Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot Rod Insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, May 24, 2016.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Are insurance companies getting tougher? I was trying to insure my builder 32 Ford PU with Grundy. and was rejected? I have 3 high end deuces and a new Corvette plus my business insurance with them and their underwriter had a stroke when I asked for a fairly high stated mount on the truck. Commented you can buy finished trucks for much less. I've never had to produce a detailed list with receipts for everything I've spent on the truck (don't get many receipts for parts at swap meets or on here) They have taken my word plus pictures to date for at least a dozen or more cars I've insured with them. I admit I've got a lot in the truck but as is my usual I don't cut corners and try to use the best parts available. I have a bad habit of over building but I like nice stuff. I'm currently trying Hagerty so we'll see. Just my rant.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I have heard that Grundy is getting unfriendly with cars under construction. Guess it's their loss.

3. RatRoy

RatRoy

I have my 40 insured with State Farm....

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have Heacock, no complaints and have been very attentive to all my needs.
    They are always at the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green and are one of the sponsors so I figure they get it!
    KK

5. primed34

primed34

I just dropped Grundy over the only claim I ever had with them. Most of the people I talked with were nice, but one woman was not. No one that I dealt with knew anything about old cars. Seems to me that if you are going be in this business you need to have some idea about what your dealing with. Too many other companies out there to put up with this type of business.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe get a professional classic car appraisal to help justify stated value

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

Hagerty is where I would be if the laws in my county didn't require my car to be parked in a garage when I'm not using it. I have a single car garage... It doesn't fit. Lol

Sent from a Glade Air Freshener

9. Grundy does not do any new business in Louisiana. If your policy lapses they will not reinstate it.

10. blackout78666

blackout78666

A bit off topic but just got my 1930 registered and on the road/ insured through my regular insurance people. It's got YOM plates and is insured for original sticker price of car 465.00. Gonna have to research these folks soon but I've heard there are a lot of concessions to meet. Storage, mileage,condition,etc. I'm sure it's been covered but I cracked up at the insurance

11. JakRak

JakRak

I use Hagerty. I looked at Heacock but they have some limits on their classic policy that I didn't like.

12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Hagerty, for me ,

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hagerty Classic Car Insurance...free roadside flatbed towing, guaranteed value, no fixed mileage, great rates. Call 1-877 991-9513, that's 1-877-991-9513, or www.hagerty.com. Operators are standing by. If you don't call them today...they'll still be there tomorrow.

14. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

I just renewed and bumped the value of the coupe up by 10K. was painless and no problem at all.

15. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

American National/CHROME has "under construction" coverage. I just wrote one today as I am an agent for them. We offer spare part coverage, flat bed towing, etc etc. Check them out! Plus, we can do all your other insurance as well and that way you get all the discounts!

David Gersic likes this.
  16. Try talking to another person @ Grundy. Your person may have been having a bad day. I have had nothing but good from them. I recently upped the value on my 34 roadster with them.

17. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Same for me, just last month, so I have $22 K in parts w/o insurance, have had many other cars insured that are less finished that this one, I also have Builders ins with them.
    Watching for your results with Hagerty.

18. alchemy

alchemy

I tried to insure my '32 tudor with old paint for a fair agreed-value last year with Hagerty. They went round and round about the value I picked and required me to itemize the value of individual parts. I gave each item a fair value and the grand total was way over the amount I wanted, but they would still only insure me for $20,000. Said my paint job wasn't in good condition. If they knew old car values they know the car would be worth above their valuation if the body was MISSING!

Then I get their company magazine and in it is a giant ad for some parts vendor with a picture of a barn-find truck as big as day. And articles written by Hagerty about the rising value of "survivor" cars.

I'm looking for a new policy/company for this coming year. Waiting to see what you all recommend.

3Deuce40 likes this.
  19. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Grundy is A number 1 in my book. Outstanding company to deal with!

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Finally landed with Hagerty after sending them a couple dozen pictures and a detailed list with costs of all the major components + total body shop cost to date. They suggested that I insure it with a value closer to my investment than I was seeking. They seemed very fussy about how far the truck was going to be driven compared too Grundy. I think they may be a little higher than Grundy, we'll see.

21. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I switched from Hagerty to Grundy when a previous car caught fire & it took 3 months to settle the claim. Grundy gave same coverage at 1/2 the price on a replacement car, 1940 Ford sedan. since then I have been re-building it, just finished in spring of 2015. called to increase value each year as I got closer to being done with no issues. when finished they asked for pictures and had no problem getting agreed value of $40K. 2016-04-26 00.54.26.jpg 2015-03-06 20.43.05.jpg

Finn Jensen likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAA So Cal classic car

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  23. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Every one has a "goto" company, until something goes SOUTH. I've had Hagerty until they informed me my tagalong trailer was not insured (large tear drop type) not even for LIABILITY. At that time they would not even insure a LUGGAGE TRAILER for liability. (that may have changed, I don't know). I went to my normal carrier (State Farm) and they said no problem, but they did charge a lot more. After I sold off my tagalong, I started building a 32 Sedan, State Farm would not insure a "builder" unless it was Licensed and a driver. Went to Condon and Skelly, they said no problem, give us pictures and progress reports and your good to go at 30k value, also insured my Avatar 48 through them. At what I think is good price. Sold the sedan, but still with them. Bill Rinaldi

24. I'm playing the classic car insurance game with my insurance company right now. This is Progressive and they use Hagerty. I have 3 other cars, DD type, with Progressive.

I talked with my agent yesterday and I sent her about 6 pictures of my car. She calls back today and says this is a project car since it has primer on it. I should have said it was a flat grey car. She asked twice if it has a racing engine in it. I said it was changed from a 6 to an 8 and the engine was rebuilt. Anyone that hears it may pick up on the cam. HP may be close to 400. In one of the pictures some of the engine is visible and the chrome air cleaner and valve covers are obvious.

I'm trying to get a $20k value on it since that's what I have in it so far. I ran a spread sheet of what I have laid out for the majority of parts and services performed so far. I may have more if I tallied up every receipt I have for it (got more than a few things at Ace Hardware). She asked what I would value it with paint and I said $30k. She's going to have to get back to me... again. I attached a couple of pictures that were sent to my agent.

Attached Files:

25. My wife and I own 8 vehicles plus a truck my company provides me for business use. We've been with Grundy for 19 years.
    Yes, prices have crept upwards but I'm still happy with them.

My local agent is a whole 'nuther story however.

26. Someone should put a link to Hot Turkeys thread.
    Grundy sure screwed him over.

27. Not a word from my agent after we talked this morning. I have a couple of other names and may contact Hagerty direct tomorrow.

28. donno

donno

Like 3Deuce40 said, American National. We had Hagerty and never had a problem. BUT... when we compared prices and coverage we went with American National. Home policy also.

29. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I just signed on with American collector,However cannot say good or bad at this point You never know how they treat you until you have to use it..

wraymen likes this.
  30. Some good info guys. I'm looking for a change myself.