Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. It has a hard time firing, because the idle part throttle on the injectors has to be fat (no accelerator pump) to leave without a hiccup, and those friggen magnetos, don't make much spark at cranking/low speeds. I'll get kicked in the nuts for this, but a modern ignition (you can make it look old school) would be a night & day difference for drivabilty.., not to mention those damn mags weigh like 50 lbs!

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The header problems are all taken care of, and the 55 is all back together. So far everything is checking out OK. The Muncie is shifting the best that it has in years, and there were no problems with the new clutch. Yeah.....There are fresh black marks in the driveway. :D

Planning to go to The Heads Up Drags, tomorrow. Weather permitting, I'll be racing. If not, then as a spectator. Anyone else going?

30dodgeboy, Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  3. Hmmm you might be on to something Ric. Wonder if I can move this electronic pickup over to this old school dizzy. The cap is made for 7mm wires and I've got solid core 7mm wire. Wonder if a MSD 6AL would be upset with solid core wire o_O if the timing is locked out it should be a simple mod.
    image1.JPG image2.JPG

4. You might check with MSD, on the solid core wires if not, Pep Boys sells Bor Warner spiral core 7mm wires at around $35 set. The are actually pretty good, with low ohm resistance per foot. Well, not sure they'd have an early Hemi set though.

5. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

We will see you there!

I am hoping to get a few passes in, it has been a long time since I have driven the car. Marc Panneton was also nice enough to give me some driving tips. He said they are the same things he does that gets him 4 tenths faster than Ric... I can use anything to close the gap with Scott's 289

6. Leaving on time would be a great start. There is a new drag race movie coming out about you Sasquatch, it's called "50 Shades of Green"

30dodgeboy, 55belairx2 and powrshftr like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look out guys I am charging my battery. 20160603_205936.jpg

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Those W motors man.....Not many things look as gorgeous as one of them all dressed up!

Scott

55belairx2 and Dog_Patch like this.
  9. Except a 700 HP 289 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  10. powrshftr

powrshftr

I am sorta partial to them.....:)

Hey,one really cool detail I forgot to mention about the motor,was that when we were setting it up for the crankcase breathers,Fred was able to mill some bosses off the inside of the valve covers,and fabricate & weld in new,smaller baffles.
    This doesn't sound like much,but it allows me to use my killer Holman/Moody valve covers that have been sitting on a shelf for almost 20 years,without needing those goofy spacers for them to clear my rockers.
    Looks a little cleaner,and less leaks.:)

Scott

Deuced Up! and 55belairx2 like this.
  11. Hey there cracker seasoning, those ole factor intake manifolds have no real plenum volume to speak of, and usually get a lot happier with carb spacers. Have you tried any?

saltflats likes this.
  12. 4406

from Oklahoma

Ricks brother in laws car

Tickety Boo likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have not and I did get some but with my ability to hide my own Easter eggs I can't find them now but the plans is to install some and jack up the back side of the hood and finish the pan for my cowl induction.

55belairx2 and Tickety Boo like this.
  14. We did Pistons for a 434" ''09 a couple years back with the Perfomer RPM 2x4 manifold that is probably a little better than the factory intake, and it liked 750 AFB's and 3" of spacer best.

saltflats likes this.
  15. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Holy. Cow,now that's funny!!

16. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Every year another tenth or two gets added to this fish story...

30dodgeboy, powrshftr and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24213758134_9042bc1a64.jpg
    Got my eye on one of these

Dog_Patch, racer-x and powrshftr like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24841932805_bdb6c213c8.jpg
    They offer this for the guys that can't tune one with out help.

19. That's more like it. Short runner though, you'll have to wind it pretty tight, or build a bigger incher. I've known Carl (McQuillen) for about 20 years.

saltflats likes this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ric you never know what kind of rabbit I my pull out of my hat.

Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  21. YEA! Every time Jeff rubs that in my face, I'm s crappier driver than the last time.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just got back from The Heads Up. Had a good time. It was nice talking with you Jeff. The Okie Doker looks like it's running well. Pretty quick, plus nice and consistent. A very cool 57.

Bob, (62 Furious), it was good meeting you. Remember, there's about 6 weeks to get the Plymouth done. The Meltdown will be here quicker than you think.

Learned something today......The Weather Channel is full of S**T. At 8 am, they were reporting 70% - 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms. There ended up being a few spits of rain, really early, and then by noon, it was a excellent day for racing. Had a great time as a spectator, though.

23. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Torkwrench you are correct about the weather forecast. We ended up not going because all we heard is there was going to be strong storms by the afternoon. I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

What did the old Okie Doker turn?

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hopefully not his axle housing this time!

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  26. I caught a video of the Opie Choker making a lap next to a 55 Chevy, not owned by Eric. Same story though, the 55 handed him his Giraffe ass!:p

27. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Oh I was afraid that come July he was going to open up a can of whoop ass on Scott and Eric. What the hell was I thinking?

28. Stop living in fantasy world man!

29. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Nothing to see here folks... Slow reaction times and e.t.s.... No need to worry about me

Dog_Patch likes this.
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

According to my anonymous sources,you were running pretty good at the Hunnert Car....Obviously you don't have any more transmission or axle problems.:)

Scott