Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 216 distributor wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fafaniruzik, May 22, 2016.

1. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Hey all tried researching this and couldn't find an answer. There are two wires coming from the distributor. The one that is lighter coming from the left side in the picture goes to the coil. But I can't figure out where the red one goes (wasn't hooked up when I got it and hadn't run in 30 years) my guess is that it's a grounding wire but wanted some assurance from the great and wise.
    I checked out the wiring diagrams for this truck and couldn't find anythimg 1463930116220.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Sorry. Forgot to mention this is a 1947 chevrolet thriftmaster 3/4 ton

Sent from my SM-G930V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Possible lead from an aftermarket Tach that once was in the truck ? This lead can be done either at the distributor or the coil.

[​IMG]

4. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Actually both of those wires went to a polarity reversing switch, which Chevrolet used on your model but later eliminated. Check out this 1948 Service bulletin - it explains how to eliminate the polarity switch. All that being said, I think what you said will work just fine with todays points and condenser, just run the red wire to a good engine ground.

http://1954advance-design.com/Web images/CSN-Oct-48-Polarity-Reversing-Switch.pdf

fafaniruzik likes this.

5. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Oh good I was wondering about that too. I couldn't find the polarity reverse switch. It may have been eliminated when upgraded to 12v

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

She lives!! Grounded it and works just fine

waldo53 likes this.