Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where to find serial number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardtail75, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Hey guys, I am wondering where I can find the serial number on a '35 Ford 5w and a '31 Pontiac 5w? Would they be on the frame or the bodies? Trying to get ownerships. Thanks.

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ford should be on the frame near the steering box. Can't help on the Pontiac...

3. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Thank you. Would it be the same in model a?

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The 35 would have 2 stamped on the drivers side frame rail 1 near the steering box and one near the hump towards the rear of the frame. the Model A (if it has one) would have one on the drivers side frame rail about 8-10 inches behind the firewall. It can't be seen without lifting the body up. I've heard that Canadian Models A' didn't get the stamping. Not sure if that's true or not though.

5. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Thanks everyone!

6. 1931 Pontaic: Serial numbers on right side of rear cross-member or under left front fender (tag). Starting. 649001.

Engine numbers on left side of crankcase or left front corner of block. Starting: 744001 (approximate).

7. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Wow, thank you so much! Cheers.

8. You can find the answer for the '35 here courtesy of HAMB member Mac VanPelt: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm Note that the DMV does not like to use the number on the transmission (they should all be the same on an all original vehicle) since it is common to replace the transmission. The Model A had the number on the side of the engine and on the top of the left frame rail under the body. The body had to be lifted to see the number on the frame. Sorry I can't help you with the Pontiac.

Charlie Stephens

9. Model As very it seems, mine actually had the numbers closer to the steering box, you can still almost make them out, I have seen a couple that I know were not number jobs this way.. But the standard place for a model A is just inside the cowl. far enough that the body needs to be raised to see it.

10. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Hi Charlie. I found a VIN on my '35 right beside the steering box. It is like this:

* Letter Number Number Letter - Number Number Number Number *

According to the link you gave me, this is nothing like they say. Can I use this for my registration or must I keep looking for other numbers?

11. If I gave advice/opinion I would probably just get the both of us in trouble. It sounds like the right place but what you are finding doesn't match anything I have ever heard of. How about a picture?

Charlie Stephens