Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy Bel Air Rocker Moulding/Trim Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SFO, May 24, 2016.

1. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

Hi All-
    A little embarrassed to ask, but I'm getting my car ready for Santa Maria this weekend, and for the life of me I cant figure out how to get the rocker clips and moulding installed on my 54 Bel Air. Attached are pictures that I 'borrowed' from some HAMBer build threads, and the interwebs, to illustrate the parts I'm talking about. Google and search on HAMB didn't turn up anything.

The yellow circled rectangular hole (see pic) doesn't seem to marry to the clip in a way that makes sense to me..and im assuming the trim slides over the top?

My bro and I have been putting the whole damn car together, and this stumped us haha. If anyone has a picture of how these go on, that would be GREAT.

Attached Files:

2. chargin03

chargin03

wrong clips for rectangular holes.

3. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

If the car came stock with those holes, it's weird every outlet selling 53-54 rocker clips would only have the post drill ones. You have any pictures of some NOS ones?

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Can you move over, and screw the new clips in next to the existing holes ?

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

After you get the clips attached , don't try to slide the moulding. Hang it on the top of all the clips and then tap the bottom on.

6. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Hold your trim up against the rocker were you would like it to go. Mark the center line of the trim on the rockers at each end and use a steel rule/straight edge to draw a line the length of your rockers.

Determine if the holes in your clips is centered. If they are drill pilot holes between square holes at appropriate intervals/locations. Screw on your clips and pop on your trim (hang and pop as mentioned above).

If the screw holes in the brackets aren't centered adjust the placement up or down along your line so your trim will end up where you want it.

7. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

Thanks all. I wanted to avoid drilling if possible, but may have to if there's no clip that goes into the factory "rectangle" hole

8. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

How about drilling the last clip, the front one bolts through the fender, and using double-sided tape for the center ones if you really dont want to make holes.

..or find some nos clips somewhere.