Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 32 grills on 28/29 roadsters

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jalopydownunder, Feb 22, 2015.

1. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I have an orginal 28 Roadster body on a 32 frame and we had to have a special cut down radiator made to fit the hole. However I am using a SBF engine that is longer than a SBC or a Flatty so mine may be different than yours. We had to move radiator forward a bit and notch the 32 Brookville shell to lower it. Otherwise the shell would have been higher than the cowl. It looked stupid. Too late to measure but will do so tomorrow morning. This is very important for overall correct look. We wanted a high rear end and low nose. Even with a 4" dropped 28 axle we struggled to make it look correct.

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

I think it was Chip (need louvers ?) who once opined that the best way to overcome engine fitment/hood proportion problems in a hot rod is to start at the radiator and work your way back, rather than at the firewall and work your way forward.

After seeing any number of awkward looking hot rods with noses too long I've got to agree that his idea makes a lot of sense.

It also helps to use an engine that is a fairly good fit length-wise, or you'll end up with very limited foot room where the engine/transmission intrudes through the firewall and into the passenger compartment - and it will to a greater or lesser extent.

Does this make construction more difficult? Hell, yes it does, but in my opinion the extra effort is worthwhile. Henry's proportions are very hard to improve upon, and very easy to mess up.

hipster likes this.
  3. I have a 30 A ccpu. I am told a 32 she'll is an direct replacement. The difference between 28-29 and 30-31 is 28 -29 is 2" shorter.

4. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Here's one I'm working on....full height shell
    20150710_173851_resized.jpg 20150710_174113_resized_2.jpg

Just Gary, jkluge and bct like this.
  5. bct

bct

Nice car. Dreaming of the day mine is that far along. Inspiration for sure.

6. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

Did you notch the bottom of the shell so that it would drop low enough to be inline with the top of the cowl?

7. I used a Brassworks Highboy rad. Shortened 2 inchs by them. Trimed about 2 inchs off the sides of the shell.
    Also used 2 rolls of masking tape to get the proper look. DSCN0763.JPG

inliner2318, waxhead and missysdad1 like this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nothing looks more period than a filled and peaked '32 shell on a Model A. Unchannelled '29 looks best with a shell cut an 1" or 2", IMO. '30-'31 cowl is "bulkier", can carry off a full height shell dropped between the rails better in my opinion. Someone said a '28-'29 cowl looks like a curvy waist on a hot chick a few days back, if you want to carry that look through, a sectioned deuce shell does it.

rgrhoward and need louvers ? like this.
  9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Is there an exact measurement that can confirm the correct radiator height from top of frame to top of radiator tank?
    It seems there are many radiators offered for this purpose but are only 22 1/2" high, from my general estimate this height would be way too low and while that means the radiator would fit into the grille shell it may look wrong, but worst problem I see is that the support rods would not be level and kind of dive down.
    My best guess is that installing a 32 grill shell onto a hiboy/fendered model A frame requires a 32 radiator that is chopped to approx. 25" in height from top of frame to top of tank.
    In saying this I am referring to a grille shell that is smooth and does not use the original filler stuff for real or for looks.
    So far I have not found a 32 radiator advertised that satisfies me that it will fit, as dimensions are too short in height or not offered and hence to purchase a brass/copper radiator is not a cheap exercise and one wonders if the risk of getting such a costly item home and finding it will not serve the purpose is worth it...

Maybe, somebody can correct me if I am wrong but in my case, I want to use a smooth 32 grille shell on a 29 model A, my assumptions are that I need;
    • a stock height 32 grille shell that will need to be cut down.
    • a chopped 32 radiator rather than using a model radiator for best fit to shell.
    • chopped 32 radiator height is approx 25" from top of frame to top of top tank.
    • swap will not work using a model A radiator.

10. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

'32 rad shells are like belly buttons and opinions.
    Way too many.
    They are stuck on anything that stands still.

Blues4U likes this.
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes, you are right I have a model A 1929 frame, but in saying that maybe somebody can confirm if there is any difference affecting height with a 32 front cross member that would influence this discussion.
    If not then we are still OK comparing apples with apples and since Gearheadbill is interested and currently working on a very similar swap he maybe able to help out with how he is choosing the radiator and what height it will be...

12. bct

bct

I love the backlash against the 32 shell on an A. Makes me want one more.

13. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I am out of this since mine is a 32 frame and cannot help with demensions.

14. '32 shells look great on Model A's.

"Almost" everyone has thought so since 1932. ;)

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. banjorear

banjorear

Funny. I didn't start out that way, but I feel the same way. If I didn't by a cut down radiator already, I would swap back.

16. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Yes. Sides of shell cut approx. 3 inches. Radiator is chopped 3 inch Walker.
    Don't listen to some of these guys. Do what YOU want. IMHO...way too much crowd-following going on in the hobby right now.

bct likes this.
  17. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Yes. Hood line is mucho important to get the look.

18. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks to Gearheadbill and others who have added some useful info to this thread and helped answer my particular questions.
    Happy hot rodding

21. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Lots of pictures taken but have never done any build threads. I know people like build threads but.... I remember years ago people here were REALLY MEAN compared to todays HAMB. Probably not thick-skinned enough to put up with the criticism.

22. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

To me, some of these grill shell pictured above seem to sit little high. It becomes more obvious with the hood top. I see a lot of people get this wrong for some reason. Not criticizing just observing.

Here is mine.
    IMG_7314.jpg

23. This is the only real way to do it.^^^^^ Too many cars get built and have the too small shop syndrome. Remember when you are up close to a car this is not how the car is going to look when it is out on the road, you have to be able to step back and take it in.

I am with Danny ( @HOTRODPRIMER ) on the deuce grill shell on an A. More often than not a deuce grill shell does not look as good as the A bone grill shell, unless you are going the whole A on a deuce route. Then they just look right.

I did do one once for a fella that had a vision on an A chassis that came out pretty smooth, but it was not a stock deuce grill shell when we were done, it took considerable slicing and dicing to get the proportion correct to go with the car. Most guys are not going to be willing to take the axe to a deuce grill shell.

need louvers ? likes this.
  24. Speed~On

Speed~On

Hey Jalopydownunder, I was at a show a few weeks ago and snapped a few photos of this cool 28/29 Roadster with a '32 grill. I know it doesn't have a hood on it, but thought you may want to see it anyway. Hope this helps.

Great build!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The Chris Casney and Fuzzy Knight roadsters have totally perfect proportions in my opinion. I'm hoping my car has the same 'look' when done!

26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It looks to me like this car is running an original 32 radiator and there has been no adjustments made to suit the 29 model A.
    Without a hood it is kind of OK, but with a hood it probably would not work as the top of the grille shell is higher than the cowl.
    What I was trying to avoid when purchasing a radiator to suit my model A with a 32 grille, was exactly what you can see in this roadster, where the support rods are not level to the frame.
    That is why using a radiator that is too tall or even too short for the job will affect the support rods and obviously other components like the hood...

27. ydopen

ydopen

This is my first hot rod built from parts. I had to cut a little off sides and used a full size 32 radiator. I had to be creative with a grinder to make the radiator fit. A one inch shorter radiator would have been easy.

Attached Files:

28. GearHead614

GearHead614

No hood yet but maybe someday
    20160518_173624.jpg

rgrhoward likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'32 grill shell bashing is just another new age, post millennial, history revisionist, rod-abilly cred grab...:rolleyes:

pat59, Squablow and 29AVEE8 like this.