Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear brake shoes hanging up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959 F100, May 28, 2016.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you push the rear shoe to the pin with the bleeder open does it push the front shoe away? If it does it has to be in the emergency brake.

2. 1959 F100

1959 F100

I may have found the problem: took the LR wheel cylinder off, as I took it apart one piston would barely budge.(the one that pressed against the rear shoe) finally got it tapped out, and it had a bump on the outer edge. I carefully filed it down smooth, and the piston moved smoothly. Used My bicycle air pump and blew out the line going to that wheel, and lubed the shoe contact areas. Doing same to right rear wheel

3. 1959 F100

1959 F100

Problem is solved! Blowing both rear lines out, and fixing that wheel cyl piston on LR wheel did the trick, the rear shoe goes right back as it should

4. oj

oj

Glad you fixed it. I would have added to check one other spot, there are raised areas in the backing plate the shoe rests on. Those areas get worn down and get a ridge to them, when I restore the brakes I build those little plateaus back up with weld. Next time you have one apart have a look at them and you'll see what I mean.

5. I though you said you had rebuilt the wheel cylinders,regardless I'm glad you have the problem corrected. HRP