolted directly to the intake and had no adapter than you are going to be hunting a spread bore type of carb.

Does any of that make any sense?

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are running a spread bore intake take a look at the 3 barrel 625 street demon. I have a few buddies who are swearing by them (not at them). follow this link https://www.holley.com/brands/demon/

If you are running a square bore intake the Speed Demon is a great cab. Think of it as a Holley on steroids. 4 corner metering, dual sight glasses, easy adjustments. I had some trouble a while back with one of my Speed Demons but a little help from their techs and it is set up and running hard.

They have mechanical secondary carbs (Mighty Demon) and vacuum models (Road Demon and Speed Demon). And they utilize Holley rebuild kits and parts for simple upkeep and repairs.

14. Thank you guys for all the information... the intake and Holley carb were on it when I bought the 60..
    I will looks and see what the model intake is on the engine... and what model Holley... and get back soon. TY

15. OK, So the intake is a Edelbrock Performer (dual plane) . The carb is a Holley 1850 600cfm on the car right now.
    Going to start off by replacing the fuel filter (Ethanol issue maybe)...missing on cold start up and acceleration.. under normal driving seems to be ok.. Spoke with my buddy about the issue I was having... He rebuilt the carb a few years back ( was told the rebuild parts/gaskets were ethanol resistant). I know the ethanol can play hell with this stuff... Like he told be start with a new fuel filter... may be causing a lean condition... worth a try...

16. You may look at the accelerator pump even the blue ones that are alcohol resistant go bad sometimes.

17. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I curently running a new stock sbc 350 and im running a 600cfm carb edelbrock 1406. I got mine tuned so good that on cold starts it starts right up choke isnt even hooked up on mine at all if anything just hold your foot on the gas berely just for it to warm up about maybe a minute and that it

18. 1406 here as well, of all the cars I have it is the most reliable one in the stable, but it sounds like you just need to clean the one you have.

Electric/automatic choke is nice, though. If you do go with a new one, shoot me a pm, I'd be interested in the old Holley for a good price. ;)

19. Also, if you have any lakes, or waterways near you, most marinas sell ethanol-free fuel. That's what I use in all my yard equipment and early stuff.

20. I had that same issue on another carb we rebuilt... accelerator pump seal would not seat right... had to have went through three before we got a one that worked right

21. I will let you know if the Holley goes bye bye ! :D

22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Call Quick Fuel, great customer service and a very good carb.

23. Saw another thread on spark plugs ..the 60 is running old Autolite 75 plugs (nla) heard about quality issues on Autolite..from a older thread...these plugs have been in the car for a while.

Sent from my XT1585 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. NGK? suggestions... Autolite 85 is the replacement for the 75..

Sent from my XT1585 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. FortMoe

FortMoe

Carb - Edelbrock 1406
    Plugs - AC

jeffd1988 likes this.
  26. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AC plugs for GM, Autolite for Ford. Tune up with a new fuel filter. Much cheaper than a new carb.........then still need a tune up.

27. carbking

carbking