Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grand National Rear end.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sttevil, Mar 11, 2016.

1. zbuickman

zbuickman

8.5's came in Turbo Regals 84-87 (3:42)and 442's (3:73) They could also be had with the Aluminum drums. Notice the tabs. Squared tabs = 8.5". ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458424039.774500.jpg

2. Sttevil

Sttevil

Thanks, I got the rearend, picked up a posi and I'm under a grand. Awesome street rod rear end

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Johnboy34 likes this.
  3. Sttevil

Sttevil

If you look at the bearing surface, price, brakes, axles, it makes perfect sense. Run what cha brung build how you like it. ;)

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like it when the newbs pop in, clueless, get the pot stirred with some Facebook bullshit request/question and after they get awesome advise and an answer, they come back like they knew the answer all along.:rolleyes: But that's cool. I'll wait till he posts a pic of those "fat ass tires". THEN, it'll really be funny.

And why the hell is this in "TRADITIONAL HOT RODS"?

5. Sttevil

Sttevil

Really, I just wanted a pic if someone else had done it. Geez...settle down.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I am down to tha ground.:D

7. This was one of the most confused by the OP and participants thread in a long time - So many folks answered without obviously reading the whole thread as it had NOTHING to do with Buick's - Was good for a laugh

8. Jason147

Jason147

9. What he said.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's what he's talking about, but again, it cost the same as a regular 9" rear end, so why go through the hassle? Seems unneeded and over kill in a T Bucket. Oh, shit! I forgot, " Run what cha brung build how you like it." Carry on, Big Dawg!:D

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Grand-National-Rear-End,6587.html

HOLD THE PRESSES! Speedway disclaimer:
    "This rear end is intended for use in circle track racing applications and does not typically work well for street use since it uses 5/8" wheel studs. Most commonly available street wheels accept up to 1/2" wheel studs max."

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is for the Speedway disclaimer. Gee...drill 5 new holes in the pattern you want. Dah. We broke an axle in the Pontiac rear end which had been re-drilled for a Chevrolet bolt pattern. I put the brake drum on which now has 10 holes. Marked the centers of the 4-3/4" pattern and drilled them and installed new studs. It's not rocket science. If I had a GN rear I'd install it in anything I had just like my 3/4 ton pickups.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have a pretty good feeling the disclaimer wasn't for the hole sizes. But hey, they probably don't know what they're talking about, anyway. I just tossed it out there. Wasn't trying to discourage using it. If the guy REALLY thinks he needs that setup, good luck to him.

13. Sttevil

Sttevil

Avail for purchase is 1/2in wheel studs they screw in on the 5 on 4 3/4 hubs ;)

14. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

I have sold alot who put them in their rods, from now on I will ask to send pics back to me . I always have 100 in stock and ready to ship DSCN1468.JPG

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just make sure that the hub register will fit through the wheels of your choice. They are larger than your average axle flange register, so be aware.

16. darkk

darkk

Attached Files: