Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Suppose It's 1965 and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Umbra, May 25, 2016.

1. Squablow

Squablow

8" wide rims will ruin the early-mid 60's vibe, extremely few wheels were made that wide since there weren't really tires available to take that width until the later 60's, and the rallys have to go.

I think a more period looking wheel and tire setup is all I would do to this one. A guy in 1965 who bought a 283 2bbl post sedan was probably not intending to go drag racing or show it anyway, but a cool set of wheels and tires, definitely. Even if it is just the thin stripe whitewall tires and baldy caps on blacked out steel wheels.

brad2v, Phillips and slowmotion like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Say what!

falcongeorge and slowmotion like this.
  3. Umbra

Umbra

I'm lovin' the ideas, stories and the pics as well. Nice cars!

I appreciate all the input. It's too damn bad I've only got this one. I've built at least five of the suggested cars in my head already.
    It's fun to picture what this car would've (and will?) looked like during that period. It's too new to be a traditional rod, so I think it'll be fun to do it up like it was dad's commuter car passed down to a kid a little later and then stuck in a barn 'til now.

I'm starting to get a picture of it.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wasnt born til 69 but I remember this in the 70s as a kid and have even had a few sets of shackles myself.
    (nothing too radical)
    A lot of guys still wanted M50s that would tear the quarters out of em when I started driving:D
    http://70sstreetmachines.tumblr.com/

5. 327Eric

327Eric

baby moons, and dragstrip stickers. I'd probably be poor then too.

Squablow likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

:D

7. Umbra

Umbra

That link is the funniest. I'm not sure if I'm fascinated or nauseous. :)
    Slots, cragars, Keystones and shag carpeting as far as the eye can see.

I'm old enough to remember some cars like those in the neighborhood.

8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

For a hod rodder in the 60's and 70's, stock wheels, especially dog-dish hubcaps where one of the first things to change on a car. Mags were IN!!

9. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Glad someone remembered the reverb unit for that AM radio.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Ditto....!

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah. reverb..Guys at work told me all the chicks loved them..So I put one in and the first girl to hear it told me to shut that fuck'in thing off..Waste of 20 bucks..

Old-Soul likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Damn, where do they go?

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Technically you coudnt use em on a coil spring 63 chev but they are extended peices that go between the rear of the leaf spring and spring hanger, or in front of the front leafs on a 4x4.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. I was 17 in 1965...this is what I'd have done, keeping in mind my parents lived in central Oregon.
    Keep the 283 and put an afb on it. Put dual exhaust on it with glasspacs. I never saw Americans on any local car in '65. If we had a good summer working in the hay fields, we'd spring for a set of 14" chrome reverse wheels with blackwalls. Whitwalls had fallen out of favor in the early 60s. If we didn't, medium width whitewalls [even though out of favor] with black wheels and baby moons
    That powerglide would have been swapped out for a 3 speed or if we were bucks up...a T-10 with hurst shifter.
    Stance would have remained stock height...original paint would have been hand rubbed with Dupont #7 rubbing compound and waxed with Blue Corral. Interior would have remained stock with maybe a shrunken head hanging from the mirror and a sun or dixco tach.....maybe even a trio of aftermarket gauges under the dash.......interior would have to be super clean.
    That's about all we could afford back then.

15. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

In '75 I had a '65 with 327, 4 speed, 4 barrel Holley, solid lifter cam and dual exhaust. Blew the motor and bought a '63 Belair two door post small block, 4 barrel with power glide. The '63 was painted light green and I put chrome reverse wheels with baby moon hubcaps and black wall tires on it. Wish I still had her...

16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Considering I was a planted seed in 65, My choice would be chrome slots not Aluminum, chrome slots are the next best thing IMO to Halibrands in this day/age stock steel in rear black/white an Period cheaters...

17. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Well seeing as this is a pre 64 site, wouldn't anything you would have done to it be non-traditional?

18. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Squablow and Rocky said. There may have been a lot of "mags" in the magazines, but baldies, black steelies (14" most likely) and thin whites would have been the typical budget choice. (although my brother did have Rader style twin ribs on his 57 Belair in '65)

19. 66cayne

66cayne

20. 66cayne

66cayne

thats PERFECT!

21. big_lebowski_3.jpg
    Duuuuuude!

22. Put these Z-11 wheels and on it BEFORE anything else!
    These are '63 Chevy factory 5-1/2 wide 15 inch
    with vintage Firestone Delux Champions, Exactly
    what a Z-11 would have had.
    ........ and I know where they are right now! 00V0V_78CZYXTUurA_1200x900.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

True. Since 1965 was stated it could be a TH400 then. But a TH350 would go in with no changes basically.

24. Umbra

Umbra

(TH350 in the garage right now....shhhh. It's free and easy at the moment...)

Yep...I'm down to the factory style wheels painted black or body color, OR the chrome reverse with baby moons either way.
    I like the mags, but I see them a lot locally. Stock wheels or chrome steelies, not so much. I think the mags look better on the Impalas.

25. Umbra

Umbra

This is awesome.
    Now I gotta shrink a head. I do have this neighbor with a dog that yaps all night...hmmmm.

26. 97

Knowing me I would have bought it for way under market price. The only reason to buy a modern car like that would be to part it out, sell the leftovers for a profit and replace the flathead in my 29 RPU with a near new 283 .

32Stoker likes this.
  27. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

That would have never happened in my world. It would have been a Fairlane and a 289 4 spd

28. Umbra

Umbra

If I had brought home a Ford, The Old Man would have beat my ass and moved my stuff to the shed, then my Grandad ( an olds man) would have burned down the shed, shot me and "danced about on my grave".

29. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the 2 door post here is mine from a few years back, warmed up 327 & glide. 100_3132.jpg 100_3133.jpg

30. Umbra

Umbra

Niiiiiicccee!