Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I'm about to chop my 1950 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bboppkat, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bboppkat

bboppkat

Im about to chop my car and I wanted to use any buick rear glass that looked good but almost all of them have a crazy curve on the ends, which rear glass should I use? and does anyone have any for sale

2. older gms had smaller back window ???
    why the need to stay gm???

my 52 buick riv hrdtop had3 piece unit would have been impossible to cut / chop so i din't

some fourdoors olds, chev , poncho did have a one piece rear

if i rember rite some one flipped /swapped side to side the corner curved pieces on a chopped car i saw at the kkoa nats in the 80's

try it by laying on card board for a template an see how far the chop will allow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. bboppkat

bboppkat

I wanted all the Aesthetics of my car to stay buick but seems like thats not going to happen. I do want a bigger window in the back though. A friend said a 57 buick would fit good on a chop but I cant find any good pictures, then getting my hands on one is another problem

4. bboppkat

bboppkat

now
    [​IMG]

chop with the buick glass

[​IMG]

I thinking something like this But I made this glass up
    [​IMG]

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

There is a guy on here from Florida that has a pretty bad ass chop on his...I think his screen name is tylerdurben..... everything about his car is just right.

ok his is a 51..but it's still bad ass....here's the like to his shop and build...I hope he does not mind.

http://www.yarilswork.com/live/

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think a back glass out of a 49/50 something Fleetline or similar fast back would be a good bet for being right for that car. That wrap around rear glass needs to go away to look right at any rate when chopping that car.

After looking at Tyler's build on his Buick I may have to back up and rethink my above statement. That batch of photos shows that A Buick of that model looks better with a mild chop too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  7. bboppkat

bboppkat

[​IMG]
    this is the back glass I took off

8. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

could you just cut the corners on the glass with sand blasting and lay it down a little?

9. bboppkat

bboppkat

thats what I was thinking but 5 glass shops around my area,los angeles, said they couldnt because its curved and solid. a sandblaster could cut glass? or a special sandblaster or special beads/crystals used with a sand blaster?

10. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Tyler clearly ( no pun intended) cut his front windshield... it's in the build photos...
    I'd contact him and ask how he did it. I see a template made of card board....

11. skyrodder

skyrodder

the 3 piece 49 merc would look cool

12. skyrodder

skyrodder

was it a 4 door?

13. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Yes. You do it by putting thick layers of duct tape over the edge of the part you want to keep and then blast -very lightly- along the edge of the tape line to eat away a cut line to do away with the glass you don't want. But you have to be very patient and not blast too much in one area at once because it will crack very easily from heat.

There have been some good posts about the process if you search around some.

14. bmxarmy

bmxarmy

here is a few of my dads 51 i chopped, used a 49 or 50 ford truck rear window.....i think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can ask the old man exactly what it came from if it helps at all or if you need more detailed pics of the chop.

15. Why? they look good the way they are, you know classic Buick lines and all. Rags

16. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Ah don't chop it... Was it a 4 door?

17. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I still say go look at Tyler's car...he did a mild chop just to clean up some lines and man... she's pretty sweet

18. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

And if you do decide to chop it, go find some 50 buick 2 dr doors and make it a real two door. I think it'd look better with the chop.

19. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

shit...throw a set of skirts on there and some sombrero hub caps and rock that thing

20. bboppkat

bboppkat

thanks man this really gives me an idea

21. fryguy

fryguy

I have a '53 Buick mordoor that is being chopped. Kicked the idea of what rear glass to use. Originally was going to use 49-52 Chevy sedan back window. I ended up going with a '50 Merc back window. I think it looks good.

[​IMG]

22. that merc back window is killer...looks super, nice job