Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 331 Cadillac Tranny removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, May 25, 2016.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm trying to get the original auto transmission off of the engine. Have removed the transmission bolts and starter to no avail. Shouldn't this thing just slip off with the torque converter staying bolted to the flywheel? It doesn't appear that I need to remove the torque converter from the flywheel, if I do there seems to be shitloads of bolts...

Stevie

2. You need to separate the flywheel from the torus. Three should be 30 bolts, and yes, you will need to rotate the engine/transmission to remove them all.

The transmission will not separate with the torus bowl attached to the flywheel. Make sure you drain the torus before you start.

cad-lasalle likes this.
  3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well that sucks, the engine is stuck.....

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

"On the bright side, the dual range trans torus bolt count is down to 18.''
    Today I learned something ... when I tore down the '54 GMC, I assumed all dual range went to 18 ... Thanks, D2 !
    Take enough time to get it turning - that's a stout trans.

Last edited: May 26, 2016

5. I had to separate an Olds 324 from a hydro (same transmission). I had to disconnect the rod caps in order to rotate the crank to access all the torus bolts.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Not so on Cadillacs, they have the 30 bolts. Only Hudson, Willys, Nash, and Chevy trucks had the smaller 18 bolt torus.

warbird1, 302GMC and Speedy Canuck like this.
  7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Had the same problem with a stuck (and cracked) 371 with DC hydro. Ended up torching 2 big holes to get to 2 of the 4 torus to flexplate bolts.

If the engine is seized and you can get the rod caps off, and the crankshaft will come out, you can simply pull the crankshaft and transmission away from engine and out.
    The torus does have about a 1/4 inch of play that might allow pulling the hydramatic back and away from Cadillac integral bell housing.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  8. I know its been awhile but I have a 49 331 which was "stuck".
    The fuel pump pushrod had worn into the cam and the car was left parked. After sitting for yrs,it seized up in it's bore(pushrod),locking up the motor.
    A few heavy taps on the pushrod and a bar on the crank freed it up.
    Might help someone else.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Speedy Canuck is right. I had to do the same on a 54 Cad 331 motor and trans - takes longer with the motor stuck but you will get it done.