Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Switched from 750 Holley to 600 Edelbrock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Apr 23, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

FWIW, and this isnt for "Dave", but for anyone else who is thinking of running dual holleys, when you look at a Holley list number on a choke horn, there will often be a - followed by a number, so a -1 indicates the first revision, -2 indicates the second, and so on. This is a number Holley adds every time they make a running change to a given carb design. This can be something simple, like an OOB jet or power valve change, or it can be something that can really throw a cluster fuck into tuning two carbs to run together, like an extra emulsion hole in the main well, or moving the idle feed restriction from the top of the well to the bottom. So if you are are going to run two holleys on a tunnel ram, you want to have the same suffix number. Most anyone that has a clue about carbs will refer to them as a "matched pair".

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Most anyone who is pairing up a set of carbs should be sharp enough to read ALL the numbers ...
    dave

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

UPDATE:
    I checked the numbers today, and it is a 700 Holley Double Pumper. #47782.....6478
    It was running OK, but just too much carb, and perhaps needed a good tuning.
    Question...
    What is a "Fair" price to ask for this......
    Thanks much...

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have a "matched pair" of Carter 750 AFBs on my blower motor. I bought 3 carbs on ebay, about $50 each, and had enough parts (after buying 2 new sets of stock size jets and rods) to build two carbs. The machining date is stamped on some of the castings, the two carbs I used were made within a week of each other. I guess that's how you tell if they're matched. They also have a date stamp on the outside, next to the carb number.

not that it makes any difference!

5. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Wow great thread.... guess I will stir the pot some more...JMO

If you can't tune a Holley carb then every carb is going to be a problem. Holleys are no harder to tune then any other carb if you know what you are doing and they can be made to perform as good if not better than any other carb .. including mpg .., again if you know what you are doing.

Every make/brand has their issues.

I can tune a Holley in my sleep but that is me. So I prefer a Holley. I can also tune a Edlebrock. Which do I prefer to tune and work on ....Holley. Why ? Because after 40 yrs of using them kinda got it down.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There you go Drama Dave, I edited the original post, JUST for you, so you can feel all good inside...;):rolleyes: maybe you can get Ryan to update your Hamb screen name...:D

7. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

As far as matched set of carbs.. Again JMO
    If you can get a set of carbs that are same model and cfm ..etc

and are fairly close to same manufacture date.... ( such as both carbs made in 1970 versus one 1970 and the other 1980 )

They can be what I would call " blue printed " . It is a lot of work but when you are done you will have as close as possible to a " matching set " of carbs that you can get.

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

?

9. squirrel

squirrel

I got a chuckle out of that, too

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Well said !!
    FG why would I want my sceen name changed ? I've always been perfectly happy bein' me
    dave

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

if the shoe fits....:rolleyes:

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Glad I was able to "get under your skin" LOL
    dave

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

cluttering up a thread with four fucking posts arguing semantics, nothing about carbs. Congratulations...
    Oxygen is wasted on some...

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Back to my question....any suggestion on selling value ??

15. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

I went back through the thread ..,

I guess I missed the take off parts other than a Holley 750 ., So to clarify which 750 and what Holley intake ... ???

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think he clarified it was a 700 dp? I would say probably $150 OBO? At that price, it will go fairly quick, or you can ask more, and maybe get it, but you will have it longer.
    Probably just needed a little more shooter, but...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Hdonlybob likes this.
  17. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

What I read was new intake and carb.
    Holley was 750 ...Not that I want it just was trying to help.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I agree. The best carb I ever ran was a Q-jet. But on a Hot Rod, with an exposed engine, they just looked so damn ugly. Yep, I chose visual impact over performance, but the difference in performance wasn't that much of a loss.

Does someone make a polished Q-jet? Hmm........o_O

19. squirrel

squirrel

I hide Qjets under big air cleaners, and closed hoods...they sure drive nice when they're working.

Old TFFdriver likes this.
  20. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

No need to hide Holleys

Q jet

:D:cool:The secondaries are like your cousin with the big DDD cups .,..:eek: Great to look at until the get opened and big ol sucking sound...,

Holley like a nice firm
    D's you remember from high school ..,,:D Smooth firm all the way through ..,:cool:[/QUOTE]

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

As for the one post about the gas mileage thing, my 23 modified actually did get 25-26 mpg on the interstate, if I ran along about 60-65 and stayed out of the secondaries. 350 Vortec, 600 cfm Edelbrock, 2 something gears in the rear, and NO wind resistance as it was super low and light. Shocked the Hell out of me.

Then I put two Rochester 2 barrels on for looks, and the gas mileage went south and so did performance. But they looked better than one 4 barrel. :D

Don

22. squirrel

squirrel

Adjust the spring on the air valve, they work great.

23. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Like I said earlier in this thread. A carb is a carb be it on a weed wacker or boat. It comes down to your ability to tune a carb and your knowledge of the carb or carbs you are working on. :)

24. Tune a carb! Please tell us how to set the off idle air/fuel mixture on a car that does not have an O2 sensor.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Depends on the carb. Holley you tap the feed passage in the main body that leads to the transfer slots, and make some restrictors by drilling set screws with a number drill set. I generally use a 10-32 tap in the transfer slot feeds, ifr, and pvcr's, that way I can use the same restrictors in all orifices.
    Q-jet or afb, you work with a combination of metering rods and power piston springs.
    Is that what you mean, or are you asking how to tune a carburated motor with a lambda? The intent of your question is a little foggy to me, its not clear if you are asking about the physical means of altering the transition circuit, or how to tell if it needs to be altered??

Old TFFdriver likes this.
  26. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Please bring the engine to me so I can I work on it in person. In order for me to tune it I need to actually need to be working on the motor !

REALLY!! What the heck are you thinking if you think I can tune a carb over the internet ... You know nothing about tuning a carb.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

changed a 750 vac secondary that ran pretty good on my 350 to an eBay 1850 that i rebuilt over the winter.
    Like the 600 better, I don't run over 5000 to much so i get more oomph below that with the 1850

FWIW I sold a Holley 650 DP for $150.00 and paid the same for another

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My SBC gets 29MPG on a flat freeway, at 65MPH.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a wideband O2 sensor. That is how I tune everything these days.

Nothing gets any closer.

30. stimpy

stimpy

when I was a teen back in the 80's I tried to polish one after I burned one ( took all the dichromate off ) in the dip tank and turned it brownish black ) , zinc does not like to polish it smears , I never had the chance to take one to a freind of mine that works at a metals finishing plant to see how it would take to ball burnishing . that carb I took and ground the die flashing down and painted it gloss black and detailed the quarajet name in silver paint , looked nice then , now they offer a aluminum oxide coating on them a place in Florida does it http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.co...Rebuilt-Rochester-Carburetors-Guaranteed.html