Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Crminal 57 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crminal, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Figured I'd start a thread to post some pics of my 57 F100 truck build. Gonna be slow going and my emphasis is on working on the truck piece by piece, keeping it running the whole time.
    As some of you know, taking too much apart at a time means it may never go back together!:mad::D
    The day it came home
    IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2399.jpg IMG_2393.jpg
    Was very pleased to find it in No. Ca., built in the Fremont plant so must have been a local truck.
    It has a Y-block with Merc valve covers but origin and size is unknown. I have a 292 built by McTim64 which will eventually replace this engine.
    IMG_2899.jpg
    Still needs to be made pretty;)

I really wanted a short bed, so I took 8" out of the frame...
    IMG_2784.jpg IMG_2785.jpg IMG_2792.jpg
    Went back together well and goes down the road straight.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - great year to have and build

crminal likes this.
  3. Sweet, I Want to follow this. I love these trucks.
    Good luck

crminal likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wanna see your rearend:eek:
    Housing that is.

5. I'm not modest, here ya go!
    IMG_2901.jpg

6. Found an old step side bed without fenders and then picked up some fenders which need a bit of rust repair under the steps. Although I don't dig bodywork, I'll force myself!
    Anyway, fitted the bed to the frame. Worked out well.
    IMG_2903.jpg
    Getting all the old paint off with a stripping disc and doing the required bodywork one section at a time.

kidcampbell71 and michael knight like this.
  7. Looks good in person too! Thanks for the bed, it will look good on my '58 when I get around to working on it. :)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. verde742

verde742

mine is no longer available; SOLD $12,000. IMG_3089 (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  9. spags

spags

Let me know when you pull that old y block out, I would be interested.

crminal likes this.
  10. Oh, now I get it! Just read your other post about the 57 only housing.....;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

don't feel to bad your "slow build" is running laps around my project.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Well, I figured that I'd update this thread with a few things I've gotten done to the truck.
    Some of these things maybe helpful to some one with an "Effie" in the future, so here goes..

Worked on getting the rear end lower. So removed the springs and attempted the "reversing the eyes" trick.
    IMG_0275.jpg
    Using my press and marking the spring every 2", I was able to it straight. Then reversed the arch, following a template I made of the original curve. Now I'm 1 1/2" lower than the original.
    IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0283.jpg
    Then its on the the forward rear spring hanger, which I removed and flipped.
    IMG_0284.jpg IMG_0286.jpg
    It all worked pretty well, and I ended up with this. I figure about 4 1/2 to 5" drop.
    IMG_0294.jpg

40FORDPU, Stogy, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  13. The area where I cut and shortened the frame seemed sound to me and I was reluctant to "plate" it. But I figured better to be on the same side.
    Cleaned the frame to bare metal (wow, it had the undercoating stuff everywhere) and made some plates to strengthen the weld area. I found that a needle scaler tool worked well on the undercoat.
    IMG_1067.jpg IMG_1071.jpg
    Disassembled the rear end and found out that it had 3.10 gears from a mid 50's t-bird which were in great shape. Took it to be rebuilt and have limited slip installed. I was on the fence on the gears and I was thinking 3.00 or 3.25 so this was perfect! She runs about 2600 at 70 mph so I'm good with that.
    IMG_1069.jpg IMG_1079.jpg
    For painting, Im using a Sprayfine HVLP turbine unit and SPI epoxy. I'm not an experienced painter and found the SPI epoxy to be user friendly and it sprayed out well.
    IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1083.jpg
    All new brakes, new lines, etc.

14. Wow! A thread about a guy working on his own truck! Looks good. I'll remember your comment about undercoating, if I ever decide to tackle the underside of my current car.

crminal likes this.
  15. Sorry to hijack but just wanted to share that the old long bed went to good use. Prompted me to do a repaint and it came out so nice. I even had a bed liner sprayed into it. So much better than the old bed. Thanks man! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Stogy and Hatchet like this.
  16. That old Ford steel still has a lot of work to do. Your truck looks great.

Stogy and mctim64 like this.
  17. Wow, it’s been quite some time since I posted regarding this truck! Things are changing for me and this truck may end up in the classifieds soon. Have a sweet spot for this truck but sometimes they gotta, “go on down the road” as they say…

pprather, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Did you get the new engine swapped out?

Stogy likes this.
  19. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Cool that your keeping it y-block powered

mctim64 likes this.
  20. ...Sorry to hear that you may soon sell the truck. Hoping that you might make another East Coast tour once again. ...Don.

21. Have not. Still have the engine that McTim64 built for me. The current engine runs so well that I never pulled it.
    I’ve got a Flat-O-Matic bellhousing and C-4 which was going to complete the drivetrain.

mctim64 likes this.
  22. Still traveling Don (one reason for no time), and if I get anywhere near where you are, we’re hangin out!

mctim64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Hate to see you sell that truck, such a nice one. I'm getting good use out of the bed you gave me. Just put A/C in my '58, getting old and like the comfort in the 100*+ Valley. ;)

crminal and lothiandon1940 like this.