Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fenderless rides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I just sold 1 of my projects and need to buy something else. I would like to build a fenderless, no hood hotrod. I was thinking of a older pick op with a built or shortened bed with a different grille and shell. What would make a good truck, mainly cab, to do this that would look right? Could some of you post some pics of your rides, pick up or not , to get some ideas?

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

You thinking about something like this?

503743-CoolPu2.jpg

3. Gag me with a spoon!

Texas Webb likes this.
  4. LOL service for eight a spoon just aint gonna get it. :D

A round cab like say a '36 Ford can be done, I have even seen a later cab done well ( Ill find an example). Proportion is the key. If you get too cartoony with the lines you are screwed. ( this actually is probably a '39 cab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But ideally a 30-34 cab is what you want for ease of build. I have seen As and even '34s with deuce grill shells that were just fantastic. I personally think that if one had a 33/34 car grill shell and put it out front of about any of the above mentioned pickups it would be cool. But I am a sucker for the snow plow look. ;)

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Personally I favor the A grille and shell on an A.

IMG_7390.JPG IMG_7395.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Watch your proportions! "Bobber P/U's" can be a slippery slope. I used to hate them, but I've seen a FEW that have the right "look". IMO, if you're mindful of the chop and or channel, you could have something great, instead of something that looks like it was meant to be "shocking."

Remember, "shocking", is the adjective usually associated with rodent rods.

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

a little longer bed, no hood and may not chop it. That looks good.

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That is some cool rides. I went down to a friends today to see if he knew of anything, and ended up buying a 40 chev coupe project he had. Tried to buy it once before, ended up buying it for $1500, and got $500 worth of box tubing and sheet steel. Old car is really solid, front fenders are the worst, and they're not that bad. Guess I stopped at the right time. Whenever I get it home, I'll try to post some pics. Who has reasonable prices for some of the small parts on this car? When I get it home I'll take better inventory.

10. shootest

shootest
    from Upstate NY

11. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

One of my favorites. 1011sr_01_o+1932_ford_channeled_pickup+left_side.jpg 1011sr_07_o+1932_ford_channeled_pickup+rear_left.jpg

12. 29' body ....

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup the only spoon you'll get is wooden spoon whack where the sun don't shine.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Fuck benno, yer killin' me here!:p

15. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]Billys is pretty cool.

16. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

Do you have any information on this build ? Its a nice ride.

Jim

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Its mostly dependent on staying away from an extended front axle that throws the proportions right out the window.

Trucker Jim likes this.
  18. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

Your right !! Keep it where it belongs. Behind the grill

Jim

19. Bader2

Bader2

Billy gibbons saw it in Kentucky,and bought it from the guy that built it. It's in an article in ckd, or old school rods. Google Billy's gibbons 36 Ford truck.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  20. You mean A big catcher don't you. An A doesn't have a grill just the front of the radiator, but many of them from back when they were new even had a screen that they out over the front of them as an add on accessory.

I like an A grill shell on an A as well, once in a while they look too big or on some cars they look too big I should say, but generally speaking it is a good way to go. Good call on your part. ;)

21. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This year cab is the cutoff. 1937 and older.