Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price of 8 track players. HOLY COW!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stangman05gt, May 11, 2016.

1. eticket

eticket

Now if you want to be creative, I took another 8 track player, and gutted it, and then mounted my head unit in the trunk with a long cord for the controller and ran it into the tape player, along with a long cord for a USB drive.
    8trk2.jpg 8trk3.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. Gabby

Gabby

About 6 years ago, I bought a house that was owned by a hoarder/collector of many things. He had died in the house and most everything in the house was tossed in the trash as he was found about a week after he died. His son said he had some 60's autos and decided he needed 8 track players for them and then he needed tapes. They had a yard sales and was offered $50 for all tapes. They turned down the offer as they had many . We let them use the barn on the property for one year and they returned for a final yard sale . He had over 1000 bikes. They final sold all of the 8 tracks for $225 7800 tapes

3. Geez! I have a Craig under-dash 8 track player new in the box from 1972! I bet it could be worth a fortune...

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I started out with a Radio Shack under dash 8 track. When I got my first full time job, I went first class....Sears AM/FM in dash 8 track, the kind that the tape went in through the radio dial. It had a cool led light for the slide rule radio dial that glowed bright red on a FM stereo station. Even had five push buttons like a factory radio! Had two of the tape cases, I think they held 24 or 36 tapes each, kept one in the trunk with stuff I didn't listen to much, the other in the back seat. Still have a bunch of the 8 track tapes stored somewhere.

Bought a brand new 80's model AM/FM cassette off of ebay for $5, going to put it in the Lincoln behind a door in a console I have planned so it will be out of sight. Just wanted a simple AM/FM for the few times that I might actually listen to it. Oh, I have a brand new set of those old wedge style speakers, too! They are marine speakers, about 4", just right for the front kick panels without being in the way.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a buddy way back when that took the back seat out of his 69 GTO and installed a power inverter, shit ton of speakers, tubed Akai amp and a reel to reel. The goat rocked! Probably not the fastest poncho in town but the loudest by far.

6. Yesterday, got to enter an old barn and shop and check out many years of hoarding. Property was recently sold and family is first moving what they want. Then pretty much by invite they will sell stuff off. What doesn't sell will be left behind. I did leave with a little suitcase built to haul 8 track tapes. Full of tapes for $5-. Needs a little tlc but not bad overall.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Backup tapes... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463701183.676683.jpg

Squablow likes this.
  8. Going out on a limb but guessing you must really like Boston, lol.

volvobrynk, Truck64 and Moriarity like this.
  9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

must be more than a feeling:p

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you can find an old Akai 1800SD (sold as Roberts in the US briefly) reel to reel with the 8 track player / recorder on the side, you'll have it all. I got one like this in 1970 when I was stationed in Germany to make my own 8 track tapes from LPs. But then came the Phillips cassettes... and CDs... and who knows what's next. Gary
    akai1800SD.jpg

mrspeedyt and volvobrynk like this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Maybe I never had the " good brand" tape player, had several different ones back in the day, none of them were worth a s**t, IMO, and being a Wi. Resident, learned do not put tape or cassette in when its cold. For 300/400 $$$ you Can buy a radio that looks old style, have one in my 51 Merc, can connect to remote CD player, IPOD or play a cassette,which I never thought was much good either. My 2 cents this AM.

mrspeedyt likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

We are working on installing the caddy unit in the Edsel.

[​IMG]