Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Worth Saving? 1929 Chevy PU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, May 21, 2016.

1. Smoothy

Smoothy

So here's the deal on the 1929 chevy truck, it was my Great Great Grandfather's that was used on his farm and in the local area as a dairy/grocery delivering vehicle, up until it was last licensed in 1950. That would have been about the time that my grandpa was learning to drive, and this was what he learned in.

The hardest part is putting aside the family history and determining if it's worth the time, effort, and money. I already can see it will be a huge pain just trying to find parts, 100% of the truck is there however and what could be repaired wouldn't need replaced, but I'd really like to deviate it from stock and do a more traditional build, maybe even keeping the straight six.

So tell me, and be honest, what exactly am I looking at here? 20160521_175408.jpg 20160521_175349.jpg 20160521_175448.jpg 20160521_175511.jpg 20160521_175545.jpg 20160521_175634.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Mostly depends on your time, talent, and wallet. If it were me, I would save it, but that's because I can do it. If you can't, it's going to be a money pit.

Smoothy and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Hate to say it, but parting it out might be the best option. Lots of good parts that will sell, like the wheels, suspension, gauges, radiator/shell... Does the shell have ventilation slats that turn? If so, the Chevy guys will love that accessory- make sure to get all the parts for it.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hell yeah, save that puppy, or in your case big dog!

If you could use a good solid pick up, do it. And you have some general skills

Find a street rodder forum, buy the best solid set of 1/2 or 3/4 ton Chevy AD 49-55 axles (complete drum to drum, spring bolt to schacle bolts) you can get, to them they are "worthless". Maybe even get Collum and steering wheel.
    1934-36 Chevy Master wire wheels and 1934 to 1941 artillery wheels fits nicely.
    Pedals and master are available from
    any street and hot rod shop and pick up vendor.
    Run any straight six newer then 1954. With a "modern" transmission, it will feel like a newer truck, look like an old and still be both HAMB friendly and be "hot rod thinking"applied.

Rustolium or tractor paint on all steel and run it everywhere and feel happy when you stand at Home Depot or the lumber yard and feel happy that you got the room in the back and fun under the hood.

That's what I would do.
    And everyone knows that's if you can use it you will find the room for it, but it you have to fight the crash box and beat up splasher motor, you might not be as happy about taking it out.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Smoothy and tb33anda3rd like this.

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    wraymen and Smoothy like this.
  6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Everything is worth saving. The question is, is it for you to save or pass it on to the next guy. I'm struggling with the same problem with my grandfathers 37 Chevy. It's all there but was stored in a chicken coup for 40 odd years. Needs a lot of work (albeit not as much as yours!) and is in overall good shape but I'm wrestling with the sentimental vs. reality aspect. I'm afraid reality is going to win out in the end.

7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So...

Are you surfing craigslist for good Chevy AD parts and taking small notes of stuff out there :D

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Put it on a later-model chassis and do something like this, 1928-dodge-extended-cab-hot-rod-or-race-car-hauler-hydraullic-tilt-flatbed-1.JPG to haul your '56!

9. No it is not easy but how cool to know that you have not dad or moms truck not granddads or great granddads but great great granddads truck, That is some thing so many of us just wish we had the chance to have. I thing it very save able. And if you have a child even cooler that they could have that truck. I hope that you will save it even it you hot rod it. good luck man

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Save it. Don't part it out as you are only addressing a small group of people as hardly any of those parts are wanted by anyone else. Save it for sure. As mentioned, Ad chevy truck parts work great. Use the front end from any 47-early 55(preferably 53-early 55 for better brakes) and you can use a 55-59 chevy truck rear end. Any straight six from 54 will do(235 or 261) with a t-5 5 speed stick behind it, or even a gmc inline. Surely don't part it out.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Save it. Or just get it mechanically sound and drive it like it is. It's a very cool truck

12. I wish I could find my dad's old 30 ford pickup truck...been in our family since it was bought new by my dad's cousin, restored by my dad, inherited by me and stolen in '05.
    Point is, if it has sentimental value to you it's worth saving. Can you do woodwork? There's a lot of wood in the chevy truck cabs but it can also be replaced with steel.
    I'd love to find such a truck for myself...I'd go with a chevy 250/292 six banger, 5 speed with a flatbed or stake bed.
    rockysabone.jpg

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Save it save it save it!...family history is worth gold!....(even if it is a Chevy!)

Smoothy likes this.
  14. exterminator

exterminator

Keep it. It being your gramps truck makes it so valuable to you and your family and you could never replace it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You HAVe to save it because it's Grandpa's. Look at the "what did your Grandparents drive" thread for inspiration.

If you don't know what style to go with, start with dis assembly, then do the cab sheet metal repairs as that will have to be done anyway.
    If you can get the engine to turn/run you could restore it as a parade/go to town vehicle.

Paul 55's pic is a pretty cool idea.

I'd go full fendered with a bed like a lot of phone booth Model A pickups are done (think Jake Jacob's pickup).

16. anteek49

anteek49

if you are a wanna e builder who wants everything from 1-800 streetrod sell it if you have the knowledge to build a hot rod without the internet and catalogs ,JUMP ON IT!!!!!

17. Squablow

Squablow

If that were my grandpa's truck, I'd build it.

But I don't think I'd even bother with the heavy duty suspension and all that. I think all I would use is the cab, hood, grille/radiator and the headlights/headlight bar. I'd probably put it on a Model A chassis and use Model A fenders and pickup box. A Chevy engine would be a natural, either a big 6 or a V8.

I'd want to make it into something useful and a huge flatbed wouldn't do much for me, wouldn't even fit in my garage. Sure you might be able to chase down a Chevy box and a set of fenders but the Model A stuff is out there and so much easier to find (or buy new stuff) and the design is so similar anyway.

But a hot rod half ton pickup would be lots of fun, and using the Ford chassis and suspension would make putting it together a lot easier, for me at least.

18. alchemy

alchemy

That truck will take a TON of metalwork and a TON of woodwork, and won't have much value when it's completed. Make sure you are going to appreciate the project and the result because you might be the only one. Don't plan on getting your investment back if you need to sell. Just do it for love.