Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Odd Intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSwann, Apr 19, 2016.

1. JimSwann

JimSwann

odd intake.jpg

I have never seen this style of intake. Its on a late 60s BBC. Is it a 2 to 1 4 barrel adapter?

2. Edelbrock breadbox with a single 4 top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carry and extra carb and top for it if you use it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. town sedan

town sedan

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.

5. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

If I remember right , they cracked around the top bolt holes

6. squirrel

squirrel

That engine is full of late 60s goodness...thanks for the picture!

7. JimSwann

JimSwann

Its on a pretty cool 32 Ford convertible built in the 60s. For sale on craigslist in the Nashville area.

8. They were known for blowing the tops off. They would load up with fuel back fire and baazzzaaam pop goes the weasel so to speak.

9. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

And with that the top bolt holes would crack:cool:

porknbeaner likes this.
  10. stimpy

stimpy

so you should put blower straps on it eh??? so atleast you can find it again

11. This is why the guys that raced them (they were popular in the gas ranks for a few years) carried an extra top and carbs.

I still like the way that they look and there is actually more then one version as I recall.

12. stimpy

stimpy

the F& F crowd idiots around here would be trying to figure out were the air goes in since there is no hole in the front of it ( thinking its a hood scoop ) . I hate to see how much gas puddles up ( condenses ) in it when you pop open the throttles with that much volume .

13. That falls back on something I have been harping on about forever. You really need to size your carbs to the intake. You have got to keep your plenum full of air for an intake to function properly.

What would happen with these or what does happen I suppose is that the air fuel mix separates when the engine is off. it puddles, you hit the key it loads up and backfires. babaam.

14. stimpy

stimpy

so basically you run them with a small carb to keep the mixture vaporized and a slight pressure depression in the box and just a better flow path to the runners ... so then what s the purpose of it ??? small weinnie syndrome ??? or did it fall under the catagorie of bigger has to be better and if was a bad Idea ???

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

From what I read, they were made for heavy cammed, over bored, big block engines that ran higher RPM's. Like a lot of race only parts, they didn't carry over that well to the street. Logic would say, if you have to do a whole bunch of modifications in order to get a part to operate as intended, maybe you should crawl back onto the porch and let the big dogs play.

It's amazing how many guys are running race setups on the street, just for the "look", and pretending everything is okay.