Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** APRIL 2016 BANGER MEET - DON'T BE FOOLED BY SUBSTITUTES ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. I was in the most modified class going against automatics and cars that are not legal for street. I'm not sure about how well I did but I did get chased down by an official before I pulled out to head home. He said I was close.
    I know my tire was spinning and rolling smoke but I bet on a dyno, I most likely had the most HP to the one tire lol! I need to check the key lock on my tapered shaft. I may have sheared it!? Iv'e done many burnouts and both tires left black lines! Like I said earlier, I am going to build a new rear end with Strange axles and an LSD or a spool. This was my first ever hill climb race.
    Iv'e only raced on flat tracks. I plan to use one of these. The bright silver V8 201 is a NOS QC. Oh, and yes they are both Culver City Ca. QC rears!:cool:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This last picture shows a strong left tire burnout!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

3. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Very cool car! I've been following your post mostly because of Dan Price's Miller Head on your car.
    They asked a friend of mine to spin the tires to impress the spectators and you did a exceptional job of that!

4. On race day, I will run these tires!:cool:[​IMG]

5. Thanks brphaeton,
    Even when I let off the pedal so it would grab then Id'e slam it back to the floor thinking I was hooked, It would just break traction again. I did have lot's of fun though and can't wait till the fall race!:D
    Joe

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

actually he did damn good for a first timer !

7. edfueler

edfueler

Nice one, Sandman! Yep. Time to weld the spiders up. Haha. Good to see you going hard.

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you weld the spiders up you'll need a coupe extra crew member to help push the car. Specially if you use some fat sticky slicks. You loose some power and things will start to break more often, Pull the axles blue and scribe a line of them. So you can see how far they twist before they break. And you'll need a "tree tape" to see the tires are the same O/D. Left and right .....

It wound be better if you can get a Detroit Locker BUT they can lock up in a violent manner sometimes.

9. thanks edfuler,
    I would weld the spiders if I didn't like using it as a daily driver!
    That incline/grade was a whole new thing to me!
    I race light to light in town up against anything that wants to race, heck I even raced a police car here in my town. ha ha.
    That would not happen with my "OT" SRT!:eek: I never lost a race yet on a short light to light run and I (never) have to smoke the tires like that either!:cool:

Thanks Bluto,
    Your right about all of that for sure! I didn't bring a tire gauge! (Big mistake!) cause them balloon tires will change size with different tire pressure. I did let some air out but it didn't help that much.
    My plan is to find some kind of LSD so I can still make tight turns.
    thanks,
    Joe

10. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

The results of our Auburn hill climb should be out in a few days. Make sure those tires are "DOT' approved- Its in the rules. Full rules are available at HotfourHotfours.
    Thanks for participating- no award for longest scratch!

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Joe

Your welcome.
    Get a tree tape each tire changes constantly and you don't want it steering on you
    I had a car with every third tooth welded. The tires were 33 inches tall . 91 inch wheelbase and 800 ft# @3400 rpm. It would saw ends sometime if you backed out of it. Taught you about oversteer and understeer in the same corner.

I didn't want to sound like a know-it-all just wanted you to know what to look out for

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Luf...599091?hash=item43ed8312f3:g:hvYAAOSwInVXHY-W

Honest a tire gang isn;t close enough

Just ask a dirt track friend

12. Thanks Steve,
    My girl and I had a great time. She's actually wanting me to fix the rear end issue and take it to all the vintage drags!:D

13. Thanks again Bluto,
    My last 31 A coupe had big HP engine and a Champ rear end with a Spool, it was Squirrely, especially in the rain!
    I will get one of them tree tapes.
    Your input is very appreciated!!!!
    Joe

14. Nice run Joe!!:cool:

15. Thanks Tiny,
    Where was you? I kept looking around for you but never seen you!
    Did you go?
    Joe

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

bmw_328 rain.jpg

Did you say rain? My driving around 100+ just getting oil warm before I stuck my foot in it;)

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

pay attention to your girl friend , on more than just racing !
    say hi to jennifer

18. Ha ha,
    I do and I know!:D
    Will say hi for you! She said you was really nice and funny too!
    I need to watch her around guys like you....lol

19. Finally got my pile of banger drive-able. It is down to tuning now. Had the float set a tinge high on the back carb, as was evident by a bit if fuel coming from the accelerator pump seal. I now think there is something physically wrong with my Mallory distributor. I can turn the rotor and stop plate a few degrees before any spring tension from the advance comes in. Not having experience with this part from new I am not sure if this is normal. It sure doesn't seem right. As it is now with the supposed cam and head coupled with the dual carbs the car doesn't have the power that I feel it should. I'll get it figured out sooner or later though, especially with the help from the experience here. Thanks all.

20. Wow!!!!
    Only in my dreams, could I ever drive a car like that!
    I love it!
    Thanks for sharing that picture!
    Joe

21. I would run a Mag! :D

22. I didn't have time to make it, I had company this weekend that wanted to do Kool April Nights. I sat around on the lawn all day Saturday. I'm hopping to make it in the fall, of course I've been saying that for 3 years:rolleyes:

23. All my friends did the same thing! I did the Kool April nights thing last year but had way more fun in Auburn this year!!!:D
    Maybe in Fall you can run your car?
    Joe

24. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461610724.504748.jpg
    In the stock class even. Or hopefully the T will be in fighting shape by then.
    Were there any stockers in attendance?

25. I think there was a few stockers, but I was basically wearing blinders. It was overwhelming for me to do everything myself. I had no help from anyone but my girlfriend who doesn't know anything about cars, not yet at least!:D
    I like the stock A but you should get that T out there.
    From the pictures you have posted, it looks like you have all the makings to build a nice competitive hill climber!

26. Probably competitive as long as I'm not up against you:p My plan is to try to get it going this summer. Makes sense right? Save all the welding for our nice cool summers?:rolleyes: I did find a Turtle Deck finally it should be here tomorrow:D Btw nice Instagram name. Thats what I have your number under in my phone!

27. That's cool! I'm excited for you, getting that turtle Deck tomorrow! The only way you will have to run against me is if you go with an Overhead conversion and run an Automatic or a QC rear! I think some run both!? I'm thinking about ditching the QC all together. For a good strong geared Banjo so I won't have to go up against the guys with the Automatics or Champ rear ends!
    Joe

28. That is correct! I did get a better time when not spinning the wheels but it was a fine line on that incline/grade to get the engine in the power band without spinning away! I'm just happy that the engine ran well and I would have kept at it if I had more fuel or other tires on hand to try out. I have a new list of to do's before the next hill climb race. I bet I'll do good the way it is now, if I was to race the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Colorado with all the winding of the road!:D

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I need to watch her around guys like you....lol
    no way , I'm twice her age & to old for kids !!!!!!!!!!!! tell her thanks ......... steve

joe , youll do fine . 1st time is all learning ........... raced more stuff than I can list

30. Hey, this one was when I actually got a time! I let off the gas after the first 10 to 20 foot so it would grab, then floored it again and ran 1st gear 3/4 of the way up the track then grabbed second. It doesn't show smoke but it was spinning the tires all the way past the finish line! (Never bogged out!)

waxhead likes this.