Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949-1951 ford anyone use a jamco small block ford engine kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rosswo, Apr 28, 2016.

1. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

has anyone bought a jamco motor mount kit that has the large transmission mount plate that sits on top of the crossmember I DSCN0623.JPG am trying to install one. its about 4 in by 5 in. it sits so high with the trans mount, you would have to cut out some floor, or am I missing something.

2. jerry123

jerry123

I just finished installing a 289 in my brothers 49 . The engine mounts worked great but the trans mounts gave us fits. Instructions are totally unreadable . We ended up installing cross member and cutting the bracket to match up to trans mount and welded it to cross member.
    Hope this helps.

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have a Jamco Ford mount kit , and my trans mount looks nothing like that. Mine is a bit like a piece of angle, that you bolt to the (front of the, iirc) crossmember. I imagine what you have there would do about the same thing.
    I mounted my trans mount in such a position, as I didn't have to cut much of the floor, but my driveline angle is way wrong (very low in the back) , so I'll be cutting my floor however it needs to, and making a new tunnel :( . That, I'm sure will lead to modifying the bottom of my seat, and other stuff . It'll be worth it to have the angle correct. I don't think my issue is due to Jamco making anything wrong , but it's due to the "human variable" - aka ME :)

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Got a pic ?

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you call Jamco about problem? have no pics but, installed 302/C4 in '51 - used about a flat 3/8" plate that bolted to stock rear trans mount and stock '51 trans mounting holes - plate was not very long - did not have to cut floor, except for shifter.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. jerry123

jerry123

No pics but we didn't have to do anything to floor. We used a c4 trans.

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The top of my mount plate is mounted about 1/4 inch or so below the level of the original crossmember. That is apparently a good bit too low. When the mount kit arrived, I remember the instructions being VERY vague about where to place the mount adapter (height-wise). I called Jamco, and he basically told me he didn't know. I figured I would err on the safe side and put it low - wrong decision angle-wise, but it worked for trans clearance. I'll be moving it up quite a bit, probably an inch, if I have to guess. We'll see. I will definitely post pics on my build thread, as well as pics of my 8" rear install and some other stuff I'm doing.

8. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

I did talk to the new owner of jamco today.(nice guy)he said he changed the rear mount to sit flat on top of the cross member to ease installation, man,my body is not bolted to the frame but pushed the body up didn't think there was any cutting required.looks like the old mount that bolted to the side of the cross member got it lots lower. I do have a 1965 c-4 but I don't think they are any taller than a newer one.correct me if I am wrong

9. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

buddy, that's the old mount you have. they changed to this new one last yr.

10. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

do a search on here about jamco, a million horror stories.

11. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

i have been a member here for years and have read about them.I bought the kit on ebay from western chassis,when it arrived it was in a jamco box and i thought oh no.but this new owner is well aware of the way it was and seems to be sure that wont happen anymore. he even said he would fix the problem i have even though i didn't buy it from him,so we will see.

12. Slopok

Slopok

51 was the first year for automatic transmissions, they had a bigger hump than 49 and 50's. That could be the reason it hits.

13. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

that makes sense. ill look at the 51 I have.thanks for the info

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea, there have been plenty of bad dealings with Jamco here and there here on the HAMB. Personally, I've had good dealings with everything I've bought through the years, except this driveline angle thing, and I can't say it was their fault (like I said above). It does "work" , just not 100% the way it should - it's giving me a driveline vibration due to the odd driveshaft angle. I intend to use the heck out of this car, including trips, so I want it correct. I really like the idea that their kit uses stock Ford mounts and bolts to the car with no welding. I'm not real big on biscuit mounts, like the Opie's mount kit - just my preference. I'm excited about the change in ownership and the fact that there is some improving going on. That shows me that he cares about his product. I think either way the rear mount is made, there will need to be mods made to the floor to get the angle perfect on a 49-50 Shoebox.

15. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

back to the top to see if anyone else would comment. stuck a sbc-turbo 350 in yesterday and seems to be a better fit. opinions?

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Personally, I can't see how a SBC can fit any better than a SBF. The engine bay is plenty big to fit either one ... And many others .

17. I made my own mounts and several other motor mount kits for other people for the 49'-51' Ford small block Ford conversion. My mounts that bolt to the motor look like "hockey sticks" made of 3/8" thick plate. Then you have a rubber doughnut type mount in the center. Then "U" shaped brackets out of 1/4" plate that get welded to the x-member. Speedway Motors sells the "U" shaped brackets that bolt to the x-member part# 135-3294. I don't know of anyone who has tried them? The only thing that might be an issue would be the height of those brackets. To tall and you will have issues with the bell housing hitting the firewall. They also look like there made of thin metal. The trans mount I just used the original x-member and welded an extension plate on (C4 trans) Worked great! Butches Rod Shop used to sell a kit like this, not sure if they still do? I have pictures of this set-up somewhere!

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My buddy Craig has a set of Opie's mounts on his Shoebox (bought through Butch's Rod Shop). Worked out well.