Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox Master Cylinder Removal

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gijoe985, May 4, 2016.

1. gijoe985

gijoe985

Working on our high school shop project. Kids are having a heck of a time removing the rod from inside the master cylinder to remove it. Are they missing something? I've messed with it some, to no avail, but I told that that I would reach out to the forums to seek some direction.

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

take the snap ring out that holds the piston in.should all fall out

3. gijoe985

gijoe985

Ah, sorry, I meant the linkage rod. That goes through the frame.

4. gijoe985

gijoe985

Maybe we can take a picture of our situation. We removed a bolt from the outside of the frame, but the shaft will not pop out. I think my kids have mushroomed the tip a bit too now because they tried banging it out. (Probably kink a brake line too... #highschoolers

5. insinna

insinna

Have you disconnected the rod from the brake pedel assembly inside the car

6. gijoe985

gijoe985

Well, I guess it is that the rod is stuck on the clutch pedal assembly. We assume it slides out from the clutch pedal. Maybe we'll make a video once we go out there...

Again working with high school kids here. Turn your back for a second and their trying to remove parts with hammers. Fun times. Keeps me young.

7. insinna

insinna

If we are talking about brake master cylinder, there is a bolt that holds tge rod to the pedel....remove that bolt and master cyl. Should slide out of the firewall....and i know what you mean about high school kids....we take them to shadow at our shop.....posting a simple picture or two will help

8. Brentphx

Brentphx

I had the same issue from what I am reading... You're trying to pull the shaft out but it's hitting the transmission isn't it?

The bracket also goes through the frame, pulling then both out at the same time will allow the master to fall on your head. Ask me how I know that one?!? Here's a picture from my thread when I had the same issue!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?posts/11221141/

9. gijoe985

gijoe985

Ok, so our problem is that we cannot get the shaft detached from the clutch assembly. I think they're just rusted together. Maybe we should try some heat?

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Firewall?? Its under the floor

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Good for you, working with high school kids. I want to know how to do this too. On my 50 Crestliner, I gave up and left it there when I put power Discs on the car using a firewall mounted Jeep pedal assembly

12. Brentphx

Brentphx

Once I unbolted the retainer from the outside of the frame rails, I pressed on the bracket while rotating both pieces to get the bracket/shaft to slide together. If you picture the hole in the frame, then the bracket/sleeve then the actual shaft... Press on the bracket from the outside or use a small prybar to get the bracket away from the inner surface of the frame rail.

13. gijoe985

gijoe985

Yeah, I think we need to try rotating it some to break it free. Like a stuck rubber hose. Twist it free, then slide it off. Good plan.

Sadly, when you get a practical 30 minutes a day to work, progress is slow.

14. insinna

insinna

My fault....have 52 its on the firewall...

15. gijoe985

gijoe985

Twisting broke it free. The kids hate me. They struggle for a week and I got it in like 30 seconds.

16. Brentphx

Brentphx

Just tell them it was your vice grip like strength from years of working on cars... And they can aspire to the same!!